Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Asperger's child no longer deemed "excessive demand"!!!

Asperger's child no longer deemed "excessive demand"!!!

Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:48 am
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of
Smile Asperger's child no longer deemed "excessive demand"!!!

Well, after 3 months of waiting since we responded to the procedural fairness letter, we have had an amazing response! My husband received a phone call from CHC to say that our son is no longer deemed to be "excessive demand"!!! He has mild Asperger's and dyspraxia, no help needed in school, no therapies or anything and finally after providing a huge file of evidence supporting this, we have received the news that the whole family is now admissible!!!

We are now waiting for the paperwork to come through, hopefully this week. Due to the time taken to sort this matter out, our medicals and police certificates have run out so need redoing. But with the only visits to dr this year being for OH's blood pressure tablets (now lower dose than when medical done - surprisingly, given the stress we've been under!) and me asking for sick note after contracting gastroenteritis in Ottawa on holiday, I don't think we need worry too much!

Despite the lengthy process, I am glad we were open about everything as we will never have to worry about visa being revoked for not mentioning relevant information. It is almost 4 years since we delivered our application to CHC and I now finally feel that the end is in sight!

I have booked our new medicals and applied for new police certs. A huge weight has been lifted off of me and I can relax again and look forward to our new life!

For those of you still waiting and in a similar situation to us, I would say provide as much supporting evidence as you can, as soon as you can. Our application has dragged on for so long since original med requests last year because we had no real info to actually take to the medical.

This is such a relief, I won't really believe it until the visas are in the passports!!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asperger's child no longer deemed "excessive demand"!!!

Huge congratulations - glad your persistence has paid off.

Goodluck with the rest of the process and your eventual new life in Canada.

Poppit
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

I definitely agree - take as much info as you have to the medical with you. If you supply everything up front, they can't ask you for anything else... <well... >

We are certain that paying out for a private ed psych report in advance of the medical and handing over an enormous file of other reports and info saved us from getting an excessive demand letter (all thanks to advice on here - luvmykids )

It really looks as though CIC are genuinely looking at individual circumstances carefully now - there are so many with children with additional needs who are being accepted, it feels as though there has been a real (invisible) policy change somewhere...
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome news - congratulations!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

shashy is an unknown quantity at this point

This is really great news. It must be such a relief for you!
Hope all else goes well
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:18 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Thats brilliant news, sooooo pleased for you! Congratulations!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skimom
This is such a relief, I won't really believe it until the visas are in the passports!!
Shall we start the 'Procedural Fairness Survivors Club' .

I know what you mean - I dropped our passports off in London this afternoon. Roll on 2-weeks time when I'm going back to collect them .
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:36 am
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joepublic
Shall we start the 'Procedural Fairness Survivors Club' .

I know what you mean - I dropped our passports off in London this afternoon. Roll on 2-weeks time when I'm going back to collect them .
Yes, I think we should!!

How did it go when you went to drop the passports off - did you have to wait long? I hope the next 2 weeks speed by until you get your lovely new visas back!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:39 am
Here for now

Thank you for all the nice comments!!

I really wish I had discovered BE sooner and then we might have been better prepared for the original medical. But anyway, I am really grateful for all the advice and support I've received on here, it has eased the stress a little knowing that we are not the only ones to have gone through a few more hoops than most people!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skimom
Yes, I think we should!!

How did it go when you went to drop the passports off - did you have to wait long? I hope the next 2 weeks speed by until you get your lovely new visas back!
I got there early and started queuing at about 1.10pm by which time I was 3rd in the queue. By around 1.50pm there were probably around 35 (less than I was expecting) in total waiting. A man came out and separated us into 2 lines; those 'collecting' and those 'dropping off'. At about 1.55pm he started calling forward the 'collectors' 5 people at a time. As soon as they were finished we (the 'droppers off') were called forward in the same manner. Once inside I met a man at a desk who asked for my File Number, which he then wrote on a check sheet. He then took my Updated Information Chart, passports and photos and put them all in a resealable plastic sleeve along with one of two identical raffle tickets. Finally, he stapled the duplicate ticket to an information sheet which he gave back to me as my receipt. This is what I must bring back with me when I collect my visas. I was done and out of the building at 2.05pm.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou,
This gives us all hope. We are expecting 2 excessive demand letters following our medicals next week and are have as much supporting info as we can possibly get for the medicals, for both my wee man (aspergers) and me (hip surgery pending)

You really deserve this, particularly after such a long time

Well done

Lins
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:58 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, this is great news Our daughter has been diagnosed with autism since arriving in Canada and the support we have received to date has been fantastic, I wish you all the best with your venture here to Canada
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:45 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It should be pointed out that this was Asperger's and I mild form at that. Tests were done and adequate information supplied to counter any concerns. When the first medical report comes in none of that was clear.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

zippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nice
Smile Re: Asperger's child no longer deemed "excessive demand"!!!

HI, just wanted to add my congrats to the growing list. We have been through the same all though technically our son is inadmissable they are allowing us to emigrate as we are paying for private schooling for this first five years.

Good luck and well done and enjoy
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:12 am
Here for now

Have just realised I should have updated on our situation...

3 weeks after phone call from CHC, we received a letter asking for us to redo our medicals (which had run out), obtain new police certs and update background info form (easily done as no changes since last time). We only received med forms for self, OH and daughter so had to check about son. We had no reply to our first email so sent another one a week later and they confirmed that they did not require him to do another medical or chest X-ray.

Medicals were done on 30 Oct and we are now waiting for the new police certs to come back to us.

It would be nice to get PPR before Christmas but hey! we're used to waiting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.