Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Asked to provide police cert for country ive never lived in?

Asked to provide police cert for country ive never lived in?

Old Aug 15th 2014, 7:08 am
Just Joined

lea187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Asked to provide police cert for country ive never lived in?

I just received an email from CIC today saying that to continue processing my application i need to provide a police cert from Ireland. Im a british citizen living in northern ireland and have never spent any time in ireland. I sent them a uk pcc with my application. This happened to anyone else?
Old Aug 15th 2014, 7:11 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asked to provide police cert for country ive never lived in?

I suspect that this is a mistake. Politely point out that you've never lived there and that NORTHERN Ireland is a part of the UK and you have provided that certificate.

CIC often seems to get confused about that. I wouldn't worry
Old Aug 15th 2014, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Yeah i mailed them saying that they are seperate countries and i cant get a PCC from there as i dont have an Irish address. Though I also called CIC and they told me i should get a letter from the Irish police proving ive never lived there... but that could take forvever... so just hoping the letter of explanation will be ok.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lea187
Yeah i mailed them saying that they are seperate countries and i cant get a PCC from there as i dont have an Irish address. Though I also called CIC and they told me i should get a letter from the Irish police proving ive never lived there... but that could take forvever... so just hoping the letter of explanation will be ok.
My gosh, this is the kind of stuff that CIC should know. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is not to be confused with the Republic of Ireland. It's very odd that people involved in foreign policy don't know this.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 10:56 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't believe that you can get such a letter. Anyways if you have to get one to show you've never lived in the republic, why not one from France or Germany or Mozambique?
It makes as much sense.

The CIC line info is dicey at best. I'd wait and see what the reply to your email is.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:00 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by bc_guy
My gosh, this is the kind of stuff that CIC should know. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is not to be confused with the Republic of Ireland. It's very odd that people involved in foreign policy don't know this.
It has been like that forever. It worked the other way round for Ben. They insisted his place of birth was " England" despite us being very very careful to always use the correct place names. In fact we very carefully used " united kingdom" instead of NI to avoid such issues.
Unfortunately CIC think UK = England.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

I dont think it's possible to get a PCC from a country ive never lived in but she insisted on the phone thats what I had to do. I told her they were too completly different countries and she said well people on this end dont understand the dynamics so I'm gonna have to get a letter from the Irish police to prove it. Sounds ridiculous to me that I uave to do that cause they dont know the difference. Surely they could just Google it lol
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:25 pm
Professional Cat herder

I really think you should ignore the misinformation line.
You don't need a certificate from the republic.

Other people from NI haven't had to provide one.
If " the people don't understand the dynamics" then send them a map
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think it's possible to get a PCC from a country ive never lived in but she insisted on the phone thats what I had to do. I told her they were too completly different countries and she said well people on this end dont understand the dynamics so I'm gonna have to get a letter from the Irish police to prove it. Sounds ridiculous to me that I uave to do that cause they dont know the difference. Surely they could just Google it lol
Not to stereotype or anything, but since when did Canadian immigration officials become as clueless as your typical US politician? This is the type of reply you'd expect to hear from someone like Sarah Palin with her "drill baby drill" mantra. A simple Google or Wikipedia search (and a bit of math in Palin's case) should tell them everything they need to know in order to do their job properly.

Anyway, you should just try to get a police clearance certificate from Ireland. Just explain to the Irish that CIC is too clueless to know the difference and attach copies of your email correspondence as evidence. Meanwhile, you should probably write a personal letter to Chris Alexander to let him know that his department knows less than they should about basic geography. He might inform them of their mistake and exempt you from this ridiculous requirement. But then again, making him (and the rest of CIC) look like a fool might hurt your application.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:54 pm
Professional Cat herder

To be fair the people on the misinformation line are probably just call centre agents reading from a scriptrather than immigration officials.
As to how long this has been going on, well since at least the start of when we applied for PR and we've been here nearly 7 years. So at least a decade.

I really think though that once the mistake has been brought to the attention of the case officer they'll see sense.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Yeah im hoping when they read the letter I sent it will be fine. Maybe i should have included a map with it lol
This must have happened lots of times before dont know how they havent sorted it out yet. Wish I had of just put UK now but I didnt think that people dealing with immigration would be so clueless.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You CAN get a pcc from somewhere like Ireland even if you never lived there, but you can't get a letter saying that you never lived there - reason being that one can live in ?ireland without registering with the police, so they would never know whether you had lived there or not.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

To get a PCC from Ireland it says i need to write to the superintendant in charge of the area i lived in and give my details and previous Irish address. So which superintendant would i write too... just pick one at random?? lol
Old Aug 15th 2014, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

To get a PCC from Ireland it says i need to write to the superintendant in charge of the area i lived in and give my details and previous Irish address. So which superintendant would i write too... just pick one at random?? lol
How about writing "not applicable" in those slots and then attaching a letter of explanation stating that you need a certificate which states that you have no criminal record in Ireland (despite having never lived there).
Old Aug 16th 2014, 8:09 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Just e-mail CIC London at [email protected] - provide your full name and file number. Tell them they have made a mistake, you have never lived there, the UK PC covers where you live and that will be it. My advice re the call centre is never listen to them - it isn't very often then are correct on anything.