Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ask the education study years calculation

Ask the education study years calculation

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ask the education study years calculation

Originally Posted by Paul1978
You could always email CIC and ask them, best way to get a definitive answer to your question.
If CIC are willing to help us, I should really no trouble on it!
but the fact that they don't answer me even such kind of simple questions!!!!!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Why is it hard to believe?? You start school at 5 in Britain and finish at 16 or18. So I had 6 years in primary school, and then 7 in secondary. If you have a degree then you have A levels and so will have gone to secondary school for7 years. (unless you were very bright as some were at my school and so gained A levels or University place early)
My problem: I started school in Spain at age 6. Moved to Sweden and started again at age 7. Finished at age 16. Kindergarten is NOT included in this.

The college years was done as adult so have a further 3 year education. Although as an adult you chose what subjects you need for your need to study univeristy, loads of unnecessary subjects are removed and the 3 years college program could be boiled down to 1,5 years. Pretty much what I did.

So I have 11.5 years of schooling instead of 13.

Compulsory in Sweden is the 9 years. Anything after nine years is voluntary studies.

Work that one out.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

try the dutch.

Kindergarten doesnt' really exit, kleuterschool does but its part teaching too, as you learn letters and numbers and writing/pewriting (depending on the year). the you have 12 years of full time study, and 2 years after that which could technicallly be shortened to 1, if you did it in one go, but most take a roudnabout route and then uni which in teh uk would take a levels but don't if you're from holland and go to the OU which doesnt' take grades....

yeah its a mess.
I'm claiming for 17 (14 years school, 3 years uni, 12 month masters).
edited to add: at the worst i get 22 points instead of 25...i'll still pass!

Last edited by Caitilin; Dec 26th 2007 at 10:48 am.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:31 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Why is it hard to believe?? You start school at 5 in Britain and finish at 16 or18. So I had 6 years in primary school, and then 7 in secondary. If you have a degree then you have A levels and so will have gone to secondary school for7 years. (unless you were very bright as some were at my school and so gained A levels or University place early)
I was at full time school when I was four, not nursery, but proper school. It was possible to get a scholarship for private schools back then if you were able to pass the Infant School test (as was), and had someone to recommend you. I moved on at age ten and went to secondary school a year early before passing the 13+ at age twelve. I finished Grammar school and went to University when I was seventeen, graduating with my first degree when I was twenty. CIC has a hissy fit about that, refusing to believe that the first degree was "real" but had to accept it when they looked at the dates on the O and A level certificates and therefore the date I started the degree. It does baffle me that CIC plod on with insisting that we demonstrate educational years, when the two systems are so different and the standard at the entry point to a UK University cannot be satisfied with a Canadian Grade 12.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

In Sweden you have 9 compulsary years. When I was at school age the next level was 2, 3 or 4 years, depending on what you where going to major in. Social studies where 2. Chef as well. Science (biology, chemistry) was 3. Technical (physics and maths) was 4. Now it's all 3 so today if anyone actually did follow on they'd end up with 12 years. Many do not and have only 9.

So basically I "could" claim 12 years.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:30 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

To get honours in scotland is takes 4 years
therefore i get 7 years primary (not including playgroup)
6 years secondary and 4 years degree
= 17 years yeah!!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

When I attended school, a long time ago now, I had 6 years primary school plus 5 years secondary school, I then went staight into work as a Welder.I have obtained various trade certificates, but only have 11 years education.Would anybody be able to inform me as to which box I should tick on the skilled worker application form(EDUCATION).
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

can't he contact his old school and ask them to produce a letter confirming 'x' years of education...?

just a thought :-)
Old Dec 27th 2007, 12:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
can't he contact his old school and ask them to produce a letter confirming 'x' years of education...?
Old school may no longer exist. Best option may be to contact education authorities of the country in question. But nothing will alter the fact that working out "years of education" is not simple for those who have been educated in more than one country.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: Ask the education study years calculation

Hello All

I had similar problems to some on this thread. ie work qualifications (Army), par-time degree. college diploma done more quickly that the normal time.

To get round it I submitted photocopies all my qualifications to ICAS (International Credential Assessment Service of Canada). They verified all the qualifications and provided a official report detailing equivalent Canadian Qualification and time in education. They even evaluated my study through work as a sandwich diploma.

I submitted this to CIC and they credited me with more points than I was going to claim.
I then submitted my application and I now have my visa.