Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ask the education study years calculation

Ask the education study years calculation

Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Ask the education study years calculation

1) If I finish my secondary school education in UK,
and I studied from Secondary 1 to Secondary 7,
how many years I studied in Secondary school in the definition of CIC? 6 years or 7 years?

2) If my bachelor degrees with honours included one year full-time
placement in private sector, and it mentioned into my bachelor degrees
certificates, so that my total years of study is 4 years, how many years
I studied in University in the definition of CIC? 3 years or 4 years?

3) If my master degree is part-time distance learning mode but I need to
come back to university several times in one subject, and I studied
2.5 years mode, and my university's full-time master course usally
spend 1 year, how many years I studied in the definition of CIC?

Thank you
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:02 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ask the education study years calculation

It doesn't matter how many years of study it took you to get to where you are. What counts is the total number of years of education, counting from grade 1 of elementary school through obtaining highest claimed degree (only completed programs resulting in diploma, certificate or degree count) if programs would be taken on standard, full time basis. Thus you must contact your schools and find out how long (in full time attendance years) each education level or program was at the time you completed it.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It doesn't matter how many years of study it took you to get to where you are. What counts is the total number of years of education, counting from grade 1 of elementary school through obtaining highest claimed degree (only completed programs resulting in diploma, certificate or degree count) if programs would be taken on standard, full time basis. Thus you must contact your schools and find out how long (in full time attendance years) each education level or program was at the time you completed it.
Because someone tell me CIC should standardize a standard to evaulate
the total years of education in order to prevent someone study more years
whearea someone which shorten his/her study, any point is to cater
part-time study.

So, I would like to ask, do I fulfil to gain 25 marks in my situation?

Primary 1 to Primary 6 (6 years)
Secondary 1 to Seconary 7 (7 years)
3 years university + 1 year placement (3 years?/4 years?)
2.5 years part-time postgraduate (1 year???)
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:07 pm

I don't know what is the standard, full time length for each level you listed.

But if it is 6+7 (hard to believe though) for primary and secondary then you must document that it was the standard length of full time programs. Normally secondary ends after 11th or 12th grade. Where did you attend primary school?

3 years for Bachelor's degree, placement is your work experience, not part of study.

Master degree - 1 year, if it is the standard length of full time program in the university you completed it. Remember that distance learning will count if it was done through accredited university.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Nov 21st 2007 at 11:58 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

But if it is 6+7 (hard to believe though) for primary and secondary then you must document that it was the standard length of full time programs. Normally secondary ends after 11th or 12th grade. Where did you attend primary school?

3 years for Bachelor's degree, placement if your work experience, not part of study.

Master degree - 1 year, if it is the standard length of full time program in the university you completed it. Remember that distance learning will count if it was done through accredited university.
It is real that because UK system is 6 years primary school plus
7 years secondary school, in my situation, how many years I studied?
12 years or 13 years?
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:34 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immigrants
12 years or 13 years?
Thats the opposite way around to what I did at school (Scotland). We did Primary 1 through to primary 7 at Junior school, then at Secondary school Year 1 to 4 (if you leave at 16) plus year 5 and/or 6. No year 7.

Anyway, it all adds up to the the same amount at the end of the day - 13 tops as they are inclusive years.

The education points system is where we got stuck with our applications forms. OH did a full-time college course, plus a 1-year p/t HNC in Electronics which was normally a 2-year course full-time. If you are bright enough to pass it in 1 year, then it seems that you are penalised for not taking 2 years to study for it. He also studied in the army and got certs but it was difficult to work out how to calculate years of study. In the end we hired a consultant and he worked it all out as we were borderline points.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:01 am

No, you are not penalized - if you complete a 3-years full time program on the 1-year accelerated basis you will be credited with 3 years of education for that program. Providing of course that you document beyond any doubts what is the standard, full time duration of the program.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:01 am

12 years or 13 years?
In such case you got 13 years to claim for primary/secondary levels. Just make sure that whatever was your first year it was a 1st grade of primary education, not a kindergarten or pre-school.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:26 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Standard UK based education system is
1-3 years kindergarten/nursery (maybe, not everyone does any of these)
6 years primary
5 years secondary (this ends the compulsory education) with an optional additional 2 years for A-Levels
3 years University
Additional

If from Northern Ireland it's 7 years primary and up to 7 years secondary.

Compulsory education for all people is at least 11 years (6 primary and 5 secondary) but probably most people do 13 (6 primary and 7 secondary).
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it hard to believe?? You start school at 5 in Britain and finish at 16 or18. So I had 6 years in primary school, and then 7 in secondary. If you have a degree then you have A levels and so will have gone to secondary school for7 years. (unless you were very bright as some were at my school and so gained A levels or University place early)
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

I dont know how it is in different parts of the world.

I did 12years [primary + Secondary (excluding nursery & KG's)] of study to get admitted to a 3 year degree course. I finished my degree.

That gives me 12+3 = 15 years of education and a degree. I suppose i have 20 points for that.

If i do an additional 2 years of study i could get a Master's Degree, which may give me a total of 17 years of study and an additional 5 points. I think this is the standard full time education.

regs
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:23 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

No, you are not penalized - if you complete a 3-years full time program on the 1-year accelerated basis you will be credited with 3 years of education for that program. Providing of course that you document beyond any doubts what is the standard, full time duration of the program.

Ahhh, our consultant would have sorted that out for us then. Between that and the certs gained in the Army it was difficult for us to calculate out our points accurately and we didn't want to get it wrong as OH was 49.

Our consultant was certainly worth it as we had to squeeze every last point to pass
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Don't CIC know how long primary and secondary education is in different jurisdictions?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Don't CIC know how long primary and secondary education is in different jurisdictions?
Sorry that do anyone can answer my question?
How many years should be count by CIC with my 7 secondary school live?
Thank you!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Paul1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry that do anyone can answer my question?
How many years should be count by CIC with my 7 secondary school live?
Thank you!
You could always email CIC and ask them, best way to get a definitive answer to your question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.