Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Arriving without PR card after soft landing

Arriving without PR card after soft landing

Old Feb 23rd 2023, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

jordanleanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving without PR card after soft landing

Hi, I'm hoping someone can advise on our situation.
We landed in Canada last month and activated our COPR, my husband then flew back to England to finish things off and come back over with our dog once I had set up a home etc. here in Calgary. The immigration official asked for our address we would be staying at to deliver the PR cards to, stating that they needed an address we would be at for at least 3 months to account for processing and delivery time of the PR cards. The trouble was, we had only arranged a 2 month stay at an AirBNB while we searched for a permanent home. The officer instead gave us the Address Notification paperwork to complete within 180 days once we had that address secured. We asked about travel until then, and we were told to just fly with an ETA.
This is fine, but my husband then flew back to the UK, and now we are wondering what documents he will need to land again (due in April). An ETA is no longer valid without revoking PR status. A PRTD would take much to long to process and arrive before he flies back to Canada. The now signed/completed COPR says it is not valid for travel.
Has anyone else been in the same situation? Does anyone know what the best document package is?
Old Feb 24th 2023, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving without PR card after soft landing

Did your husband also do a soft landing i.e have his COPR form stamped and dated. If the answer is Yes then he would need to apply for a PRTD if no valid PR card. He could always fly into the US and return to Canada in a private vehicle and show COPR as proof of PR status.

If COPR form for him wasn't stamped and dated then he can use it along with an eTA to do his landing and fly to Canada. He can also produce 2 x copies of any goods to follow list.
Old Feb 24th 2023, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

jordanleanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, we both soft landed as it was a joint application, and he was lead. The immigration officer who stamped our COPRs said he would just need an ETA to return. They never mentioned PRTD at all.
He can’t fly in to the US and drive over, because he’s accompanying our dog on the same flight.
Old Feb 24th 2023, 5:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The immi officer was wrong I’m afraid. He needs a PRTD (or PR card) to board a plane back to Canada.

A PRTD doesn’t usually take long though, so hopefully that should be fine for April travel if he gets a wiggle on and applies asap.

Good luck.