Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Arriving with a Super visa- bringing goods and visitor record?

Arriving with a Super visa- bringing goods and visitor record?

Old Feb 16th 2023, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

fmarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving with a Super visa- bringing goods and visitor record?

After a year (!) of waiting, my mother finally got her Supervisa from the UK. She is here in Canada as a tourist at the moment and we are planning to go to the US and cross back on her super visa by land. She has things in storage in the UK that have been waiting to be shipped over (basically all of her goods- kitchen things, lots of clothes and pictures, some furniture. It's a lot of stuff but I couldn't talk her out of it. They're already packed up at the port and can't be changed). I am trying to figure out what we need to do when we arrive at the border- show a list of those goods to follow so at least they've 'signed off' on them? I am anticipating issues with paying duties when we go to the port later to collect the stuff so trying to smooth that over. Given that the visa is now 5 years per entry it seems reasonable to bring items with you? (Side note that we have a granny flat for her but it is not furnished, so she will be using these things to live day to day).

Also I am a bit confused about the visitor record- we ask for a 5 year visitor record at the border because she will need it a the port and to get a proper bank account etc? (She already had a SIN from living in Canada previously and is planning to file taxes). Any issues with this?

Has anyone arrived recently on this visa and has tips?
Old Feb 16th 2023, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving with a Super visa- bringing goods and visitor record?

I suggest she makes a list of goods being shipped and when you arrive at the POE tell the officer that you now want to activate the Super Visa and that you have goods being shipped. Hopefully the CBSA officer will send you inside the building to do paperwork etc.
The list does not need to be exhaustive i.e 3 x boxes clothing valued at X amount, 2 x boxes pots & pans valued at X amount etc etc.

Note while the Super Visa allows up to a 5 year stay but if the passport is not valid for 5 years then they will only issue a Visitor Record for the period that the passport is valid for. Make sure they issue a Visitor Record regardless.

Read this link for more info on what is required

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html
Old Mar 14th 2023, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

fmarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arriving with a Super visa- bringing goods and visitor record?

Hello- thanks for the advice before. We entered Canada on her Supervisa with a list of goods that she intended to ship (goods to follow, which included household items like kitchen things and some furniture), which was stamped by a CBSA officer. However now the shipping company in the UK is saying that they 'spoke to a senior CBSA officer' and cannot ship household goods on a supervisa (only on a work permit etc). Is this really true? Does anyone have experience importing goods on a supervisa?