Wikiposts

Arrival process?

Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:07 am
Just Joined

BCollins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrival process?

Hi everybody!

I am excited to immigrate on a PR visa in August. I am flying with two different airlines, Manchester to Toronto, then Toronto to Victoria.

I would like to know how long (roughly) it takes to get the immigration paperwork processed in the airport. I understand from the information papers it could take quite a while. I think because I hastily arranged my flights I may miss the Toronto to Victoria flight as I only have a couple of hours layover. I believe the paperwork states you get the immigration paperwork processed in the first arrival point in Canada. So for me I presume I would get mine done in Toronto.

Also on arranging a SIN card, does this get dealt with in the airport?

I wonder what other peoples experience of this has been.

Many Thanks!
Ben
Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:31 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrival process?

Originally Posted by BCollins
Hi everybody!

I am excited to immigrate on a PR visa in August. I am flying with two different airlines, Manchester to Toronto, then Toronto to Victoria.

I would like to know how long (roughly) it takes to get the immigration paperwork processed in the airport. I understand from the information papers it could take quite a while. I think because I hastily arranged my flights I may miss the Toronto to Victoria flight as I only have a couple of hours layover. I believe the paperwork states you get the immigration paperwork processed in the first arrival point in Canada. So for me I presume I would get mine done in Toronto.

Also on arranging a SIN card, does this get dealt with in the airport?

I wonder what other peoples experience of this has been.

Many Thanks!
Ben
Landing in Calgary last year it took 30 minutes to leave the aircraft, activate my visa, get through customs, and out of the airport.

Toronto could be different.

Also, yes you can arrange your SIN when activating your visa and you will have to do all of this in Toronto before you move on to Victoria.

One tip i would suggest is to choose a seat on the aircraft as close to the exit as possible.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:35 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its impossible to predict Im afraid. If you come in just after a jumbo from SE asia has arrived then it will take a while to process your Landing, but more often than not the wait times are pretty minimal.

Wouldnt worry about the SIN, you can do that at any time at your local "Service Canada" office.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

As others said, the process itself is very quick, but wait time depends on how many people are in front of you. Suggestion about being close to exit is good. The sooner you get to immigration the better.

If you are short on time don't bother with SIN at the airport, apply for it in Victoria and Service Canada.

Ray
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks everybody for the great info!

I will cross my fingers and try to nip out of the plane first.
Its funny how many little questions you have during this process. This forum has been really useful.

Thanks again
Ben
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody for the great info!

I will cross my fingers and try to nip out of the plane first.
Its funny how many little questions you have during this process. This forum has been really useful.

Thanks again
Ben
Hi I landed at Toronto on 7th June and from landing to meeting our friends in departures it took 1hour.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that!

I guess it will depend on the amount of people in front of me in the line on the day.

I can't wait to be in Canada again!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Toronto is hit or miss depending on what other planes have landed before you (and that's just to get through the initial customs line up). I've arrived in Toronto and it's taken 10 mins to get through customs, and I've landed and had it take over an hour just to get through customs. After that you still have to do your "landing" stuff with the proper people!

Unfortunately, there is no "good" answer to the question. What day of the week/time of day does your flight arrive? Also important....do you arrive in one Terminal and leave from the same Terminal?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:53 am
Just Joined

I am flying on Thursday the 5th of August.
I arrive at 18.25 on Transat and fly out at 20.30 on Westjet, both look to be out of terminal 3. To be honest if I don't get on the 8.30 flight I can always get on one the next day.

It looks like it will depend on the day and how busy it is.

Cheers,

Ben
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:03 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I am flying on Thursday the 5th of August.
I arrive at 18.25 on Transat and fly out at 20.30 on Westjet, both look to be out of terminal 3. To be honest if I don't get on the 8.30 flight I can always get on one the next day.

It looks like it will depend on the day and how busy it is.

Cheers,

Ben
If you're flying Air Transhite, try and pre book a great seat near the exit if at all possible.

Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Haha

Yeah I already know transat. I have flown with them before. It is too expensive for me right now to fly with most other airlines.
There was no free exit rows. I usually get them if I can as I am 6'8"!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
My husband took 5 mins in immigration in TO...but they said it was the quiet time, LAND BEFORE NOON...after lunch up to about 8pm is horrific they said and can take hours, but like others said there is no real way of telling you any amount of time, how long is a peice of string?