Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Arrggh! Lost birth certificate - interview on Monday!

Arrggh! Lost birth certificate - interview on Monday!

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

turbograndad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrggh! Lost birth certificate - interview on Monday!

Oh woe is me.
I've got my Conjugal Interview on Monday and I can't find my small birth certificate anywhere. Easily misplaced amongst all the documentation I had to get copied and sent away as part of my application.

Obviously it's too late to get a replacement in time.

The worst part is this: the "long" one which CHC are asking for doesn't exist! My dad says he was never given one. I never bothered checking before today as I assumed he would have kept them all safe (as he has for the rest of my family).

My interview will be hard enough without this thorn in my side.
Do they ask to see it in all cases, and will they let me forward the replacement on to them at a later date?

For now, time to make some urgent phone calls tomorrow and see if they can issue me with a replacement ASAP!

If anyone can offer any reassuring words then that would be nice.

Thanks

Andrew
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:20 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrggh! Lost birth certificate - interview on Monday!

No, they don't ask for long one in all cases - seems that they are not satisfied with short one and/or it raises some doubts and this is why they want to see the original of long one. You try your best to get it before interview.

Originally posted by turbograndad
Oh woe is me.
I've got my Conjugal Interview on Monday and I can't find my small birth certificate anywhere. Easily misplaced amongst all the documentation I had to get copied and sent away as part of my application.

Obviously it's too late to get a replacement in time.

The worst part is this: the "long" one which CHC are asking for doesn't exist! My dad says he was never given one. I never bothered checking before today as I assumed he would have kept them all safe (as he has for the rest of my family).

My interview will be hard enough without this thorn in my side.
Do they ask to see it in all cases, and will they let me forward the replacement on to them at a later date?

For now, time to make some urgent phone calls tomorrow and see if they can issue me with a replacement ASAP!

If anyone can offer any reassuring words then that would be nice.

Thanks

Andrew
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
No, they don't ask for long one in all cases - seems that they are not satisfied with short one and/or it raises some doubts and this is why they want to see the original of long one. You try your best to get it before interview.
Andrew,

Many thanks for the quick reply.
What is likely if I can't get a replacement in time? Is this an end-of-the-road type of thing, or can it be rectified, albeit introducing a delay into my case?

Thanks

Andrew
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Aluru is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi turbograndad,
Your location says Midlands, UK, so I am assuming that you are British and born in the UK. If I am wrong, discount this info, if I am right, you have 2 options, There is a public records office in Birmingham at the City Council (although the HQ in London is probably the best - Tel: 020 8876 3444)- http://www.pro.gov.uk/archives/- Go to the Family and Individuals Collections Dept. , with identification, your passport etc.., explain the situation and get a certified copy from the General Register Office - the downside is you might have to search by yourself if they have a heavy workload). In the alternative, take your passport (which will indicate place of birth etc), explain the loss and that you are making efforts to get a replacement which will be sent ASAP. This doesn't look like an an end-of-the-road" scenario to me although it might "introduce" a delay to your case.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 8:52 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Hope this will help you.
When I was getting all our visa application documentation up together I couldn't find my birth certificate. I rang up the registry office (down near Bristol) and explained the situation to them, they were really helpful and sent me out a replacement the following day!! I wasn't even an emergency case. So don't fret as I'm sure you'll be able to get one if you go to your nearest registry office and explain the seriousness of your situation and use your charm!
Good luck!
Col
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for your replies.

This morning I went to the registry office in the town nearest to the hospital where I was born - I got there 10 mins before opening

Despite this, the lady was very friendly, explained that all records are now held at the main town in my county (Stafford), and that I would have to go there. She called Stafford for me, took my credit card details and gave the lady at the other end the information.

Less than 40 mins later I was there, with certificate in hand!

One less thing to worry about!

Thanks guys

Andrew
Old Jun 27th 2004, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

kayjay is on a distinguished road

good luck for the interview mate, let us know how it went.