Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Arranged employment opinion confusion

Wikiposts

Arranged employment opinion confusion

Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

tsananez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arranged employment opinion confusion

I had a one-year working permit that expired in August 31st 2004. My employer wrote a letter to the consulate stating that they will hire me after MY PR is issued. I submitted my working permit (which was current at that time) and the letter from my employer stating that they would keep me after I get the PR, but my caips notes shows that I got 0 point for arranged employment...can someone tell why I did not receive 10 points?.

Right now I have a leave of absence subject to the day I get my PR. Given the fact that my employer gave me a leave of absence and that is willing to apply for the arranged employment opinion...will this make any difference in my PR evaluation?
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:36 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arranged employment opinion confusion

As it was stated dozens of times already here - job offer letter alone is a worthless piece of paper. Your employer should have obtained a positive Arranged Employment Opinion from HRSDC first and only job offer with such AEO in your case would warrant 10 points.

Learn about the process here:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/epb/lmd/fw/poArrEmp.shtml

Originally Posted by tsananez
I had a one-year working permit that expired in August 31st 2004. My employer wrote a letter to the consulate stating that they will hire me after MY PR is issued. I submitted my working permit (which was current at that time) and the letter from my employer stating that they would keep me after I get the PR, but my caips notes shows that I got 0 point for arranged employment...can someone tell why I did not receive 10 points?.

Right now I have a leave of absence subject to the day I get my PR. Given the fact that my employer gave me a leave of absence and that is willing to apply for the arranged employment opinion...will this make any difference in my PR evaluation?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
As it was stated dozens of times already here - job offer letter alone is a worthless piece of paper. Your employer should have obtained a positive Arranged Employment Opinion from HRSDC first and only job offer with such AEO in your case would warrant 10 points.

Well, It is a shame that I did not do this before. I always had the idea that I would need the Validation to get the 10 point for arranged employment. Hopefuly it is not too late for me to get. I will begin the process today...
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough

Hey tsananez

How did you get yur caips notes? when do you think it is good (what stage of your process) to get them?

thanks
MadHatters

Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MadHatters
Hey tsananez

How did you get yur caips notes? when do you think it is good (what stage of your process) to get them?

thanks
MadHatters
Hi Madhatters

I got the Caips notes 3 months after medicals...the only reason I got it was because I wanted to know the result of my medical tests. If I were you I would wait some months after IA (unless you are ask for interview). Getting it before does not seem to provide any relevant information
Old Sep 8th 2004, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller

Sorry Andrew but I need to ask two more questions:

1.- Given the fact that my company is giving me a leave of absence and that they are willing to update my indeterminate job offer, can I still apply for the Arranged Employment Opinion???

2.- When I submitted my application I said that I wanted to locate in Ottawa; however, the company is located in Toronto and the offer is for me to work in Toronto...do you see that this can make a problem with my application?

Thanks again
Old Sep 8th 2004, 6:53 am

1. It is the employer who must apply for Arranged Employment Opinion, not you.

2. nope

Sorry Andrew but I need to ask two more questions:

1.- Given the fact that my company is giving me a leave of absence and that they are willing to update my indeterminate job offer, can I still apply for the Arranged Employment Opinion???

2.- When I submitted my application I said that I wanted to locate in Ottawa; however, the company is located in Toronto and the offer is for me to work in Toronto...do you see that this can make a problem with my application?

Thanks again
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

If you did not get that 10 points from "arranged employment", you were not able to convince CIC about your current job being legit and permanent.

What to me is a bit worrying here is CIC later will ask sooner or later for your T4s and letter from your presaent company that your job is permanent and full time and you are able to sustain self sufficiency. I wonder when could you get final docs submitted.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Redwings
If you did not get that 10 points from "arranged employment", you were not able to convince CIC about your current job being legit and permanent.

What to me is a bit worrying here is CIC later will ask sooner or later for your T4s and letter from your presaent company that your job is permanent and full time and you are able to sustain self sufficiency. I wonder when could you get final docs submitted.
Redwings I am not sure if I understand your post but I will try to clarify.

When I got my one year working permit I submitted a copy of it to the consulate in Buffalo. A couple of months later I got the IA letter, in that letter the consulate asked for a letter from my then current employer, the T4s and payment stubs.

A couple of months later I got my Caips notes and Arranged Employment says 0 points. The truth is that that mark did not surprised me because I always had in mind that in order to get Arrange employment points I would need a validated job offer.

A couple of days later I read in this forum about the famous "arrange employment opinion" and I learn that I could have gotten that paper in advance but due to my ignorance I didn't get it.
I also learned that people working in canada can get arranged employment points even without an arranged employment opinion (at least this is what I understood from a different thread). Given the fact that I had send a copy of my working permit and the letter from my employer stating that they will keep me hired as long as I get the residency, I assumed that I should have been granted those 10 points. But based on Andrew response the company should have applied for the arranged employment opinion.

Anyways, since I cannot return to the past to fix what I/the Company didn't do. Today I came to the office, I talk to my boss and director and they are now preparing the arrange employment opinion application. We concluded that given the fact that they gave me a leave of absence and given the fact that they want me to come back to work with them when I get my PR, it makes sense to try to get the arrangement opinion.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, that`s clearer now.

I did not know that Arranged employment has to be applied for. What I know is your company has to write a letter to HRDC supporting your PR application and that HRDC letter will have to be submitted to Buffalo.

When I got my one year working permit I submitted a copy of it to the consulate in Buffalo. A couple of months later I got the IA letter, in that letter the consulate asked for a letter from my then current employer, the T4s and payment stubs.

A couple of months later I got my Caips notes and Arranged Employment says 0 points. The truth is that that mark did not surprised me because I always had in mind that in order to get Arrange employment points I would need a validated job offer.

A couple of days later I read in this forum about the famous "arrange employment opinion" and I learn that I could have gotten that paper in advance but due to my ignorance I didn't get it.
I also learned that people working in canada can get arranged employment points even without an arranged employment opinion (at least this is what I understood from a different thread). Given the fact that I had send a copy of my working permit and the letter from my employer stating that they will keep me hired as long as I get the residency, I assumed that I should have been granted those 10 points. But based on Andrew response the company should have applied for the arranged employment opinion.

Anyways, since I cannot return to the past to fix what I/the Company didn't do. Today I came to the office, I talk to my boss and director and they are now preparing the arrange employment opinion application. We concluded that given the fact that they gave me a leave of absence and given the fact that they want me to come back to work with them when I get my PR, it makes sense to try to get the arrangement opinion.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:13 am

You also are still somehow confused, so let me again explain to you when you can get points for arranged employment. The law says as follows:

---------------------------------------------
82. (1) In this section, "arranged employment" means an offer of indeterminate employment in Canada.

Arranged employment (10 points)

(2) Ten points shall be awarded to a skilled worker for arranged employment in Canada in an occupation that is listed in Skill Type 0 Management
Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix if they are able to perform and are likely to accept and carry out the employment and

(a) the skilled worker is in Canada and holds a work permit and

(i) there has been a determination by an officer under section 203 that the performance of the employment by the skilled worker would be likely to
result in a neutral or positive effect on the labour market in Canada,

(ii) the skilled worker is currently working in that employment,

(iii) the work permit is valid at the time an application is made by the skilled worker for a permanent resident visa as well as at the time the permanent
resident visa, if any, is issued to the skilled worker, and

(iv) the employer has made an offer to employ the skilled worker on an indeterminate basis once the permanent resident visa is issued to the skilled
worker;

(b) the skilled worker is in Canada and holds a work permit referred to in paragraph 204(a) or 205(a) or subparagraph 205(c)(ii) and the circumstances
referred to in subparagraphs (a)(ii) to (iv) apply;

(c) the skilled worker does not intend to work in Canada before being issued a permanent resident visa and does not hold a work permit and

(i) the employer has made an offer to employ the skilled worker on an indeterminate basis once the permanent resident visa is issued to the skilled
worker, and

(ii) an officer has approved that offer of employment based on an opinion provided to the officer by the Department of Human Resources Development
at the request of the employer or an officer that

(A) the offer of employment is genuine,

(B) the employment is not part-time or seasonal employment, and

(C) the wages offered to the skilled worker are consistent with the prevailing wage rate for the occupation and the working conditions meet generally accepted Canadian standards; or

(d) the skilled worker holds a work permit and

(i) the circumstances referred to in subparagraphs (a)(i) to (iv) and paragraph (b) do not apply, and

(ii) the circumstances referred to in subparagraphs (c)(i) and (ii) apply.

----------------------------------------

You didn't get 10 points because your work permit expired and you didn't meet 2(a)(ii) and 2(a)(iii) above.

In your circumstances your employer should have obtained AEO for indeterminate job offer to hire you after you become a PR.