arranged employment

Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:06 am
Just Joined

bitsy1603 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default arranged employment

Hi there,

I was wondering about this 'arranged employment' requirement.

What if, for the sake of argument, a Canadian friend/relative pulled some strings and got myself or my spouse a job offer.

Would the employer need to prove that there are no Canadians able to do that job?
If so, how would they evidence that?
Would it need to be in a field we are qualified for, or could it be working in Taco Bell etc.

This really is just a 'what if' scenario but is it one that's worth persuing?

Bitsy
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Default Re: arranged employment

Also, why is it that some people on the forums seem to be in Canada, with PR, but with no employment - how is that possible?

Any advice appreciated.
Bitsy
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bitsy1603
Hi there,

I was wondering about this 'arranged employment' requirement.

What if, for the sake of argument, a Canadian friend/relative pulled some strings and got myself or my spouse a job offer.

Would the employer need to prove that there are no Canadians able to do that job?
If so, how would they evidence that?
Would it need to be in a field we are qualified for, or could it be working in Taco Bell etc.

This really is just a 'what if' scenario but is it one that's worth persuing?

Bitsy
There are 2 kinds of arranged employment:

- applicant is already working in Canada on valid work permit, employer expressed in writing intention to convert temporary employment to permanent one after applicant becomes a PR and work permit is still valid at the time visa is issued

- applicant doesn't have intention to work in Canada before becoming a PR, employer provided a job offer to hire applicant permanently after she or he becomes PR and employer obtained positive Arranged Employment Opinion from HRSDC

Job must be in skilled occupation (skills level 0, A and B only in NOC matrix) and applicant must have qualifications to perform the job. Thus "Taco Bell job" won't work, unless it is a management position.

Employer must be in business for at least 12 months and have for the same period other full time employees already - nobody can just pull the job offer out of the hat....
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bitsy1603
Also, why is it that some people on the forums seem to be in Canada, with PR, but with no employment - how is that possible?

Any advice appreciated.
Bitsy
Because arranged employment is required only in 1 category (out of 3) in Skilled Workers class. Then you have several other than SW classes that don't require jobs as well. I suggest you start reading CIC website first, just to familiarize yourself with various options and programs.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the response.
I have been browsing the CIC website already and have found it useful. This forum is a good way of proposing 'what if's and getting informed responses. Very helpful people on here.

So, if my spouse and I went to Canada on a BUNAC (temp working) visa, and began temp work within a relative's firm, could they then (say after 6 months)offer to extend the job to be permanent? Would this be an acceptable route to PR?
Would the work still need to be Skill type A, B or O?

I'm a trained teacher but with the shortage of jobs in Canada and problems with equivilency, am having to explore other routes. My fiance has family in Canada but, depite close relationships, they are not classed as 'close' relatives.

Thanks for all the help
Bitsy