Apprenticeship

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Camy2269 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apprenticeship

Hello everyone,

I've been looking into starting an apprenticeship in Scotland and have found it's slim pickings for an electrician or a plumber (the two trades I'd be interested in doing). I decided I'd have a look into apprenticeships abroad and found out about the whole skilled worker shortage in Canada. I've had a look into some different province's websites but couldn't find all the information I was after.

Would anyone be able tell me if its possible to get an apprenticeship in Canada from the UK with the end result in immigrating permanently?

I don't have any formal qualifications apart from a couple of Scottish highers (A levels) and my Standard Grades (GCSE's). Would these be recognized?

How would the process start? Would I need to try and sort out the immigration side of it or find an employer first?

I hope someone can help, cheers folks

Camy
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apprenticeship

Originally Posted by Camy2269
Hello everyone,

I've been looking into starting an apprenticeship in Scotland and have found it's slim pickings for an electrician or a plumber (the two trades I'd be interested in doing). I decided I'd have a look into apprenticeships abroad and found out about the whole skilled worker shortage in Canada. I've had a look into some different province's websites but couldn't find all the information I was after.

Would anyone be able tell me if its possible to get an apprenticeship in Canada from the UK with the end result in immigrating permanently?

I don't have any formal qualifications apart from a couple of Scottish highers (A levels) and my Standard Grades (GCSE's). Would these be recognized?

How would the process start? Would I need to try and sort out the immigration side of it or find an employer first?

I hope someone can help, cheers folks

Camy
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, it's not possible for you to obtain entry to Canada as a skilled worker without first having the requisite training and experience. If you were to apply via the Skilled Worker route (which you potentially could as a plumber or electrician as they are on the list of 38 'occupations in demand') you'd need at least one years full time work experience first.

The other option would be to go via a Temporary Work Permit but in order to be able to work in Canada as an electrician or plumber you need to first obtain something called the Red Seal (basically an exam proving equivalency of exams) - but to get it you need to prove a certain number of hours in the trade which has to exclude apprenticeships i.e. for an electrician you need 9000 hours or more of experience.

So although skilled trades are very in demand in Canada and are usually a way of gaining relatively quick and easy entry, you need to be experienced I'm afraid.

What other experience do you have or what other jobs have you done? And how old are you (sorry for personal question but it could be relevant for another visa route!).

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Camy2269 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply

Sounds like it might have to be the end of that idea...

I don't have any experience in a trade - I worked for the tax office for 2 years and spent 6 months in the merchant navy. I'm 20.

Would it maybe be possible to go over under a students visa or something like that? I would be studying for the qualification while I was working.

Camy
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Camy2269
Thanks for the reply

Sounds like it might have to be the end of that idea...

I don't have any experience in a trade - I worked for the tax office for 2 years and spent 6 months in the merchant navy. I'm 20.

Would it maybe be possible to go over under a students visa or something like that? I would be studying for the qualification while I was working.

Camy
Ah ha!! Perfect - I was hoping you'd be a young 'un..........

If you are under 30 then you can apply for a working holiday visa via Bunac. Just Google Bunac and you can read all about it on their website but basically it gives you a years open work permit so you can do any job in Canada (which I assume includes apprenticeships if you want to go that route). You can then try and get an employer to offer you permanent employment if you decide you want to stay longer than the year.

The only thing to be aware of is that there are a limited number of visas and applications opened in December so you'll need to get your skates on if you do want to apply - but you'd have until next February (I think?) to enter on the visa so don't have to go straight away even if you apply now.

Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:52 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

i have no idea if this is any good for you but have a look at this link.......my son is going to be doing it, on a mechanics course but he will be in canada already and will be going during and after his schooling......it might help you.....good luck....

http://www.bcit.ca/