Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

applying for work permit,from within canada,as a visitor

applying for work permit,from within canada,as a visitor

Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:52 am
Just Joined

kris_66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default applying for work permit,from within canada,as a visitor

I have recently come to canada ( Regina SK ) as a visitor ( british citizen ) to see my girlfriend.I have been here 2 weeks and unbelievably got a job offer already and the employer is really keen on hiring me.The bad news is i obviously have no work permit so i cant start with the position till i have one.The rest of the bad news is they were willing to go through the work permit process with me until they were told it could take more than 3 months and i have to leave and re enter canada during this time.I have been hearing different stories from everywhere and everyone and honestly dont know who to believe anymore.Some people ( and websites ) tell me i have to leave to apply and all the rest,while the others say that being in canada already and having the job offer will speed up the process and i wont have to leave canada to do it either.I also dont have money coming out my ears to afford to leave and re enter or go for interviews on the other side of the country at immigration.What on earth are my options and does anyone know for sure?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of
Default Re: applying for work permit,from within canada,as a visitor

Hi Kris......firstly, congratulations on getting the job offer.

Ok, not sure if you read my last post on your previous thread about getting work ect, but a few months ago I was in a similar position to you, so here's my advice to you.

Once you have your positive LMO (if your job requires one) and a letter to confirm your job offer, do a trip around the flag pole (search for it on here. There have been plenty of posts about it.) I did it, and it couldn't have been any easier! It's not something I would recommend for everyone, but as you are out here on your own (i.e, no family came over with you) I don't think you should have too many problems. This is assuming you don't need a medical for your job? What will you been doing??

A trip around the flagpole means that as soon as you have an LMO and you get down to the Canada/US border, you can get your TWP issued straight away! No having to wait months for your work permit to be processed!

Feel free to ask any more questions x
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kris_66
I have recently come to canada ( Regina SK ) as a visitor ( british citizen ) to see my girlfriend.I have been here 2 weeks and unbelievably got a job offer already and the employer is really keen on hiring me.The bad news is i obviously have no work permit so i cant start with the position till i have one.The rest of the bad news is they were willing to go through the work permit process with me until they were told it could take more than 3 months and i have to leave and re enter canada during this time.I have been hearing different stories from everywhere and everyone and honestly dont know who to believe anymore.Some people ( and websites ) tell me i have to leave to apply and all the rest,while the others say that being in canada already and having the job offer will speed up the process and i wont have to leave canada to do it either.I also dont have money coming out my ears to afford to leave and re enter or go for interviews on the other side of the country at immigration.What on earth are my options and does anyone know for sure?
If you want a work permit you will need to have your potential employer complete the appropriate application and, once that is successfully processed, you will need to apply for a work permit at an international border (I would suggest you take a driving trip to the USA, spend a day shopping there and apply for your work permit upon re-entry into Canada.

You appear to be confusing a work permit with temporary residence. I would suggest that you have virtually no chance of having your PR processed within the time you are likely to have left to legally remain in Canada, so I would suggest you obtain your work permit first and then apply for PR.

Best of luck
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:54 am
Just Joined

kris_66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steph Golder
Hi Kris......firstly, congratulations on getting the job offer.

Ok, not sure if you read my last post on your previous thread about getting work ect, but a few months ago I was in a similar position to you, so here's my advice to you.

Once you have your positive LMO (if your job requires one) and a letter to confirm your job offer, do a trip around the flag pole (search for it on here. There have been plenty of posts about it.) I did it, and it couldn't have been any easier! It's not something I would recommend for everyone, but as you are out here on your own (i.e, no family came over with you) I don't think you should have too many problems. This is assuming you don't need a medical for your job? What will you been doing??

A trip around the flagpole means that as soon as you have an LMO and you get down to the Canada/US border, you can get your TWP issued straight away! No having to wait months for your work permit to be processed!

Feel free to ask any more questions x
Hi there,thanx for ur response.I do know that that i dont need a medical so that's one good point at least.I've also heard ur idea before only i basically spent all i had just to get here to see my gf in the first place so financially its a problem to get to the border and all.I've also been told i can get it processed at the airport once i have the LMO and all,not sure how true that is.Im just under pressure to know for sure how long my process will take as the company hasnt got too long to fill the position and could possibly give my job away.Also i cant expect them to hang around so its tough.I was told told i can submit my forms to buffalo aswell from here,and there processing times are 1-28 days,without leaving at all.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:24 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kris_66
Hi there,thanx for ur response.I do know that that i dont need a medical so that's one good point at least.I've also heard ur idea before only i basically spent all i had just to get here to see my gf in the first place so financially its a problem to get to the border and all.I've also been told i can get it processed at the airport once i have the LMO and all,not sure how true that is.Im just under pressure to know for sure how long my process will take as the company hasnt got too long to fill the position and could possibly give my job away.Also i cant expect them to hang around so its tough.I was told told i can submit my forms to buffalo aswell from here,and there processing times are 1-28 days,without leaving at all.
If you get a work permit, you still have to leave the country and re-enter to activate it. You cannot go to an airport.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

No unfortunately you cannot get your TWP issued at the airport. I think you can only get your PR activated at the airport if you're all ready in Canada.

As soon as you have a positive LMO, and a copy of your job offer, you can go straight to the border. Or you can submit your paper work. I know of people that have been waiting 3 months for theirs so far.

So the choice is yours. Send off your paper work to , or do a trip around the flag pole??
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:23 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Steph Golder
No unfortunately you cannot get your TWP issued at the airport. I think you can only get your PR activated at the airport if you're all ready in Canada.

As soon as you have a positive LMO, and a copy of your job offer, you can go straight to the border. Or you can submit your paper work. I know of people that have been waiting 3 months for theirs so far.

So the choice is yours. Send off your paper work to , or do a trip around the flag pole??

Even if the OP applies to Buffalo/London s/he is still going to have to "flagpole" to validate the wp.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Not if its a TWP?? I'm sure some people I work with just sent off their paperwork, and their passports arrived back with the TWP attached.......they all wondered why I went to the border rather than sending off my paperwork.

Oooh, very confusing this immigration lark!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Even if the OP applies to Buffalo/London s/he is still going to have to "flagpole" to validate the wp.
If this is the case, then I wouldn't even bother sending off your application. Just flagpole.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:57 am
Just Joined

lousonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kris

If you have a job offer and the employer is prepared to go through the LMO process with you then you should be able to drive to the border round the flag pole and you will be issued with a temporary work permit. It will be job specific and i think they normally issue them for 2 years at a time. Unfortunately you cant go shopping in the USA as you have to be there for over 48 hours before you can bring goods back unless your a tourist, but if your issued with a work permit on re entry you will have to surrender any purchased goods. Once you have your TWP you can then apply for PR.

My partner and i are waiting for TWP and sent our papers off nearly 10 months ago. We are in the country at the moment but looks like we will have to return to the uk in another 2 months if we have still heard nothing. My advice to anyone would be NOT to do things the way we have. Immigration work in wired ways and its anyone’s guess how long it may take if you send off your papers.

Hope you get it sorted. Good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousonny
Unfortunately you cant go shopping in the USA as you have to be there for over 48 hours before you can bring goods back unless your a tourist, but if your issued with a work permit on re entry you will have to surrender any purchased goods. Once you have your TWP you can then apply for PR.
Of course you don't have to be gone 48 hours to bring goods into the country, nor will you have to surrender any goods (unless they are contraband of course). There are limits as to what can be brought into the country without having to pay taxes or duties. If you go on a day trip then taxes & duties could well be due on what you bring back. Declare any goods and customs will happily taker your money. Even a visitor who is in Canada and goes across to the US on a shopping day trip has to comply by the same rules, paying taxes & duties on any good brought into Canada.

The visitor GST rebate program is no longer in force.

With regard to activating a work permit at the airport. You can only do this if you come in on an international flight. You would need to fly out to the US and then fly back into Canada. Not an inexpensive option, but one useful to those living long distances from the border. Landing from an international flight is the only point at which you will pass through customs & immigration at the airport. For people already in Canada there is no choice but leave the country and re-enter, usually at a US/Canada road crossing.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

darren68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Just out of interest here, but if you have entered the country as a visitor to see your girlfriend, were you not asked if you had any intention of staying and intended to return home by customs.

Would this not be then classed as dual intent ??

I only ask as I was pulled at Christmas in Edmonton and given a grilling in the side room, when visiting for the same reason, and they were very insistant that i was going back home, Still had a job there and so on.

Even to the point that the stamp in my passport was different and had a date hand written by the CBSA agent for one week after my return flight.

Not trying to pry here, just wondering for myself should the need arise.

Good luck

Darren

Last edited by darren68; Feb 4th 2009 at 9:43 pm.