Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for work permit at POE at vancouver

Applying for work permit at POE at vancouver

Old Jan 25th 2017, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Rizgaba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for work permit at POE at vancouver

Hi lovely people
This is my first post here. I need some help to calm my nerves!
I am flying to vancouver tomz from Gatwick with my 5 year old.
I am a lil nervous thinking about the process of applying and is it tricky and time consuming to apply for TWP at vancouver airport.
I know my son would be soooo cranky due to time difference and long flight.
I have a job offer a d positive LMIO letter too with me, what questions does BSO asks while applying for work permit, i didn't get time to apply online😥😥
Would really appreciate if you could help me out with my anxiety! Thank u in advance
Riz
Old Jan 25th 2017, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for work permit at POE at vancouver

Hi,
3 weeks ago today we arrived in Calgary in a similar situation.
My husband had a job offer and LMIA. (I just got an open work permit on him)

We hadn't done anything online apart from apply for an eTA.

We turned up at Calgary airport with the following:

- passport valid for longer than the job.
- Proof of job offer outlining how long the contract is for and salary on headed paper and signed by all concerned.
- Proof of LMIA (receipt and paperwork relating to that)
- An up to date resume
- proof of husband's qualifications (job is research based so we needed his PhD certificate)

And that was it for him. All I needed on top of that to get an open work permit was a marriage certificate.

But yeah- we turned up with those things- went though the various stages of passport control where at each one we said we wanted to apply for a work permit on entry.
We were filtered through at the end to customs and immigration. The immigration officer was great. Looked through all our paperwork and wrote up the permits- there wasn't really any questions to be honest. Just normal conversation. He could clearly tell we were exhausted and did it as swiftly as possible.

How long it takes is a piece of string. It simply depends how many people are coming through at the same time and how many staff are on. In total we had to wait almost 3 hours. After an almost 10 hour direct flight I was tired and fed up by the end. I suggest you bring entertainment for your child! Haha

Good luck with it!!
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for work permit at POE at vancouver

Originally Posted by Rizgaba
Hi lovely people
This is my first post here. I need some help to calm my nerves!
I am flying to vancouver tomz from Gatwick with my 5 year old.
I am a lil nervous thinking about the process of applying and is it tricky and time consuming to apply for TWP at vancouver airport.
I know my son would be soooo cranky due to time difference and long flight.
I have a job offer a d positive LMIO letter too with me, what questions does BSO asks while applying for work permit, i didn't get time to apply online� ����� ����
Would really appreciate if you could help me out with my anxiety! Thank u in advance
Riz
Hi, welcome to BE.

I assume you're a UK citizen? If so, then you'll be fine as long as you've got all the paperwork required. You've mentioned your son, but not a husband/partner, so if you're travelling alone with your son don't forget you'll need permission from his father to remove him from UK jurisdiction, as well as all the other documents.

This Wiki article will be useful reading - TWP : Where to apply-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH, good luck.