Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

applying for a work permit due to uncumbered funds advice grateful

applying for a work permit due to uncumbered funds advice grateful

Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:35 am
Just Joined

steven83 is on a distinguished road
Question applying for a work permit due to uncumbered funds advice grateful

Hi guys i posted a few threads last week re PR in canada! i have since found out that my uncumbered funds have to be readily available on initial application as a young lad unable to buy porperty in this hell whole of a country (UK) i have no equity to use whilst i save during the 30-38 month application process. So i am now thinkning i will save enought to be self sufficient for a my first 4-8 weeks and then move out on a working visa.
I am wondering if anyone is aware of the criteria, costs, length of visa's etc as i find the cic site a little confusing. Thanks Guys
Happy 09!!!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for a work permit due to uncumbered funds advice grateful

Originally Posted by steven83
Hi guys i posted a few threads last week re PR in canada! i have since found out that my uncumbered funds have to be readily available on initial application as a young lad unable to buy porperty in this hell whole of a country (UK) i have no equity to use whilst i save during the 30-38 month application process. So i am now thinkning i will save enought to be self sufficient for a my first 4-8 weeks and then move out on a working visa.
I am wondering if anyone is aware of the criteria, costs, length of visa's etc as i find the cic site a little confusing. Thanks Guys
Happy 09!!!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL
Hi. First thing to mention is that there is no longer a wait of 30-38 months for PR Skilled Worker visa, the wait time is now anticipated to be 6-12 months since they've introduced the changes. Just in case that makes any difference to your decision.

The second thing I would say is that are you sure you have the funds to immigrate in the first place if you thought you didn't have £5000 as proof of funds?? Emigration is an expensive business, no matter how you do it.

Even if you go via a TWP so don't have to prove funds, you'll still need airfares, cost for visa, paying for excess baggage or shipping for the stuff you want to take with you, settlement costs (i.e. first and last months rent for apartment/house, buying a car & insurance, deposits for things, etc, etc). All that will add up and probably be more than the proof of funds anyway (which is why they ask you have it, so that you can prove you've got enough to start off!).

But if you do want to go via a Temporary Work Permit, then you first need to find a job, then the employer has to prove to HRSDC that they've advertised the job across Canada for 3 months and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Once that has been done you apply for your TWP, the actual visa process takes around 2-3 months, but you'll need to add job hunting time onto that so for most it's 6 months or more. But once you're in Canada on a TWP you can then upgrade it to PR.

The other option for you as you say you're young (lucky thing!) is a Bunac visa which is for people aged 30 and under. It would give you a years open work permit for Canada so you could do any job there. The only thing to be aware of is that applications opened in December and there are a limited number of visas which go quite quickly so you'll need to get your skates on if you want to apply for one.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 5th 2009 at 7:02 am.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:26 am
Just Joined

HI Christmasoompa...... thanks hugely for your response. Yeah when i was researching over the past year the cic state that the average time frame is 30-38 months during which time we would be in a position to of saved the uncumbered funds as well as extra... my problem is that proof of funds from what i understand needs to eveident from the onset, which having on equity is obv not possible. So i was looking into other avenues that would get us to Canada within the same time frame but not have the initial outlay at the onset, such as moving to canada on a temporary visa and then applying for a workers permit once we arrived. I may have this all wrong and if i do please excuse my ignorance i just find this all a bit of a mine field or terms and abreivations lol.
I am unawae of the BUNAC option that you mention? how would i go about finding out more information about this?
Once again man thanks for your time and advice!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steven83
So i was looking into other avenues that would get us to Canada within the same time frame but not have the initial outlay at the onset, such as moving to canada on a temporary visa and then applying for a workers permit once we arrived. I may have this all wrong and if i do please excuse my ignorance i just find this all a bit of a mine field or terms and abreivations lol.
I am unawae of the BUNAC option that you mention? how would i go about finding out more information about this?
Once again man thanks for your time and advice!
I can understand why you don't want to apply for PR if you don't have any savings at all to use as proof of funds, could you save the £5k or so required before applying though? If you are eligible, it's a much safer option than going via a TWP (which gives you no permanent right to be in Canada, as the title suggests it is only temporary) and as I said, I don't see it costing you any less than £5k to move over there and get set up anyway even on a TWP.

Don't worry about getting confused, we all do to start with! But you'll soon be up to speed. To understand the whole immigration process more then have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will explain it all to you.

But in the meantime I'll clarify your understanding of applying for a 'workers permit' - there is no such thing. The Temporary Work Permit that I mentioned is I assume what you are referring to, but as I said in my last post you need to (i) get a job offer first; (ii) get the employer to prove they've advertised for 3 months and not got a Canadian to do the job; and (iii) then you apply for the TWP. So you cannot just go over and 'apply for a workers permit', it's not that simple I'm afraid.

For Bunac info, just Google it! The Bunac website will tell you all about it, but I don't know the website address off the top of my head I'm afraid.

Once you've figured it out a bit more then come back and ask questions about your intended visa route and we'll happily help.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:34 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Here is a link to the wiki, which gives some more info re bunac, this could be a good option for you

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Working_Holiday_Visas

Good luck

edited to add - sorry x a bit with prev post!

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Jan 5th 2009 at 7:36 am. Reason: x with christmasoompa post!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:13 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

could I clarify, so, if you go over on a TWP you dont need to prove proof of funds, but if you wait for your PR you have to prove your proof of funds is that correct?

The reason why I ask this is because yes emigration is an exspensive thing and with medicals, police checks, solicitors fees, plus flights, paying for study permits for kids, we fear alot of our savings will be eaten into, therefore, would it be better for us to come over on a TWP whilst waiting for PR to come through?

As I fear that once we finally do get our PR our savings will be virtually nothing and although hubby has a job to go to over their we are now worried that our PR would be refused based on lack of funds?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:33 am
Just Joined

yes if you apply from what i understand your uncumbered funds have to be evedent from the initial application, not including your normal fees to include police checks medicals fees etc etc, however if you go over on a twp then then the process of appling for pr can be made more complex as you are not in the company that you are native to ? however as ive stated im new to this and could be incorrect. best of luck and keep me posted x
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:51 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

Yes but on a TWP and already working inthe country surely the fact that you are working in Canada and contributing via tax, you do not have to have proof of funds? does any one know?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
Yes but on a TWP and already working inthe country surely the fact that you are working in Canada and contributing via tax, you do not have to have proof of funds? does any one know?
If you are applying for a TWP or already have a TWP then proof of funds is not required.

The CIC page on proof of funds very clearly says "You do not have to show that you have these funds if you have arranged employment in Canada".
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

My understanding is that you have to have proof of funds which is a valuation and also a mortgage statement in my situation. However, if I need to show this I wwill simply go and take money from the equity (as extra borrowing ) and put it into my account - which may be the case with regards to landing.

Also I would like to warn people regarding my thoughts on TWP. With the economic downturn still with us, it would be a much safer bet to have a PR rather than a TWP as you are putting yourself at risk if jobs still go. Maybe a different job situation out in Canada-- but something to think about like a previos post warned in Alberta.

JET