Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for visa after IEC working Holliday expires

Applying for visa after IEC working Holliday expires

Old Mar 26th 2019, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

GemmaBooth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for visa after IEC working Holliday expires

Hi
I have been living in Fredericton NB for 18 months and my working holiday visa through the IEC expires in August.

I can not extend this current visa through IEC so I am looking at other ways to be able to stay in canada.

With my working holiday visa I have an open work permit. This has allowed me to work. My current employers are wanting to extend my job and I have a written job offer.

I am wanting to apply for an employer specific work permit and a religious worker visa that is LMIA exempt.

what I want to know, is, when applying for the employer specific work permit should I select new application for permit or extend/change permit.

Does the fact that I already have an open work permit mean this second application isn’t an initial application for a work permit, or because it will be a different permit does that mean it is therefore an initial application?

I think (if I’ve understood correctly!) if my current permit counts, and because I’m applying from within canada I don’t therefor need to submit biometrics.
If however, the second application for the employer specific work permit is counted as an initial application, I would be required to submit biometrics (which I can not do in Canada or the US)

Any help or advice would be great fully received, as I don’t want to slow down the process by not applying with correct information!

Thankyou,
Gemma
Old Mar 26th 2019, 7:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for visa after IEC working Holliday expires

Hi, welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by GemmaBooth
what I want to know, is, when applying for the employer specific work permit should I select new application for permit or extend/change permit.
It's a new application. Has your employer gone through the employer compliance process & paid the fee though? You can't submit your application until you've got that side of things sorted.

I think (if I’ve understood correctly!) if my current permit counts, and because I’m applying from within canada I don’t therefor need to submit biometrics.
If however, the second application for the employer specific work permit is counted as an initial application, I would be required to submit biometrics (which I can not do in Canada or the US)
You may do, CIC will confirm. If so, unfortunately you do have to leave and do them elsewhere from what I understand.

One other thought - if you want to stay permanently, have you looked in to applying for PR instead of a work permit?

Old Mar 26th 2019, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

GemmaBooth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou!

I dont think I can apply for PR yet as I thought the two years of EIC didn’t count towards the time needed in Canada before applying for PR?
Old Mar 26th 2019, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou!

I dont think I can apply for PR yet as I thought the two years of EIC didn’t count towards the time needed in Canada before applying for PR?
You don't need any time in Canada to apply for PR if eligible - plenty of people apply from around the world who've never even visited Canada! It just might be worth looking in to if you think you may want to stay for good.