Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

applying for visa 2 years in advance?

applying for visa 2 years in advance?

Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

cornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nice
Default applying for visa 2 years in advance?

my partner and i won't be able to move to canada until late 2014/early 2015, so i was just wondering if there's any point already applying for a visa/PR (obviously we'll have to wait and see what the CIC changes bring early next year as i guess this would only work for the FSW scheme)? if my partner's profession is on the new fsw list, could we then apply already, wait for PR to come through, then combine a holiday to canada with our 'landing trip'? it would just be a shame to see his occupation on the list, not be able to apply and then see it disappear from the list again.

also, when it comes to qualifications, say you've got about half a year left until completing your PHD could you already send off an application and say you're about to finish your PHD, or can you only apply with the qualifications you definitely already have?

hope my questions make sense, got so many thoughts inside of me at the moment that sometimes it's quite tricky to find the right words thanks everyone!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for visa 2 years in advance?

Originally Posted by cornwall9
my partner and i won't be able to move to canada until late 2014/early 2015, so i was just wondering if there's any point already applying for a visa/PR (obviously we'll have to wait and see what the CIC changes bring early next year as i guess this would only work for the FSW scheme)? if my partner's profession is on the new fsw list, could we then apply already, wait for PR to come through, then combine a holiday to canada with our 'landing trip'? it would just be a shame to see his occupation on the list, not be able to apply and then see it disappear from the list again.
Yes, definitely apply now if eligible. Once you've got your visas, you've got approx 4 years before you have to move so plenty of time (have to land within a year of medicals, then spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada to maintain PR, giving almost 4 years if you really needed it).

also, when it comes to qualifications, say you've got about half a year left until completing your PHD could you already send off an application and say you're about to finish your PHD, or can you only apply with the qualifications you definitely already have?
You can apply anytime, but won't get points for any education not completed. So the PhD wouldn't count until it's finished.

HTH.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

cornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nice

okay thank you, that's good news. i don't think we'd need the PHD points wise anyways so that shouldn't be a problem. fingers crossed geologists are back on the new list
Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Or that there won't be a list at all, which seems to be likely at the moment.

Although who the hell knows with CIC!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

where do you get the no list at all idea from if i may ask?
i just came across CIC's official statement with regards to the proposed changes and points wise we should be fine again (even though im bummed they're proposing to take away the points for the accompanying spouse's education).
fingers crossed we'll be able to apply as soon as they release the new PR options.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

where do you get the no list at all idea from if i may ask?
Jason Kenney's recent tweet which said 'We do not intend to limit applications to particular professions, but applicants will have to fall w/in NOCs O, A & B'.

Old Oct 21st 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

oh that'd be ideal! thank you so much for your help, you quite literally have had an answer to all of my questions, haha. really appreciate it!
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:00 am
Just Joined

nads2184 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Sorry to intrude on this thread... just a continiuation from the OP. Im a nurse just graduated and was going to wait at least for a year to apply to be a nurse in canada. I wanted to save before I made any attempt to do this, but in my circumstance would it make sense for me to also apply now, as I'm not really looking to go for about 2 years or so?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:06 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You will need working experience as a nurse.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:13 am
Just Joined

nads2184 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You will need working experience as a nurse.
Im 5 months into my job, so I was thinking about after a years exp?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by nads2184
Im 5 months into my job, so I was thinking about after a years exp?
You'd need a minimum of a year full-time to qualify, but you could apply after that.

You mention saving cash up, so don't forget you'd need to show proof of funds when you apply, so you'll need that on top of your application fees.

Good luck, hope you still qualify after the rule changes in Jan.

Edit: I've just noticed on a previous thread that you wouldn't qualify as FSW as you didn't have enough points, so you might want to do a tot up of your points under the proposed new points system, hopefully it will be in your favour - http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2.../reg2-eng.html That way you'll know if you'll be eligible once you've done your full year's work.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 25th 2012 at 5:07 am.