Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

applying for TWP on landing quick question

applying for TWP on landing quick question

Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:58 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for TWP on landing quick question

Originally Posted by sioux
I read somewhere that if you are on a TWP, you must prove that you will be returning at the end of the period. It's like when travelling on a visa waiver, they hardly ask to see your return ticket, but they specifically say that those are the conditions of the visa waiver programme.
How can you book a return ticket potentially 3 years ahead of time?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
You are crazy if you move over without getting your passport renewed. It costs loads more to renew from Canada and you will then have the bother of getting your WP renewed too. If you renew early they will allow you the extra time on your new passport so you don't lose out in the long term.
I have done everything the wrong way with this whole process. My passport expires in a years time, I agreed to start work a week after landing and we are leaving the UK with less money than we would have say in 6 months time. We are just so desperate to leave NOW, that we would rather spend another $300 on work permits and have all that hassle of renewing permits. We just cant wait to start our new lives. Anyway it's too late for us to renew passports (OH's passport also expires in October2009), tickets booked for the 25th
I think we will be advising people to renew passports etc and will have first hand experience of consequences of not doing so., but hey, this time next month, I will be starting work on Monday
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember that you can get same day processing by arrangement at the passport offices in the UK. It may cost a bit extra but things will be far simpler later.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

gillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
We bought one way tickets - no questions asked by the airline nor at either airport. Landed, asked to speak with an Immigration officer and handed over our paperwork regarding job and requesting twp (and the money of course). No-one asked about returning or proof of anything to do with the UK and we were issued a 12 month visa. Our intention all along was (and still is) to stay here.
Hi

Since Zoom airlines have gone bust I did not think you could buy one way tickets cheaper than return. We are emigrating to Canada this month and booked with Zoom. We found the cheapest replacement flight was a return booked through E-bookers. (hope they don't go bust too!) and we will not be using the return flight.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

remember when you land and you get to immigration. tell them you "NEED" a TWP. dont say you need to "apply" or anything like that.

our immigration consultant advised us this and he was spot on. the first thing they say to you is, "what is the intention of your stay in canada"

all you say is "i am here bacause i have a job offer and i need a TWP"

then let them ask the questions. keep it simple and hand over the paperwork when asked.

maybe you already know this, but thought i would send it your way anyway!!

Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future

that's good to know. What other questions could they possibly ask?
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

they did not really ask anything else. they will ask your job title and thats about it. the guy we got was really nice. after we answered those initial q's he was just talking to us about everyday stuff.

we were really worried about getting our twp this way before we got there, especially since we had our baby daughter with us too, but it was very straightforward and nothing at all to worry about!!

at the end of the day, they get lots of people turning up there trying to talk nonsense to try and get a TWP (and we saw it happening while we were in the queue!!), but they recognise the real deal people who are genuine.

must be a stressful job working there!!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

We entered on a one way ticket with a "need" for a 1 yr work permit.
No questions were asked at all and that was Montreal. Good job - i was half asleep!

I had to renew my kid's passport within that year and was told by our immigration lawyer that his (child) visitors permit did not need altering and that they would just inform immigration of the new passport number (if asked). SHe also said that my husband's work permit would not need renewing just because the passport is renewed.

We now have PR anyway yeah!
When we landed immigration removed our permits at the POE - with my friend they didn't - they just left them in their passports - no continuity over here!!
HTH
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Could anyone who has applied for a TWP on landing please tell me exactly what documentation you presented to the Immigration officer to get your TWP.

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...ker/e_work.htm

If you apply to CHC London using the above link they ask for all sorts of documents:

CV
References
Low Skill Questionaire
LMO
Job Offer / Contract
Proof of Job Qualifications
Fees

Is this the same on landing when applying or is it a lot more straight forward as I heard as long as you have your LMO & Contract thats all you need plus the fees.

I will be working as a Long Haul Driver if that makes any difference.

Many Thanks Dave
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by sioux
I am vey nervous, Vancouver airport, I hear now has a special 'lounge' for work permit.study permit or other pre-authorised visas, so they should be well versed with us Brits coming and not planning on going back. Right?

Special "Lounge" my arse!

I landed for PR at Vancouver.... There is the main immigration desk/line-up, when you say you are here to land/TWP/etc, they check you have all of your customs doc's etc ready, tell you to get your bags and report to the Immigration office.

You leave your bags with a guard outside, take a ticket and wait to be called... Once you are at the desk, the officers are as friendly as any others (dependant on the day they've had/luck/etc).

To be honest my immigration officer was so pleased to have an english-speaking Brit with all his forms ready to go....

Good luck anyhow!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Special "Lounge" my arse!

I landed for PR at Vancouver.... There is the main immigration desk/line-up, when you say you are here to land/TWP/etc, they check you have all of your customs doc's etc ready, tell you to get your bags and report to the Immigration office.

You leave your bags with a guard outside, take a ticket and wait to be called... Once you are at the desk, the officers are as friendly as any others (dependant on the day they've had/luck/etc).

To be honest my immigration officer was so pleased to have an english-speaking Brit with all his forms ready to go....

Good luck anyhow!

I just want to back up the above. I arrived at Vancouver Airport back in June 2006 on a TWP and the immigration officer we dealt with could not have been nicer. We were half asleep due to the time difference, travelling with our 10 month old son, so to deal with an officer who was really helpful and considerate was great. Since then I've had to contact CIC in Canada on a few occassions and each time I've dealt with an immigration officer they've been courteous and helpful.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

thats good to hear, that puts our mind at rest, thank you all
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

lilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Could anyone who has applied for a TWP on landing please tell me exactly what documentation you presented to the Immigration officer to get your TWP.

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...ker/e_work.htm

If you apply to CHC London using the above link they ask for all sorts of documents:

CV
References
Low Skill Questionaire
LMO
Job Offer / Contract
Proof of Job Qualifications
Fees

Is this the same on landing when applying or is it a lot more straight forward as I heard as long as you have your LMO & Contract thats all you need plus the fees.
This is what I need to know now too. I'm flying to Calgary on Friday!! Single Mum with my son and I need to get this right!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:18 am
Just Joined

gurpreet79 has a spectacular aura aboutgurpreet79 has a spectacular aura aboutgurpreet79 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: landing quick question / travel together ????

Hi All,

I have applied for TWP & my husband for his open work permit .. which we expect to get by next week.

Can you please advise if both me & my husband travel together or He can join me at a later date without any complications. I'm asking this as i have heard that if my husband has to join me at a later date than i have to show certain amount of funds & asstets in Canada ? is that right ??

We both want to leave at different dates cos there 'll be a lot to take care of in the UK & I have my CRNE coming up in first week Oct.

Stressed & Confused ?

Welcome ur thoughts ..

Gurpreet
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

snakebite will become famous soon enoughsnakebite will become famous soon enough

we were nervous as heck when we landed at Toronto 3 weeks ago. We needn't have worried at all. The officer didn't even ask to see my LMO! The job offer letter sufficed for him. I'm sure he could see the details of the LMO on his screen.

I knew we would be ok when there were 4 or 5 russians, drunk as skunks and all shouting at each other at the next desk, in the Immigration officers words "hammered"....and they all got their work permits!

There's us being ultra polite, and calling everybody "sir", and cacking ourselves for no reason!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.