Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Travel Document - Permanent Resident Abroad

Applying for Travel Document - Permanent Resident Abroad

Old May 5th 2016, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute
Question Applying for Travel Document - Permanent Resident Abroad

Hi there,

My husband has to make an urgent & unexpected trip back to the UK.......only to discover this morning his PR card has expired!

We know he can apply for a Travel Document, which allows a PR without a PR card or an expired PR card, one entry back into Canada. What I'm wondering is, has anybody else done this & how long did it take (he had planned to go for a week but immigration this side think that won't be long enough) & also if he was to go to Canada House, in London in person, could he get one the same day?

Cheers,
Arris
Old May 5th 2016, 3:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Travel Document - Permanent Resident Abroad

He could go to the VAC office to submit his documents Canada Visa Information - United Kingdom - How To Apply but I don't believe he would be able to apply at Canada House.

Old May 8th 2016, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

P4rv1n is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Applying for Travel Document - Permanent Resident Abroad

Hi, ive just applied for a PRTD and i went to the VAC center in london, its a very easy process, just make sure your husband has everything on the checklist and get there early. It opens at 830am.
I went on a tuesday and got there at 12, at reception you say your here to apply for a canadian travel document, they will give you a ticket and go up to the second floor and wait for your number to be called.

I didnt have my passport pictures and it says on the VAC site you can get them done there, silly me thought they had the technology to take pictutes at their computer terminals whilst doing the forms but they dont, so on the tuesday i sat for an hour until it was my turn only to be told to get my pictures done on the first floor and get a brand new ticket and wait again, by this time it was around 1pm and waiting times had gone to just over an hour.
Anyway i had other things to do and decided to go back the next day. So wednesday i got there at 0800am (there was already a queue going down the street), anyway when it opened up most of the queue was for people who needed documents for other countries and i was the first one needing a document for canada.

Handed my forms to the lady for my travel document, she asked if i wanted my passport and documents sent back by post or to collect it myself, i chose post as travelling was costing about the same, i got my PRTD and passports back on satruday, so it took 4 days from going there and getting it back. No issues at all, just get there 815am the latest and your laughing.