Applying of someone's behalf

Old Jun 22nd 2023, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

express01 is on a distinguished road
Default Applying of someone's behalf

Hi,

We came to Canada in 2010 as a family of four, three of us were granted citizenship in 2022. Unfortunately my youngest daughter (24) was not able to apply at the same time due to her not having enough days in Canada as she was at college in the US at the time.

She now back in Canada and ready to apply for citizenship, Is it possible for me to handle all the paperwork on her behalf or as an adult does she have to complete it herself.

I have more time then her so It would be easier for me to handle the load.

Thanks

Old Jun 22nd 2023, 6:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying of someone's behalf

Originally Posted by express01
Hi,

We came to Canada in 2010 as a family of four, three of us were granted citizenship in 2022. Unfortunately my youngest daughter (24) was not able to apply at the same time due to her not having enough days in Canada as she was at college in the US at the time.

She now back in Canada and ready to apply for citizenship, Is it possible for me to handle all the paperwork on her behalf or as an adult does she have to complete it herself.

I have more time then her so It would be easier for me to handle the load.

Thanks
As she was a student, are you sure she cannot apply? My daughter was in the opposite situation. We were US PRs and our daughter went to uni in Toronto. Because she was at uni. and kept all ties to the US ie US bank account, credit card, car reg. and insurance, plus spent most of the uni holidays in the US, she was granted US citizenship.
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

express01 is on a distinguished road

She couldn't at the time but she now eligible, I would like to handle the paperwork for her, we don't like in the same province so it would be easier for me to do it all,

Old Jun 22nd 2023, 7:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by express01
Hi,

I have more time then her so It would be easier for me to handle the load. ....
It depends what you mean by "complete it"? It doesn't matter who completes the forms, whether they are typed/keyed, or hand written, it could be your daughter, you, a lawyer, or a literate chimp, but your daughter will have to verify the information (and she is legally responsible for the content and accuracy), and sign the forms herself*.

* In theory a POA holder could sign on her behalf, but that would make the process until necessarily complicated.