Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for "Skilled worker" - worth changing to "temp worker " ?

Applying for "Skilled worker" - worth changing to "temp worker " ?

Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future
Default Applying for "Skilled worker" - worth changing to "temp worker " ?

Hi

i'm new to all this so i'll explain

i'm in the system applying for "skilled worker" visa - wondering
if its worth changing to a "temp worker" visa or is it a case
of - if you have a job offer then it might be an idea ?

thanks
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:51 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for "Skilled worker" - worth changing to "temp worker " ?

Originally Posted by 2008orbust
i'm in the system applying for "skilled worker" visa - wondering if its worth changing to a "temp worker" visa
It does not have to be a case of either / or. It can be a case of both / and.

For example, some people apply for a permanent residence visa via the skilled worker route. But then they manage to find a job in Canada that gets a favourable Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from HRSDC and that, in turn, enables them to get a temporary work permit. That permits them to enter Canada much sooner than they otherwise would have been able to do. Then, if they get an offer of a permanent job once they're in Canada, that can have the effect of fast-tracking the PR application that they previously had lodged. This can reduce the time that it takes to get into Canada from 5 or so years to less than a year.

or is it a case of - if you have a job offer then it might be an idea ?
Yes.

You should read all the Wiki articles in the series on Canadian Immigration.

Since finding a job is crucial to speeding up your entry into Canada, you should also read all the Wiki articles in the series on Job Hunting in Canada.

But, to really learn your way around the entry process, learn your way around Canada, and learn your way around this website, you should read the Wiki article called Newcomers to the forum. It will require an investment of time up front, but I promise you it'll save you a lot of time in the long run.

The Newcomers article has links to the articles on Immigration and Job Hunting, amongst others.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future
Default Re: Applying for "Skilled worker" - worth changing to "temp worker " ?

thanks for the reply

only found this excellent forum by accident last night !