Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for rehabilitation due to inadmissibility for Canada from the UK?

Applying for rehabilitation due to inadmissibility for Canada from the UK?

Old Aug 29th 2022, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

19Flash92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for rehabilitation due to inadmissibility for Canada from the UK?

Hello, not sure if this is the right place so sorry if it isn’t.

Essentially 5 years have passed since my sentence for multiple criminal damage charges, I attempted to apply for IEC not realising that I’d need to apply for rehabilitation and that it isn’t an automatic status.

I’m happy to go through the process of applying but pretty confused on the process as it seems I need to apply for it alongside an existing application for a TRP?

I’ve been considering using a lawyer/representative as they will know the system a lot better but it’s risky as I turn 31 in a year and I’ve ready it can take up to 2 years for a reply and by that point I won’t be able to take part in IEC unless they increase the age anyway.

The response to my IEC refusal was:

• You are found inadmissible to Canada under paragraph 36(2)(b) of the IRPA: having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament.

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.
Has anyone managed to do the paper work themselves and if anyone has any info regarding their process would be appreciated.
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 8:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for rehabilitation due to inadmissibility for Canada from the UK?

Hi, you don't need both a TRP and rehab, it's one or the other (TRP's are for people who need to go to Canada before they're eligible for rehab, or who aren't eligible at all).

So you just need to apply for rehab, no need to use a lawyer at all. It does say it can take a long time, but IME unless you have multiple convictions or complicated circumstances, it's generally much quicker than stated. So get cracking and hopefully you'll be able to apply under next year's IEC program.

Good luck.