Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for PR yourself Vs using a service?

Applying for PR yourself Vs using a service?

Old May 21st 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for PR yourself Vs using a service?

As my IEC visa has now finished, and I'm back in the UK briefly for a few months to earn money before shooting off to Auckland on a year work visa (approved obviously) I was just wondering about the routes to PR & if anyone had actually used those external services to do the process?

They're obviously expensive, but aren't they usually a legal service? (Or fake scam service I have no idea).

I did the initial tests with FSW and the comprehensive test and with the Canadian work experience it looks like I score well above now, although I met a bartender out there that got his PR just from being a bartender, so not sure how that worked.

Anyway, would love to know the thoughts of people on different routes to go down, I spoke to one of these external services and the guy was basically saying chances are good, however once you hit 30 you start losing points, or that right now at 28 you're as competitive as you will be in the pool.

It could all be rubbish, which is why I came here to check with you guys!

Cheers

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 21st 2018 at 3:04 pm. Reason: Changed a word. ;-)
Old May 21st 2018, 3:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR yourself Vs using a service?

Not sure what you mean by 'service', can you clarify? Do you mean an immigration consultant? If so, I wouldn't bother unless you have complicated circumstances.

Yes, your points start going down once you're over 30, you can easily check to see if something is correct or not on the CIC website as all of the info you need is on there. Here is the info about points, you can see you start losing points as soon as you turn 30 - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html.

There's ways for a bartender to get PR, there are lots of other routes available.

I do agree with the advice you've been given, if you're eligible now (what do you score, both as a FSW and on the CRS?) then might as well apply now. Who knows where the points requirement will go in the future, or if the whole system will suddenly be overhauled. No point risking it if you're sure you want to apply for PR.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not sure what you mean by 'service', can you clarify? Do you mean an immigration consultant? If so, I wouldn't bother unless you have complicated circumstances.

Yes, your points start going down once you're over 30, you can easily check to see if something is correct or not on the CIC website as all of the info you need is on there. Here is the info about points, you can see you start losing points as soon as you turn 30 - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html.

There's ways for a bartender to get PR, there are lots of other routes available.

I do agree with the advice you've been given, if you're eligible now (what do you score, both as a FSW and on the CRS?) then might as well apply now. Who knows where the points requirement will go in the future, or if the whole system will suddenly be overhauled. No point risking it if you're sure you want to apply for PR.
Hey, by service I mean this type of thing https://haskewlaw.com/emigrate-canad...tion-services/

It could well be just super expensive scam, as the guy told me it was basically 1,800 GBP split over 4 months, which I had no intention of paying I actually only contacted them to get a preliminary review on my chances of PR.

for the FSW I believe I was scoring 76, and for CRS I will have to re-do it because I've not done it in well over a year before I had Canadian skilled experience & I was scoring about 425 I think, but I'll do that now and double check

I'm 100% sure I want to do PR for Canada, the feeling of leaving the place at the airport was horrible, like I'd left a home I'd built for myself. I've got a visa for NZ for a year, but that's more to go and explore while I get the ball rolling with PR
Old May 21st 2018, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so unless you have complicated circumstances (criminal record, medical issues etc) then there's no need to use a consultant usually, although I do seem to recall you were struggling with understanding the visa system for Canada? Apologies if I've got you mixed up with somebody else!. But if you didn't want to leave Canada, why didn't you apply for PR whilst there?

You do need to check your score, 425 won't be enough, so see what you're scoring now - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
Old May 21st 2018, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

OK, so unless you have complicated circumstances (criminal record, medical issues etc) then there's no need to use a consultant usually, although I do seem to recall you were struggling with understanding the visa system for Canada? Apologies if I've got you mixed up with somebody else!. But if you didn't want to leave Canada, why didn't you apply for PR whilst there?

You do need to check your score, 425 won't be enough, so see what you're scoring now - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
Yea I didn't have enough work experience in Canada at the time to score above the FSW I think.

But with work experience my circumstances have changed

Also weirdly I was looking at the first link you sent me, and my score came out at around 360 which I was confused as to how that could even happen, but then the second link it says I scored 482 (where it auto calculates).

Edit: Nvm I see why there was a huge difference, just because it indicated points per ability for the languages section

Last edited by WildfireV2; May 21st 2018 at 3:43 pm.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by WildfireV2
Yea I didn't have enough work experience in Canada at the time to score above the FSW I think.
You only get points for a max of 1 year work experience in Canada, so would have done after your first year, assuming it was skilled work of course. But no matter now! Just seemed a bit odd when you were there and didn't want to leave so I wondered if there was a reason.

Also weirdly I was looking at the first link you sent me, and my score came out at around 360 which I was confused as to how that could even happen, but then the second link it says I scored 482 (where it auto calculates).
You must have just missed some points, probably under the adaptability section, but the auto calculating link should be right, and 482 would get you an ITA straight away, so definitely apply asap IMO.

HTH.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

You only get points for a max of 1 year work experience in Canada, so would have done after your first year, assuming it was skilled work of course. But no matter now! Just seemed a bit odd when you were there and didn't want to leave so I wondered if there was a reason.

You must have just missed some points, probably under the adaptability section, but the auto calculating link should be right, and 482 would get you an ITA straight away, so definitely apply asap IMO.

HTH.
Yeah the reason I didn't have 1 year work experience in the first year is because I was in and out of work and hadn't really found a full 1 year contract of skilled work.

Also, what's an ITA? Sorry, I always ask so many questions but I just want to be sure & you've always helped me & this forum is the main reason I even managed to find and get an IEC, and experience Canada in the first place.

What would be the general applying process, creating an account on CIC right?
Old May 21st 2018, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah the reason I didn't have 1 year work experience in the first year is because I was in and out of work and hadn't really found a full 1 year contract of skilled work.
Ah, I see.

Also, what's an ITA?
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations

Sorry, I always ask so many questions
That's what the forum is here for!

What would be the general applying process, creating an account on CIC right?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...need-know.html. Note you must have your ECA and IELTS before being able to create an account and apply to enter the pool, just in case you don't have them already.

HTH.
Old May 21st 2018, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, I see.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations

That's what the forum is here for!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...need-know.html. Note you must have your ECA and IELTS before being able to create an account and apply to enter the pool, just in case you don't have them already.

HTH.
Cool, so first step is to get work (seen as I just got back from Toronto on friday) & get the ECA & IELTS sorted.
Old May 21st 2018, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Cool, so first step is to get work (seen as I just got back from Toronto on friday) & get the ECA & IELTS sorted.
You don't need a job for the application, it doesn't matter if you're working or not now. You may have meant it for another reason, but just thought I'd say you don't need to get work for a PR app!

Good luck.