Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for PR thru PNP, dropped TWP on HC advise. Anyone else done this?

Applying for PR thru PNP, dropped TWP on HC advise. Anyone else done this?

Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about
Default Applying for PR thru PNP, dropped TWP on HC advise. Anyone else done this?

Applied for TWP and PR thru BC PNP 5 weeks ago. Had call from High Commision asking if I wanted to withdraw TWP app as PR would only take 6 weeks. Agreed to this, the guy said our medical papers would be sent out. 2 and half weeks later I've heard nothing. Now wishing I'd kept on with TWP. Phoned HC - found out nothing. Faxed twice - nothing.

Anyone else had this exeperience
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:38 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR thru PNP, dropped TWP on HC advise. Anyone else done this?

are you sure that the hc didn't withdraw your application for skilled worker, if that's what you submitted previously? as, once approved on pnp (we're bc pnp too) your original skilled worker application is subsituted for the pnp programme and pr, once you've applied for pr?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Applying for PR thru PNP, dropped TWP on HC advise. Anyone else done this?

Hi
No I didn't put in a former PR application.I only submitted this one, once the PNP was accepted and I have BC PNP stickers all over my forms to try and fast track it. Much good that's doing me!!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:58 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

try emailing hc, as they only seem to respond to this......i even spent 4hours waiting on the pavement in london hc, only to be turned away as general enquires are only dealt with by email!!!!.....good luck.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

what email address did you use. How soon did they reply?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I'm in a similar position....

We applied for TWP before applying for PR via PNP. We received the forms for our medicals along with a letter asking if we wanted to abandon the TWP application as they said they could process the PR application just as quickly (8 weeks was their quoted processing time). We emailed them instructing them to do whatever was the quickest as I was meant to be starting work on the 1st October. We are still waiting to hear anything so I don't know now whether we are still going via TWP or PR
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Would anyone like to share what level of employment they have been applying for TWP i.e. Highly skilled or lower skilled.

I will be applying for a TWP for Long Haul Truck Driver then once in Canada applying for PNP then PR via this route.

Are you being offered faster PR for a highly skilled occupations and is it only for certain provinces as OP mentioned BC where as I will be going to PEI.

Help is appreciated.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

I'm a registered nurse.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shonaoconnor
I'm a registered nurse.
Thanks for your reply reply Shona. I think the following answers my question. Reading the extract below I presume it is for those Provinces that allow PNP aplication from outside Canada prior to arrival and as I am going to PEI prob cant as they like you to be there when applying...Drat.

From Here: http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/worker/e_pnp.htm

TEMPORARY WORKER APPLICATIONSPROVINCIAL NOMINEES APPLYING FOR WORK PERMITS

Generally, if you are applying for permanent residence as a provincial nominee, it will not be necessary to apply for a work permit first. This is because these permanent residence applications are processed relatively quickly. See our current processing times for provincial nominees and work permits.
However, some provincial nominee programs require you to work in Canada for a period of time before applying for permanent residence. Or an employer in Canada may require your urgent arrival. In such cases, you should apply for a work permit.
If your permanent residence application is approved at any time during the work permit processing, we cannot refund the processing fee for the work permit.
Provincial nominees who require work permits do not need to obtain labour market opinions. A copy of the provincial nominee certificate issued by the province must be submitted with your application

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Oct 18th 2008 at 9:16 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Would anyone like to share what level of employment they have been applying for TWP i.e. Highly skilled or lower skilled.

I will be applying for a TWP for Long Haul Truck Driver then once in Canada applying for PNP then PR via this route.

Are you being offered faster PR for a highly skilled occupations and is it only for certain provinces as OP mentioned BC where as I will be going to PEI.

Help is appreciated.
I'm a midwife - going to BC
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

as far as I know BC nomination certificate holders can apply work permit without the need for LMO, in this sense it would be pointless to apply for both LMO and PNP.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:43 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
as far as I know BC nomination certificate holders can apply work permit without the need for LMO, in this sense it would be pointless to apply for both LMO and PNP.
if i got that right we are talking about a work permit and not a lmo.

as health care pros shonaoconnor and minimeeze would need a medical for their wps though. it might be that that is the reason that chc thinks it would work out pretty much the same time wise if they went directly the pr-route.

but that's only me, speculating.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:52 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Thanks for your reply reply Shona. I think the following answers my question. Reading the extract below I presume it is for those Provinces that allow PNP aplication from outside Canada prior to arrival and as I am going to PEI prob cant as they like you to be there when applying...Drat.

From Here: http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/worker/e_pnp.htm

TEMPORARY WORKER APPLICATIONSPROVINCIAL NOMINEES APPLYING FOR WORK PERMITS

Generally, if you are applying for permanent residence as a provincial nominee, it will not be necessary to apply for a work permit first. This is because these permanent residence applications are processed relatively quickly. See our current processing times for provincial nominees and work permits.
However, some provincial nominee programs require you to work in Canada for a period of time before applying for permanent residence. Or an employer in Canada may require your urgent arrival. In such cases, you should apply for a work permit.
If your permanent residence application is approved at any time during the work permit processing, we cannot refund the processing fee for the work permit.
Provincial nominees who require work permits do not need to obtain labour market opinions. A copy of the provincial nominee certificate issued by the province must be submitted with your application

i don't really know how pei's pnp have set their rules (as those differ from province to province). i suggest that you check back with them about their exact procedure.

just to give you an idea how it works in bc - and if i'm not very much mistaken in other provinces who accept truck drivers in their pnp-program: bcpnp decided that pnps in the semi-skilled stream, like truck drivers, have to work legally for their sponsoring employer for 9 months before the can apply for pnp. it means that you have to come over on a standard work permit first, therefore initially needing a lmo.
(this rules don't apply for the skilled occupations stream of bcpnp, under which you can be nominated first, then obtain a lmo-exempt wp and finally get pr.)
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Chip_Board is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were to make a TWP application along with my PR application should I pay in £'s or $'s?..

£'s are accepted only for 'Non-immigrant' services - does this count as non-immigrant or, because I am appling to emigrate, is it an 'immigrant' service?