Applying for PR from South Korea

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

smithyutd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for PR from South Korea

Hey guys...

I posted a while back asking a few questions as we were preparing our plans for the next couple of years, and I thought I'd follow up to see if anyone has gone through anything similar, basically in the hope that they can offer some words of advice and/or encouragement as we embark on what will probably be a confusing and stressful process.

I'm living in South Korea with my Canadian girlfriend and we are about to begin our application for my PR. We are following the instructions on this site and, despite being fairly confused, I think we know what we are doing. We are hopefully going to get an appointment at the Canadian Embassy in Seoul to try and get some advice, so fingers crossed it won't be too bad!

Anyway, we're going to be here for another year or so, so we're going to start the process in the next few months as we've heard processing times can be upwards of 6 months. I'll keep this updated as we go through the process!

Wish us luck!

Smithy
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

catpoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for PR from South Korea

Good luck with it Smithy!

I was wondering whether you may be able to help as there doesn't seem to be a thread based on South Korea. There's a thread for everywhere else but not there for some reason!?

My cousin and his girlfriend are in the process of interviews for teaching English in South Korea. I wondered whether you might impart a few pearls of wisdom for them? The family don't really know what to think of it as they don't know too much about it but i think they are a little worried, thinking he's probably not done his homework.

From what i understand, there's upwards of 20,000 british ex-pats in South Korea so i'm sure it can't be too bad!?

Anyway, if you have any quick fire advice i could use as a leaving present for him i'd much appreciate it
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smithyutd
Hey guys...

I posted a while back asking a few questions as we were preparing our plans for the next couple of years, and I thought I'd follow up to see if anyone has gone through anything similar, basically in the hope that they can offer some words of advice and/or encouragement as we embark on what will probably be a confusing and stressful process.

I'm living in South Korea with my Canadian girlfriend and we are about to begin our application for my PR. We are following the instructions on this site and, despite being fairly confused, I think we know what we are doing. We are hopefully going to get an appointment at the Canadian Embassy in Seoul to try and get some advice, so fingers crossed it won't be too bad.

Anyway, we're going to be here for another year or so, so we're going to start the process in the next few months as we've heard processing times can be upwards of 6 months. I'll keep this updated as we go through the process!

Wish us luck!

Smithy
Well much good luck. Presumably you and/or partner has an occupation which will allow you apply for PR visa.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Teaching English in South Korea has very rapidly become 'a thing'. There are tons of people doing it now - especially fresh out of Uni - as they are unable to get jobs back home and they can do some travelling, pay off some debt, and live fairly comfortably.

Korea isn't the nicest country to live in. The people aren't friendly right off the bat, their office politics and cultural nuances can be something of a nuisance and the food isn't fantastic. But it has served a purpose for me, and with a bit of effort the country can become somewhat loveable.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the rules are here as to derailing threads so feel free to PM me for more info.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Well much good luck. Presumably you and/or partner has an occupation which will allow you apply for PR visa.
We're applying under the spousal sponsorship. I was under the impression that specific occupations weren't relevant for this...?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

catpoop is an unknown quantity at this point

Teaching English in South Korea has very rapidly become 'a thing'. There are tons of people doing it now - especially fresh out of Uni - as they are unable to get jobs back home and they can do some travelling, pay off some debt, and live fairly comfortably.

Korea isn't the nicest country to live in. The people aren't friendly right off the bat, their office politics and cultural nuances can be something of a nuisance and the food isn't fantastic. But it has served a purpose for me, and with a bit of effort the country can become somewhat loveable.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the rules are here as to derailing threads so feel free to PM me for more info.
Thank you that's great! Sorry, my mistake
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:29 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

We're applying under the spousal sponsorship. I was under the impression that specific occupations weren't relevant for this...?
My apologies but I missed the word "Canadian" in your original post.