Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for PR card at US/Can border

Applying for PR card at US/Can border

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Applying for PR card at US/Can border

Hi

I read somewhere that we can apply for our PR cards when we flaypole. Do we still need to complete all the same paperwork, take photos etc and bring those with us when we flagpole or is this all done on the day. Am sure is been asked before but I couldn't find an answer

thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR card at US/Can border

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

All info is in here plus you really dont need to Flagpole Im sure there is a CIC office in Calgary. The PR card is sent to you providing you provide an address in Canada to send it to. Just double check to make sure read the link.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

All info is in here plus you really dont need to Flagpole Im sure there is a CIC office in Calgary. The PR card is sent to you providing you provide an address in Canada to send it to. Just double check to make sure read the link.
Thanks - perhaps I'm missing something here (its been a long week so entirely possible) but the wiki page doesnt appear to actually answer my question (I had read it before posting so apologies if I have missed something).

We are flagpoling in the USA for a long weekend (the wait time for Calgary is current almost 2 months) so when we flagpole, do we take all the PR card paperwork with us or do we have to do this after we get back from our trip

really sorry if this is on the wiki page that you sent but really couldnt see it!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:13 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
Thanks - perhaps I'm missing something here (its been a long week so entirely possible) but the wiki page doesnt appear to actually answer my question (I had read it before posting so apologies if I have missed something).

We are flagpoling in the USA for a long weekend (the wait time for Calgary is current almost 2 months) so when we flagpole, do we take all the PR card paperwork with us or do we have to do this after we get back from our trip

really sorry if this is on the wiki page that you sent but really couldnt see it!
I think we need to clarify that you take your Passport with PR visa inside it and the paperwork that was issued when you got the passport returned. The paperwork is as important as the passport because this paperwork is used to capture the fact the visa has been used.

The passport and immigration officers will cross out the visa in the passport and ask you for details that will be entered into the paperwork. They will give you a copy of the paperwork (this is called Confirmation Of Permament Residence (CORP)). This paperwork is what confirms you are a PR......dont lose this as you need it if you apply for citizenship.

The PR card will be sent to your nominated address some weeks later.

You say your having a long weekend, so I assume you are staying overnight in the USA. So to get into USA you will show your passport and you will get directed to USA immigration. There you will apply for a temperary vistor permit (green form) and you can enter the USA.

On your way back when the Canadian passport officer stops the car, you provide your passports and state that you want to activate your PR visa. They will then direct you to Canadian Immigration...where they will ask for the passports and paperwork. You should have paperwork for each person and (if paperwork has not changed) the photos are attached.

Last edited by JB0591; Dec 3rd 2011 at 4:15 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JB0591 - thats really helpful. So we don't need to complete the PR card appliaction paperwork and bring photos with us - we just take our passports and the paperwork that came from the VO with us (thanks also for the tip about keeping the paperwork for citizenship)