Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for PR but TWP runs out in Feb

Applying for PR but TWP runs out in Feb

Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

cathcrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for PR but TWP runs out in Feb

Hi I hope someone can help me:

I am working in Alberta on a one year TWP which runs out in Feb 2011. My employer has offered me a permanent contract which I'm keen to accept, and I would like to apply for PR asap. I have received a date for my language test which is Nov 20th and planned to send my FSW application in as soon as I get the results from that back, I'm guessing early December.

One of my questions is, if I have a PR application with an AEO in do I need to ask my employer to apply for a new LMO to renew my TWP in February? If so, how soo can I apply for the TWP and LMO...

Also just to make matters more complicated I have a wedding in UK in February which I desperately want to be at. How should I time this all so that I can apply for PR asap but still leave the country in Feb and get my TWP renewed. I just have no idea about orders and timelines to help me know how to do this.

Any advice much appreciated!
thanks
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:08 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR but TWP runs out in Feb

Hi

Originally Posted by cathcrow
Hi I hope someone can help me:

I am working in Alberta on a one year TWP which runs out in Feb 2011. My employer has offered me a permanent contract which I'm keen to accept, and I would like to apply for PR asap. I have received a date for my language test which is Nov 20th and planned to send my FSW application in as soon as I get the results from that back, I'm guessing early December.

One of my questions is, if I have a PR application with an AEO in do I need to ask my employer to apply for a new LMO to renew my TWP in February? If so, how soo can I apply for the TWP and LMO...

Also just to make matters more complicated I have a wedding in UK in February which I desperately want to be at. How should I time this all so that I can apply for PR asap but still leave the country in Feb and get my TWP renewed. I just have no idea about orders and timelines to help me know how to do this.

Any advice much appreciated!
thanks
Yes, you need a new LMO and the work permit extension. The employer should probably apply in about late Oct, just in case something goes wrong. Presently an extension for a work permit is taking 66 days.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Robcal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We had a similar experience to yours. Our TWP ran out in Aug and our PR application was still in process. As long as you have a positive LMO and have applied for an extension to your TWP you can stay in Canada on implied status until your new WP arrives. You need to have implied status for your PR application to keep going( if you are applying under the FSW route). The only problem is that during implied status you may not be able to re-enter Canada if you leave the country. My advice is to get the extension process going sooner rather than later
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:38 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Do you qualify for the provincial nominee program?

If you can get a provincial nomination then your employer doesn't have to reapply for a new LMO for you to extend your TWP. You just submit the provincial nomination with your application.

Also with the provincial nomination, the language requirement is also satisfied.