Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

APplying for permanent residency IN Canada for BRITISH citizen

APplying for permanent residency IN Canada for BRITISH citizen

Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

keirongallagher is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation APplying for permanent residency IN Canada for BRITISH citizen

Hi there,

I'm looking to move out to Canada on a year-long work permit in March next year and have been told you can apply for permanent residency or working sponsorship (if you're in a stable job) from Canada. I'm moving out to Calgary and would appreciate any tips that can help me to get this done. Also seeing as the Canadian High Commision are far from helpful, my step-dad's sisters are Canadian citizens and have been for over 30 years, my step-dad has been my legal guardian from the age of 4 and now I'm 24, will this be enough to qualify for family class sponsorship?

Cheers guys, any advice will be much appreciated!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: APplying for permanent residency IN Canada for BRITISH citizen

Originally Posted by keirongallagher
Hi there,

I'm looking to move out to Canada on a year-long work permit in March next year and have been told you can apply for permanent residency or working sponsorship (if you're in a stable job) from Canada. I'm moving out to Calgary and would appreciate any tips that can help me to get this done. Also seeing as the Canadian High Commision are far from helpful, my step-dad's sisters are Canadian citizens and have been for over 30 years, my step-dad has been my legal guardian from the age of 4 and now I'm 24, will this be enough to qualify for family class sponsorship?

Cheers guys, any advice will be much appreciated!
I don't think so no.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Would it not count the same way as adoptive parents though tangram?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:10 am
Just Joined

When I emailed the high commission they emailed back with this....

Who can be sponsored in the family class?

spouses, common-law or conjugal partners 16 years of age or older;
parents and grandparents;
dependent children, including adopted children; (see below for definition)
children under 18 years of age whom you intend to adopt;
brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces or grandchildren who are orphans, under the
age of 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship; and
any other relative if you have none of the above relatives or family members,
either in Canada or abroad.

That last sentence indicates I can emmigrate on family class, what do you guys think?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Roos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really nice

i think that means that you can only use "other family members" if you have none left in uk.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:23 am
Just Joined

It would say "none in the UK" for that wouldnt it?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Roos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really nice

I take it that when it says in canada or abroad to include the uk, for example if you had an brother in oz, but only your cousin in canada, i think the brother would stop you using the cousin as a sponsor... i may be wrong i often am, but that is what i thought.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:56 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Guys and Gals, but there is no sponsorship possible here.

The "one relative" applies to the situation when sponsor doesn't have anyone in Canada (spouse, partner, child, grandchild, parent, sibling, etc.) and nobody abroad who could be sponsored. Thus it is not the case here as sponsor obviously is not alone in Canada.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 11th 2007 at 12:59 am.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Andrew,

What happen then if you went on working holiday visa and applied for PR once you got there, under a skilled worked?

I appreciate it would be difficult to tell from this thread, but how difficult is that, and what are the rough timeframes? Do you deal with many cases like that?

John
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budda
Andrew,

What happen then if you went on working holiday visa and applied for PR once you got there, under a skilled worked?

I appreciate it would be difficult to tell from this thread, but how difficult is that, and what are the rough timeframes? Do you deal with many cases like that?

John
We're in BC at the moment on one-year work permits that we got through BUNAC. Now here and feet under desks, our companies are 'sponsoring' us. Trying first through PNP and if that doesn't work then using the LMO route.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Is there a place where I can dexipher all these different acronyms? PNP and LMO?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keirongallagher
Is there a place where I can dexipher all these different acronyms? PNP and LMO?
There sure is....If you go to the Wiki in the blue panel above, then go to Canada, you'll find Canadian abbreviations, there are lots!