Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Permanent Residence AND Temporary Work

Wikiposts

Applying for Permanent Residence AND Temporary Work

Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

ScottyC will become famous soon enough
Cool Applying for Permanent Residence AND Temporary Work

Hey all, hope everyones okay....

Anyhoo, thought i'd try and get some advice on what i'm planning to do...and see if anyone has done something similar, or if it will even work.

My Canadian girlfriend has been living with me for a year now and has another year left on her working holiday visa before she has to head back to Vancouver. Ideally I want to head back to Canada with her and REALLY want to live in Canada permanently.

OK, so, we recently found out that the waiting times for Permanent Residence can sometimes be a bit mental.... (20 - 50 months!?), so i'm going to apply for that ASAP (as soon as I scrape the money together etc). BUT I am also planning on applying for jobs sometime in the Spring next year (i'm a computer games developer and want to finish the game i'm currently working on before I try and get a job in Vancouver's games industry).

The question is (finally), if i'm currently going through an application for Permanent Residence (and haven't got it yet) - will an application for a Temporary Workers permit (if i'm offered a job) botch up my PR application in any way? Or is it a case of just updating the relevant authorities about what i'm doing?

That make sense to anyone? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Permanent Residence AND Temporary Work

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Hey all, hope everyones okay....

Anyhoo, thought i'd try and get some advice on what i'm planning to do...and see if anyone has done something similar, or if it will even work.

My Canadian girlfriend has been living with me for a year now and has another year left on her working holiday visa before she has to head back to Vancouver. Ideally I want to head back to Canada with her and REALLY want to live in Canada permanently.

OK, so, we recently found out that the waiting times for Permanent Residence can sometimes be a bit mental.... (20 - 50 months!?), so i'm going to apply for that ASAP (as soon as I scrape the money together etc). BUT I am also planning on applying for jobs sometime in the Spring next year (i'm a computer games developer and want to finish the game i'm currently working on before I try and get a job in Vancouver's games industry).

The question is (finally), if i'm currently going through an application for Permanent Residence (and haven't got it yet) - will an application for a Temporary Workers permit (if i'm offered a job) botch up my PR application in any way? Or is it a case of just updating the relevant authorities about what i'm doing?

That make sense to anyone? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
It won't affect it at all. If I were you and money was tight I might consider holding off on the PR for a wee while, get the Work Permit and head over there to the job(remember you need the job first and your employer applies for the WP). You can apply once over there for PR or for the Provincial Nominee Programme (see CIC site for details) and take it from there. If you secure a job and the employer doesn't need you too urgently get them to apply to HRSDC for an Authorised Employment Opinion which will expidite your PR application, here is a link to the HRSDC site, the 1st and 2nd sections will apply to as you are from IT.
PLEASE note that IT experts in Gaming and several other software designing are in huge demand and can bypass most obstacles so read up on this link and be ready for a quick off if applicable
http://www.sdc.gc.ca/en/gateways/topics/hxe-gxr.shtml
Good Luck
STuarty