Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Perm. Residency after 18 months on an IEC

Applying for Perm. Residency after 18 months on an IEC

Old May 29th 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for Perm. Residency after 18 months on an IEC

Hi All,

I briefly introduced myself in the Welcome Inn, but it was suggested that some of my questions may be better aimed into this forum...

I am 24, and I first arrived in Vancouver in October 2010, on a temporary IEC visa. In October 2011, I renewed my visa, carrying me through until October 2012. Unforuntately, my application for a further extension was rejected due to an 'incomplete' form. I have since re-applied, but it seems that time will be against me due to there only being 9 visas left.

Vancouver has become my home; all my friends are here, my work is here, I am actively involved in the community (coaching two senior soccer teams) etc etc. and I have decided that applying for Permenent Residency is the right step for me.

So I currently work for BC Hydro, and have been here for almost a year, but I am employed by Accenture as a Full Time Temporary worker in an Administrative position. This is where I think things may get tricky a) due to the temporary employment status, and b) because I'm not sure if an Admin Assistant is considered one of the jobs which would qualify me for a skilled worker immigration.

I have a BA in Geography, but no relevant work experience (although I have almost 2 years general office/clerical experience).

Anyway, I have 4 months left on my current IEC visa, so plan on getting this ball rolling ASAP.

The questions I have are:
- Do all routes to PR require a written job offer?

- Will me being employed in a temporary role (despite the potential for another temporary role after the conclusion of this one) count against me when it comes to proving my employed status?

- If my residency isn't completed before the expiration of my IEC (which is highly likely) is there a 'temporary' visa which will keep me in the country until I get a approval/rejection for my residency, or will I need to go back to the UK and then return at a later date?

EDIT: I want to point out that I haven't just jumped on here to ask questions out of laziness; I have taken a look at the resources, but there's a lot of information to process and I just thought that a nudge in the right direction may give me a better understanding!

Last edited by kswoosh; May 29th 2012 at 8:06 am.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Perm. Residency after 18 months on an IEC

Originally Posted by kswoosh
The questions I have are:
- Do all routes to PR require a written job offer?
No, but from what you've said, that's what you'd need for PR. You'll also need your employer to either sponsor you for PR via the BC PNP, or to apply for a LMO for you, so you can apply for PR as a Skilled Worker.

- Will me being employed in a temporary role (despite the potential for another temporary role after the conclusion of this one) count against me when it comes to proving my employed status?
Your employer will need to give you a permanent job offer, but you having been temporary up until now will make no difference.

- If my residency isn't completed before the expiration of my IEC (which is highly likely) is there a 'temporary' visa which will keep me in the country until I get a approval/rejection for my residency, or will I need to go back to the UK and then return at a later date?
It's more than 'highly unlikely' - PR will take you around a year or so to obtain.

You can stay in Canada, by switching to a visitor visa, although obviously you can't work on that. If you go down the BC PNP route then you'll get a work permit so maybe look at that option?

HTH, good luck.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to answer what are probably quite basic questions.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, but from what you've said, that's what you'd need for PR. You'll also need your employer to either sponsor you for PR via the BC PNP, or to apply for a LMO for you, so you can apply for PR as a Skilled Worker.
What routes don't require a work offer? Or are you saying that in my case, none of those options would be viable?

Your employer will need to give you a permanent job offer, but you having been temporary up until now will make no difference.
Tried but to no avail. My position isn't actually a position apparently, so they just fill it with one of the 'temporary' vacancies from their headcount.

You can stay in Canada, by switching to a visitor visa, although obviously you can't work on that. If you go down the BC PNP route then you'll get a work permit so maybe look at that option?
Is it reasonable to assume that the PNP could be concluded within 4 months?

From the research I have done so far, this seems to be the best way to go, although it will be interesting to see if a company is willing to go out on a limb to sponsor someone who hasn't actually worked for them. Seems most unlikely. And given my lack of experience, it will be difficult for me to get a job which can't be filled by a Canadian.

I think I'm just gonna have to hope for the best that my IEC gets accepted at the 2nd attempt to buy me another 12 months. I honestly can't see me getting a job very easily from the UK.

Last edited by kswoosh; May 29th 2012 at 8:25 am.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What routes don't require a work offer? Or are you saying that in my case, none of those options would be viable?
Exactly, none of those route (such as spousal sponsorship, investor visa, Community Identified Stream etc) apply to you from what you've said, so your only option would be a permanent job offer.

Tried but to no avail.
Oh bum.

No, it'll take around a year - although you might get to the first stage (i.e. the work permit) by then.

I think I'm just gonna have to hope for the best that my IEC gets accepted at the 2nd attempt to buy me another 12 months. I honestly can't see me getting a job very easily from the UK.
Just checking, but you are you definitely eligible for another IEC visa? It's just that you said you moved to Canada in Oct 2010, so I can't see how you'd meet the '18 months in the past 3 years in the UK' requirement for the program?
Old May 29th 2012, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Just checking, but you are you definitely eligible for another IEC visa? It's just that you said you moved to Canada in Oct 2010, so I can't see how you'd meet the '18 months in the past 3 years in the UK' requirement for the program?
No, I think this is where the problem is going to arise.

I initially applied in March, which was before my 18 months in the last three years had expired. My ex girlfriend (who I came over with originally) also applied at the same time. Hers was approved, but it was not approved until recently, which was after the 18 months had expired (she got hers last week, when the 18 month cut off date was April 10, 2012).

I re-applied (have just had my notice of receipt) but since I applied after the 18 months had expired, I'm not feeling too confident that it'll be approved. But I'm holding a glimmer of hope based on the logic that my ex's visa was approved despite the expiration of the 18 month thing. Although I'm pretty sure that because we got our 'notice of receipt' before the 10th of April, that's what mattered (rather than their processing time).

One last point: With regard to this: "If you have worked in a job in the last 10 years that is on the list of Eligible Occupations you can apply for Permanent Residence as a Federal Skilled Worker, as long as you were in the job for at least 1 year full-time and also have a minimum of 67 points on the self-assessment test." Presumably you don't need to still be working in that current job when you apply for residency? And has that list changed since 2010? Because I was looking on the CIC website and was getting really confused about what constitutes as a Skill Level A, and Skill Level B - as all the jobs are classified by numbers?

Last edited by kswoosh; May 29th 2012 at 8:42 am.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

No, I think this is where the problem is going to arise.

I initially applied in March, which was before my 18 months in the last three years had expired. My ex girlfriend (who I came over with originally) also applied at the same time.

Hers was approved, but it was not approved until recently, which was after the 18 months had expired (she got hers last week, when the 18 month cut off date was April 10, 2012). I re-applied (have just had my notice of receipt) but since I applied after the 18 months had expired, I'm not feeling too confident that it'll be approved. But I'm holding a glimmer of hope based on the logic that my ex's visa was approved despite the expiration of the 18 month thing.
Ah, ok. So in which case I think the only thing you can do is keep your fingers crossed that you get your IEC, and then find a lovely employer prepared to try to keep you permanently! Or look at the Canadian Experience Class, as you maybe eligible for that after a while too.

Good luck.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

I applied for BC PNP in 2010, and it took 5 months just to get nominated then (which will give you a work permit support letter), and then another.. year and a bit to get PR, and these things tend not to get faster..

Getting PR through CEC if you qualify is currently showing at 15 months, but you'd have to leave Canada if your current visa expires before then (though you could return after CEC PR is approved).
Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

ggreenwo is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
I thought I would ask a couple of questions also on here as I am in a kinda similar situation! I arrived to Vancouver January this year on IEC visa, I have just applied for my second year (so hopefully i will get this which if I do then I will have visa until Jan 2014) I currently work for Ledcor and I am a permenant employee. I really want to stay and have no intention of going back to the UK any time soon! Which is the best way for me to get PR? Would you recommend that I start applying now.... I would like to apply without having to involve my employer but just not sure which would be the best route.... so many different options out there that I've done so much reading im probably more confused now than before!!!
Thanks a million for your help!
Gemma
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:48 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the processing times are quicker now for BC PNP, my boyfriends nomination came through in 8 weeks!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

I think i read CEC was moving to 12 months not 24 months, so you may qualify for that, though i dont know about twp's while you wait.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ggreenwo
hi all,
I thought I would ask a couple of questions also on here as I am in a kinda similar situation! I arrived to Vancouver January this year on IEC visa, I have just applied for my second year (so hopefully i will get this which if I do then I will have visa until Jan 2014) I currently work for Ledcor and I am a permenant employee. I really want to stay and have no intention of going back to the UK any time soon! Which is the best way for me to get PR? Would you recommend that I start applying now.... I would like to apply without having to involve my employer but just not sure which would be the best route.... so many different options out there that I've done so much reading im probably more confused now than before!!!
Thanks a million for your help!
Gemma
Routes to PR:
1 - Get your company to sponsor you via an LMO. High chances of being rejected, bot not impossible. Would take about 1 year - 2 years.
2 - Get your company approved via Provincial Nominee. Once again you need to be skilled, and the company needs to do it. Looking at less than 1 year but it varies, generally faster than 1.
3 - Spousal Sponor - Unless you have been living with a Canadian for a year, its out.
4 - Canadian Experience Class - 2 years work experience. You cannot apply before you have the 3900 hours, so you could not start that application yet.

And thats pretty much it!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I think the processing times are quicker now for BC PNP, my boyfriends nomination came through in 8 weeks!
My nomination came through in six weeks (Submitted Feb 2012), although I wouldn't count on it being that fast every time.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Routes to PR:
1 - Get your company to sponsor you via an LMO. High chances of being rejected, bot not impossible. Would take about 1 year - 2 years.
2 - Get your company approved via Provincial Nominee. Once again you need to be skilled, and the company needs to do it. Looking at less than 1 year but it varies, generally faster than 1.
3 - Spousal Sponor - Unless you have been living with a Canadian for a year, its out.
4 - Canadian Experience Class - 2 years work experience. You cannot apply before you have the 3900 hours, so you could not start that application yet.

And thats pretty much it!
Hi,

Thanks for this! Very much appriciated!!!! I have a feeling that I am going to have to go via the Provincial Nominee as by partner is British and my second year IEC visa would run out before I get the 2 years experience!
Oh I really hope that we get to stay - we are loving it and think that 2 years just wouldnt be enough!!!!!

Thanks again for all help!
Gemma
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

I know your pain so much! In less popular provences, the PNP is quick, in ontario its delayed and takes almost 8 months to get the company approved!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottyxx
I know your pain so much! In less popular provences, the PNP is quick, in ontario its delayed and takes almost 8 months to get the company approved!
Yeah I know! I've been reading some of your comments on the other forums also and feel your pain too! We are in Vancouver, so its a popular destination..... wish right now that we had gone somewhere remote, would be quicker!!!! hehe but we are now in love with Vancouver to even think of going somewhere else!!! Oh well just hope that we all get what we want! Thanks again for your advise - I might be asking more questions down the line again!
Gemma

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.