Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Perm Res while on IEC

Applying for Perm Res while on IEC

Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for Perm Res while on IEC

I'm married to a Canadian and currently living in the UK. I want to set out my visa plans and can somebody please tell me whether or not they foresee a problem?

I apply for perm res as a spouse sponsorship application, indicating London as my visa office, before leaving for Canada.

I have an IEC visa which I will activate soon, moving to Canada in the next 2 months or so, but after I have applied for perm res

I live in Canada as a temp resident (IEC) while waiting for perm res to be approved.

Is there any issue with applying in the UK, then going to Canada on IEC? I'm quite happy that this is allowed but somebody we know is furrowing her brow about it.

Seems pretty clear from Souxie's post that IEC does not carry implied status but somebody I know got this. Have the rules changed recently? Looks like if my perm res visa took longer than 14 months to process, I'd have to leave Canada for a while.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:26 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Perm Res while on IEC

You can get implied status as a visitor not to work
You wouldnt have to leave but you couldn't work
Whatever your friend got it wasn't implied working status
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Zoe, I think to stay but not work you apply to convert status to tourist which gives you another 3 months? Safer than waiting for a knock at the door!!

You see any problem with applying in London and them moving over on IEC?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:43 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Your plan sounds fine to me. There are lots of others who have done similar things. Go over with proof that you have applied for sponsorship as well, and when you get to the border you just activate your IEC. If you are asked about the fact that you are travelling with and married to a Canadian, say you have already applied for PR via spousal sponsorship, you applied outland via London, and you're waiting on that, but in the meantime your plan is to work under IEC until PR comes through then you'll change status.

If you apply for PR outland before you go to Canada you will very likely have it in about 7 or so months - hav ea look at the spreadsheet linked in my signature for an idea of processing times... and once you apply, let me know so I can add you!

The implied status thing that Zoe mentioned is correct. If your IEC runs out before you have PR, you can apply to change your status to a visitor, then you can stay in Canada under implied status as a visitor until you hear back about your status change, and then you'll be able to stay as a visitor until your PR comes through, or until the end of that visitor status... so say you apply, they give you another 6 months as a visitor, you'd have to apply again if you don't have PR through within 6 months. But as I said, highly unlikely you'd have to go down this route anyway as you should have your PR through in about 7 or so months after applying.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:45 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

PS, you can read more about IEC and Implied Status here - Implied Status after an IEC Work Permit ends : British Expat Wiki

As Zoe said, whatever your friend has is not implied status as a worker, and if they say they do, they are very, very wrong.