Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying outside or inside canada and right to remain

Applying outside or inside canada and right to remain

Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

mwatsonca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying outside or inside canada and right to remain

Hi everyone

again have another question on my PR application.

I've noticed how the posted estimated processing times vary widely from the office in AB and the London office. I am currently residing inside of Canada on an IEC visa and am planning to send my PR off this month.

My question is, firstly am i allowed to apply to the London office even if I am currently living inside Canada? If i do do I have to hide the fact I am currently in Canada? Seems a bit dodgy....

Secondly, If i apply to the London Office, will i still have the right to remain once my current visa expires??'

Any help would be great. I am really nervous about all of this so as much detail as possible would be great!!!!
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying outside or inside canada and right to remain

Originally Posted by mwatsonca
Hi everyone

again have another question on my PR application.

I've noticed how the posted estimated processing times vary widely from the office in AB and the London office. I am currently residing inside of Canada on an IEC visa and am planning to send my PR off this month.

My question is, firstly am i allowed to apply to the London office even if I am currently living inside Canada? If i do do I have to hide the fact I am currently in Canada? Seems a bit dodgy....

Secondly, If i apply to the London Office, will i still have the right to remain once my current visa expires??'

Any help would be great. I am really nervous about all of this so as much detail as possible would be great!!!!
Hi, you're in exactly the same situation as me.

Yes you can still apply to the London office although you are in Canada. There is a much faster processing time, but be aware that 'if' there is a request for an interview then you will have to go to London... You do not (and should not) hide the fact that you are currently in Canada.

And no you will not have the right to remain once your IEC visa expires (I had hoped so too...). If you can, you could apply for a new IEC visa. When does your current one expire?

Your other option is to find an employer that has a chance at getting you a positive LMO...
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

IEC has been refused for next year

The right to remain is quite important to me. I should be able to remain if I apply from within Canada instead of London though right? Work isn't importnat as long as I can remain.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I thought you were going for implied status on a work visa while you wait.

Yes you should be able to change your status to 'Visitor' and they can give you up to 6 months
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The right to remain is quite important to me. I should be able to remain if I apply from within Canada instead of London though right? Work isn't importnat as long as I can remain.
No, you don't get any 'right to remain' no matter how you apply. But you can just switch to a visitor visa, so you can stay. Can't work on that though, is a LMO an option maybe if you want to keep working?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Okay sorry I'm getting a bit confuzzled here

A) So I could apply to London, take advantage of the shortened processing time, and remain in Canada on a visitor visa when my IEC runs out?

B) If i apply in Canada instead and it takes 19 months from start to finish if i go by the website, am i still limited to 6 months as a visitor? I was under the impression I could remain until a decision was made, no matter how long that takes.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A) So I could apply to London, take advantage of the shortened processing time, and remain in Canada on a visitor visa when my IEC runs out?
Yep, or get your employer to apply for a LMO so you can switch to a 'normal' TWP and keep working.

B) If i apply in Canada instead and it takes 19 months from start to finish if i go by the website, am i still limited to 6 months as a visitor? I was under the impression I could remain until a decision was made, no matter how long that takes.
Yes you are still limited to 6 months as a visitor (although can apply to extend that). You can't stay until a decision is made, that's only applicable for 'implied status' but you can't get that from an IEC.

HTH clarify it a bit! When does your IEC expire?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Awesome info everyone thank so you much.

So since my IEC runs out in September, London looks like a good option with the possibility of a TWP for the 4 months in between my IEC and a decision.

Really appreciate all the help.

Conjonway - might be picking your brain soon for some advice!!!!!
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So since my IEC runs out in September, London looks like a good option with the possibility of a TWP for the 4 months in between my IEC and a decision.
Sounds like a plan. You may be lucky and get PR by Sept, seems to be taking around 6 months on average at the mo. Fingers crossed for you!

Edit: just realised that PMM has given you the info you need about IEC's and implied status in post no. 2 of your previous thread so it might be worth a re-read - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751498

Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again

Yes I realised early on implied status was not going to happen for me - but had been fed this whole 'right to remain' thing existed. Very grateful for all the information from you lot - thank you again.