Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for first British Passport. Advice?

Applying for first British Passport. Advice?

Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:56 am
Just Joined

davecook87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for first British Passport. Advice?

Hello Britons. I was born in Canada to a British father and I'm now sorting through all my documentation to get my passport application sent off. I have a few concerns though:

First of all, my father's birth certificate was registered in 1939 when he was born, but he got a new copy of it sent to Canada in 1997, but even this birth certificate looks like it is handwritten. It's on an official printed certificate with the royal seal and all that, but the details are handwritten. Is that going to be a problem?

Also, my father had a previous marriage and the passport forms say I need to include evidence of termination of any previous marriages. I'm having a hell of a time finding any kind of divorce papers though. I have my parents' marriage certificate. Do you think that would be enough? It says I need both but if I dont send those divorce papers I feel like the passport office would never figure out that he had any previous marriage. It seems like a pretty innocent bit of deception to me and I dont think anyone would know the difference. Perhaps you guys know better. What do you think?

Thanks for any help

David
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:45 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for first British Passport. Advice?

As for your birth certificate, all the British birth certificates I have ever seen have been hand written so I don't think this will be problem.

As to your second question, I don't have any expertise on this. But, I would suggest that the passport office may have access to records of marriages. I don't think it is a very good idea to indulge in even minor deceptions. You never know what might come back and bite you in the rear at a future time. If you really can't find any record of the divorce perhaps a short note explaining the circumstances might be in order.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:56 am
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Copies of divorce certificates, called "Decree Absolute" can be obtained here;

http://www.ukofficialservices.co.uk/..._certificates/

BTW, all UK birth certificates are hand written

HTH,

M.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:12 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
Copies of divorce certificates, called "Decree Absolute" can be obtained here;

http://www.ukofficialservices.co.uk/..._certificates/

BTW, all UK birth certificates are hand written

HTH,

M.
Or you can get it from here for a lower cost
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Hl1/Help...ns/DG_10013295
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:22 am
Just Joined

davecook87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help, that is a relief that they are all handwritten. About the divorce certificate though, he was married and divorced in Canada so those websites won't be much help but I'll look into finding something similar for Canadians.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:52 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.canlaw.com/forms/divorce.htm
Old Aug 17th 2008, 4:16 am
Just Joined

auntannie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davecook87
Hello Britons. I was born in Canada to a British father and I'm now sorting through all my documentation to get my passport application sent off. I have a few concerns though:

First of all, my father's birth certificate was registered in 1939 when he was born, but he got a new copy of it sent to Canada in 1997, but even this birth certificate looks like it is handwritten. It's on an official printed certificate with the royal seal and all that, but the details are handwritten. Is that going to be a problem?

Also, my father had a previous marriage and the passport forms say I need to include evidence of termination of any previous marriages. I'm having a hell of a time finding any kind of divorce papers though. I have my parents' marriage certificate. Do you think that would be enough? It says I need both but if I dont send those divorce papers I feel like the passport office would never figure out that he had any previous marriage. It seems like a pretty innocent bit of deception to me and I dont think anyone would know the difference. Perhaps you guys know better. What do you think?

Thanks for any help

David
The birth certificate sounds like a certified copy which is official and legal. Certificates may be handwritten (usually done if requested) or typed. You probably have to supply a copy of your parents marriage certificate together with the decree absolute from his first marriage. If you are not sure of the year he was divorced you can order a decree absolute where a 10 year search of records are undertaken from here. They also supply duplicate marriage certificates:-

http://www.certifiedcertificatesuk.c...tificates.aspx