Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship with less than required physical presence.

Applying for Citizenship with less than required physical presence.

Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:25 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for Citizenship with less than required physical presence.

Hello there.

I have patiently been adding every time my husband has left the country for his job. He is a truck driver and has been in the USA nearly every week for 3 years. I have only added 3 books and we are under the required physical 1094 days. The forms say that you can apply to a Citizenship judge for them to make a decision about physical presence and because OH works for a Canadian company I thought we may get away with it.

Question - has anyone ever applied for Citizenship with less than the required days and been approved?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:06 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship with less than required physical presence.

I'm sure the "spirit" of the rule is that the person lives in Canada for the time required, altho your hubby stays away he still resides at home so you might get away with it, other question is at the current pattern, how long til he is likely to qualify?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Hello there.

I have patiently been adding every time my husband has left the country for his job. He is a truck driver and has been in the USA nearly every week for 3 years. I have only added 3 books and we are under the required physical 1094 days. The forms say that you can apply to a Citizenship judge for them to make a decision about physical presence and because OH works for a Canadian company I thought we may get away with it.

Question - has anyone ever applied for Citizenship with less than the required days and been approved?
Have a look at that http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/cp05-eng.pdf page 13/14

allowable exceptions:
2. Where are the applicant’s immediate family and dependents (and extended family) resident?
Example of an allowable exception: "an applicant leaves Canada for several days each month, but her mother-in-law, her husband and her children all continue to live in Canada while she is outside of the country.

3. Does the pattern of physical presence in Canada indicate a returning home or merely visiting the country?
Example of an allowable exception: an applicant leaves Canada each month for 7 or 10 days, but stays abroad at hotels where the applicant conducts business or at the home of someone the applicant is visiting. The applicant always returns to Canada at a home owned or rented by the applicant.

Good luck
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:19 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

thank you both for your replies

When I get to the bottom of the pile of log books and after inputting all the dates onto the website I think we'll see how many days shy he is and go from there.

If things work out ok I will post the info.