British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Applying for Citizenship - Leaving for the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/applying-citizenship-leaving-us-938134/)

Rainmaker Apr 15th 2021 5:13 am

Applying for Citizenship - Leaving for the US?

Hi All,

Assume that I am eligible for Canadian citizenship today, am I at liberty to apply for it, and while the application is being processed, attend a visa appointment at the US consulate to confirm my H1B US visa and relocate to begin working in the US on the temporary visa while awaiting for my Canadian citizenship application to process? :s

I am in Canada as a PR and have not too long to go before I am eligible for Canadian citizenship, however, I have also had my US H1B petition approved to relocate to the US for work purposes, and am trying to work out a few options with the above question being one of them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Former Lancastrian Apr 15th 2021 9:33 am

Re: Applying for Citizenship - Leaving for the US?

From the IRCC website
You can leave Canada after we receive your application as long as you:
  • keep your permanent resident (PR) status
  • can receive any letter mail, parcels and emails we send you after you submit your application
  • can reply to our letters and emails within the specified time, usually within 30 days
  • are available in person in Canada to attend your citizenship test (if you’re between 18 and 54 years of age), interview, and ceremony
Let us know if you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row.

At the moment all in person Citizenship tests are cancelled due to Covid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html

Rainmaker Jun 12th 2022 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12995556)
From the IRCC website
You can leave Canada after we receive your application as long as you:
  • keep your permanent resident (PR) status
  • can receive any letter mail, parcels and emails we send you after you submit your application
  • can reply to our letters and emails within the specified time, usually within 30 days
  • are available in person in Canada to attend your citizenship test (if you’re between 18 and 54 years of age), interview, and ceremony
Let us know if you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row.

At the moment all in person Citizenship tests are cancelled due to Covid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html

Thank you ever so much for the above.

With respect to the "keep your permanent resident (PR) status", in relocating to the US and taking on a temporary US work visa, am I obligated to then give up my Canadian PR status?

Former Lancastrian Jun 12th 2022 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rainmaker (Post 13121420)
Thank you ever so much for the above.

With respect to the "keep your permanent resident (PR) status", in relocating to the US and taking on a temporary US work visa, am I obligated to then give up my Canadian PR status?

No but to remain a PR you must meet the 730 day residency obligation in every 5 year rolling period unless accompanying a Canadian citizen outside of Canada.

Rainmaker Jun 13th 2022 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13121453)
No but to remain a PR you must meet the 730 day residency obligation in every 5 year rolling period unless accompanying a Canadian citizen outside of Canada.

Thank you Former Lancastrian, very insightful.

I need to bother you with a few more questions please. I am going through the citizenship application process with the test coming up followed by the months of waiting which will follow until the process is completed. Next month (or the month after) I will be embarking on a relocation to the US on a short term H-1B work visa.
  • Question 1) I will be heading over with my spouse, who is Canadian. The citizenship application process will therefore continue while I am on the ground in the US. I am not obligated to give up my Canadian PR as per your previous response. Is there anything wrong with how I am carrying this out?
  • Question 2) Assuming I have undertaken the citizenship test, am I obligated to inform those that are handling my application that I will be residing in the US throughout the duration of the remainder of the application process? I read above that the authorities are to be informed if I intend on being away for more than two weeks, however, I am not sure if that applies to pre- or post-test.

Many thanks!