Applying for citizenship

Old Sep 17th 2004, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Mystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really nice
Smile Applying for citizenship

Hello everyone,

this is only my first posting, so please be gentle with me!!
I have a few questions which I hope some of you will be able to answer.
To start with here are my circumstances.

I have applied for Canadian Citizenship in April 04.
I was born in 1966 in the UK.
My mother is a Canadian born and bred and my father is British and gained Canadian Citizenship in the 60s, of this he has retained dual citizenship.
I have one brother and two sisters all of whom were born in Canada. Two of which still live in Canada. My parents live here in the UK.
So as you can see I am the only one out of a family of canadian citizens that isn't a canadian citizen.

The first question, how long is my application likely to take?

Am I right in thinking that I will gain automatic citizenship?

What will happen to my British husband, and does he need to do anything?

Many Thanks,

Karen
Old Sep 17th 2004, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for citizenship

You may be entitled under the transitional provisions for those born outside Canada to a Canadian parent (like me!) between Jan 1st, 1947 and Feb 14th, 1977 which ended Aug 14 2004, I'm assuming CIC will be looking at all applications received before that date.

Why does your husband need to do anything? He will remain British, there is no automatic citizenship on being married to a Canadian

I didn't formally apply for my citizenship until a few years ago. There's no such thing as "automatic", I had to fight tooth and nail for mine although I'm the daughter of a BC-born citizen! If I remember rightly it took about 8mths from submitting the papers until I heard the "Yes" from Ottawa but as I said, mine was a slightly unusual case and I am told I was expedited so don't take my timeline as gospel.

Wishing you luck

Biiiiink
Old Sep 17th 2004, 11:41 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

I may be wrong but as I understood it you are a canadian citizen. You may want to verify if you can simply apply for a passport by submitting the necessary paperwork like your Birth certificate and that of your canadian born mother.

Can someone confirm
Old Sep 17th 2004, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

AgentX is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Applying for citizenship

Hi you may be eligible for citizenship but if you want to live there with your husband he will need a PARTNER VISA TO WORK. Do you work? i can give you a very good migration agent who you can talk to for free then see if he can do anything however if you want to engage his services then you can work out a fee but he will not charge you full payment tiull you get your visa issued.

email [email protected] ask for ERIC or call 001416 3639977

Say Dave from the UK recommended him may get a better price.

QUOTE=Mystic Kazza]Hello everyone,

My mother is a Canadian born and bred and my father is British and gained Canadian Citizenship in the 60s, of this he has retained dual citizenship.
I have one brother and two sisters all of whom were born in Canada. Two of which still live in Canada. My parents live here in the UK.
So as you can see I am the only one out of a family of canadian citizens that isn't a canadian citizen.

Many Thanks,

Karen[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Max Chaudhary is an unknown quantity at this point

given the fact that one of your parents was a Canadian citizen when you were born, you appear to have a right to Canadian citizenship.
Originally Posted by AgentX
Hi you may be eligible for citizenship but if you want to live there with your husband he will need a PARTNER VISA TO WORK. Do you work? i can give you a very good migration agent who you can talk to for free then see if he can do anything however if you want to engage his services then you can work out a fee but he will not charge you full payment tiull you get your visa issued.

Many Thanks,

Karen
[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:24 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no such thing as "partner visa to work" for spouses of Canadian citizens.

Many Thanks,

Karen
[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Thats why i say check with an agent i know enough about skilled worker but prefer to advise check with a qualified agent for others. Is she a Canadian citizen then i tought you had to be born whilst resident in Canadian territories to be automatically citizen like every other country. I couldn't have Canadian Dad say in the UK I was then born in the UK i couldn't expect to be automatically a Citizen of Canada could i?

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
There is no such thing as "partner visa to work" for spouses of Canadian citizens.

[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 17th 2004, 5:27 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why i say check with an agent i know enough about skilled worker but prefer to advise check with a qualified agent for others. Is she a Canadian citizen then i tought you had to be born whilst resident in Canadian territories to be automatically citizen like every other country. I couldn't have Canadian Dad say in the UK I was then born in the UK i couldn't expect to be automatically a Citizen of Canada could i?
For the record Andrew Miller IS a qualified agent.

You are mistaken....sort of
I am a british born brit (also dual canadian citizen), living in canada. My daughter, born in Canada, with a canadian mother, is canadian but can automatically expect British citizenship if she applies for it because of my nationality, even though she has never set foot in the UK. However, her children (when / if that happens) cannot claim to be british because she is, unless they are born in the UK, or have a british born father. This is becasue although she would be British, she wasnt born there.

Yes, its complicated sometimes, but I dont think it is in the original posters case!

As I understand it (and I am no expert!) She is entitled to canadian citizenship because her mother is canadian. Her husband is not. If they wish to come to canada, she would have to sponsor him to be a permanent resident, and he couldnt work in Canada until they had "approval in principal" which takes a few months at least. Three years after landing as a PR (assuming no time out of Canada, and not counting time before PR as "half time", which you could do I think) he could apply for canadian citizenship.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 17th 2004 at 8:44 pm. Reason: Trying to clarify details...and failing!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

as i said anyone born in Canada even for a week will get a canadian birth certificate thus automatic citizenship. Others no matter how many family members are Canadian Citizens you have to apply in your own right unless special circumstances apply or if speciality visas are available. So the moral is check with those like Eric and Andrew to be safe

For the record Andrew Miller IS a qualified agent.

You are mistaken....sort of
I am a brit (also dual canadian citizen), living in canada. My daughter, born in Canada, can automatically expect British citizenship, due to me, as well as being canadian. However, her children (when / if that happens) cannot claim to be british because she is, unless they are born in the UK, or have a british born father.

Yes, its complicated sometimes, but I dont think it is in the original posters case!

As I understand it (and I am no expert!) She is entitled to canadian citizenship because her mother is canadian. Her husband is not. If they wish to come to canada, she would have to sponsor him to be a permanent resident, and he couldnt work in Canada until they had "approval in principal" which takes a few months at least. Three years after landing as a PR (assuming no time out of Canada, and not counting time before PR as "half time", which you could do I think) he could apply for canadian citizenship.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 17th 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had to look into this situation. "Common sense" assumptions may not prevail.

For example,

I was born in Canada, of 2 Canadian parents. But I have no claim to Canadian citizenship, because my parents naturalized in the US when I was not yet 18 and before 1977. No, they deliberately did not include me on the application so I would have a choice. Consequently, the US recognized me as an alien when I was 18 and issued me a green card. Canada did not consider me a citizen. I had some trouble straightening this out.

My sister, on the other hand, was born in the US before my parents naturalized. She is not Canadian, but had she submitted her application before August 14, 2004, she could have been granted her Canadian citizenship, despited my parents' naturalization in the US. So, being born outside Canada put her in better stead than had she been born in Canada like me. It is surprising how often I have to argue with customs officials who cannot fathom that I have been stripped of my Canadian citizenship. They consider my birth certificate proof. I wish CIC did as well.

I don't know if you submitted your application before August 14 (and if it was the correct one). If you did not, I fear you may not be considered a citizen.

This is the kind of matter upon which you should probably consult a qualified Canadian immigration attorney. Canada is second to none in carrying bureaucracy to ridiculous extremes. The fact that I, Canadian born of Canadian parents must apply to immigrate back to the country of my birth, and that CIC has opposed any efforts to rectify this (quite possibly illegal under the U.N. charter) loophole in the 1947 citizenship act should tell you something.

I hope you get a favourable decision on this. If you do not, and you applied prior to August 14, I would definitely consult an attorney.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point

oh, I just saw the April 4 on your original post. That is very good. Best of luck!!!
Old Sep 18th 2004, 1:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is she a Canadian citizen then i tought you had to be born whilst resident in Canadian territories to be automatically citizen like every other country.
You thought wrong. It's quite possible to automatically get Canadian citizenship at birth (from a Canadian parent) even if born outside Canada.

'Like every other country' - what do you mean? - most countries have provisions for citizenship by descent from parents (sometimes with conditions) even if the child is born outside their territory.

I couldn't have Canadian Dad say in the UK I was then born in the UK i couldn't expect to be automatically a Citizen of Canada could i?
Short answer - yes you could.

Longer answer is it depends on when you were born (eg before 1 January 1947, after 14 Feb 1977, or between those two dates), whether the Canadian parent is a mother or father, whether the parents are married, and whether the Canadian parent is born or naturalised in Canada. Special rules may apply if the Canadian parent is from Newfoundland and birth takes place before 1 April 1949. And there likely will be complications if the Canadian parent naturalised or registered as a UK citizen on or before 14 Feb 1977.

Jeremy
Old Sep 18th 2004, 2:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBosco
I was born in Canada, of 2 Canadian parents. But I have no claim to Canadian citizenship, because my parents naturalized in the US when I was not yet 18 and before 1977. No, they deliberately did not include me on the application so I would have a choice. Consequently, the US recognized me as an alien when I was 18 and issued me a green card. Canada did not consider me a citizen. I had some trouble straightening this out.
If you were a permanent resident in the US and both your parents naturalised, you likely acquired US citizenship automatically at that point:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/CCANationality3.pdf

As a US citizen, it would not have been legally possible for the INS to 'recognise' you as an alien at age 18 and if they did issue you a green card they likely did so in error. And such an erroneous issue of a green card does not cancel US citizenship.

My sister, on the other hand, was born in the US before my parents naturalized. She is not Canadian, but had she submitted her application before August 14, 2004, she could have been granted her Canadian citizenship, despited my parents' naturalization in the US. So, being born outside Canada put her in better stead than had she been born in Canada like me.
Had she been registered as a Canadian at birth she'd be in the same boat as you.

But now you're better off than she is - if she did not apply for Canadian citizenship before Aug 14th - as you can likely immigrate to Canada under the concessionary rules for former Canadians, while she likely cannot.

The fact that I, Canadian born of Canadian parents must apply to immigrate back to the country of my birth, and that CIC has opposed any efforts to rectify this (quite possibly illegal under the U.N. charter) loophole in the 1947 citizenship act should tell you something.
Many (in fact, most) countries do not automatically grant citizenship to people born on their territory in the first place. And plenty of countries strip citizenship from their citizens, for a variety of reasons.

There is a UN convention to ensure that people are not left stateless. Canada's pre 1977 laws were generally not in breach of this, as usually (including cases where children were liable to lose citizenship on parents' naturalisation elswehere) there was an exemption where the child did not have any other non-Canadian citizenship. Clearly this exemption would not have kicked in where the child acquired US citizenship alongside the parents.

Jeremy
Old Sep 18th 2004, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Mystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really nice

Thanks for all the responses guys , I think it has made things slightly clearer .
The application was submitted to the London Uk embassy in March and they sent some of it back with further instructions on what to do , they even rung me up in person first ! They advised me to apply through my father as opposed to my mother as they said it would be easier , I have two children and they advised me to apply for them at the same time .

So as you can see this was done under the guiding hand (!) of the canadian immigration embassy .

All the info - and there was lots - that they needed was sent off to Sydney NS in May , so well before August the 14th . We didn`t realise that there was a deadline ,as it was never mentioned , I suppose in hindsight it may have been better to go through a lawyer , however ...

Heres to hoping for the right decision , I would like to think there wont be a problem .

Thank you for the contact names you have given me , I will wait for a decision , and as you say , if not favourable i will contact them .

Please feel free anyone else to chip in on this . It has to be said judging by other threads on Canadian immigration it is quite a minefield , good luck to anyone going through it .

Kind regards

Karen
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Applying for citizenship

Hi Everbody,

thanks for all your advice. I got granted citizenship a couple of weeks ago and so did my children. As it happens we were worrying about nothing as it came straight through with no questions asked. Good luck to everybody else.

Final question, what should my husband do next. Can he just turn up with me? What steps should he take before applying for a job?

We hope to be moving in May 2006!!

Thanks again,

Mystic Kazza

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.