Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Apply for work permit extension predicament.

Apply for work permit extension predicament.

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Orca33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Apply for work permit extension predicament.

Hi all - After a lot of searching and much learnt.. I’m still in need of some advice to my predicament..

I’ve just arrived in Alberta and am planning on applying for EE FSW soon as possible. I originally entered Canada to activate my IEC in May 2018 and have now just returned. When I initially arrived my passport expired 6 weeks before my 24 month allowance for the work permit, so they could only issue my IEC until April 2020.

My question is - Am I able to apply for extension of my IEC work permit so they can re-issue it to cover me for 24 months in total.. I know this is possible, however the gov website does say you can only apply to extend your work permit ONCE. Does this mean that if I apply for that extension, I won’t be able to apply for a bridging work permit when awaiting PR decision if my IEC runs out before I hear a decision? Or if I’m still in the pool at that point 😬
The confusing thing is that the form you have to fill out and send back to request extension is the same form.makes me think you might only be able to do this once for either, IEC extension due to passport expiry, OR Bridigng visa if lucky enough to get ITA by then....?

I’m getting my my IELTS and ECA results in the next few week, however right now my best guess my CRS score is 445.
With this kind of score would it be wise to apply for PNP?

As as I only have until April 2020 on my IEC, this is not enough time to get a year of canadian work experience on my cv and then apply for EE with the extra points unfortunately. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

-C
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 4:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for work permit extension predicament.

Hi

Originally Posted by ChrisBurt33
Hi all - After a lot of searching and much learnt.. I’m still in need of some advice to my predicament..

I’ve just arrived in Alberta and am planning on applying for EE FSW soon as possible. I originally entered Canada to activate my IEC in May 2018 and have now just returned. When I initially arrived my passport expired 6 weeks before my 24 month allowance for the work permit, so they could only issue my IEC until April 2020.

My question is - Am I able to apply for extension of my IEC work permit so they can re-issue it to cover me for 24 months in total.. I know this is possible, however the gov website does say you can only apply to extend your work permit ONCE. Does this mean that if I apply for that extension, I won’t be able to apply for a bridging work permit when awaiting PR decision if my IEC runs out before I hear a decision? Or if I’m still in the pool at that point 😬
The confusing thing is that the form you have to fill out and send back to request extension is the same form.makes me think you might only be able to do this once for either, IEC extension due to passport expiry, OR Bridigng visa if lucky enough to get ITA by then....?

I’m getting my my IELTS and ECA results in the next few week, however right now my best guess my CRS score is 445.
With this kind of score would it be wise to apply for PNP?

As as I only have until April 2020 on my IEC, this is not enough time to get a year of canadian work experience on my cv and then apply for EE with the extra points unfortunately. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

-C
1. Yes you can extend your IEC work permit for the 6 weeks, follow the instructions here: http://tinyurl.com/yc2cywo4
2. The IEC can't be extended after the 2 year period is what IRCC means.
3. You can only apply for a BOWP only after you apply for EE and have received an Invitation to Apply and have submitted a complete application.
4. 445 is a good score, but wouldn't have made the cut in the last draw though. It was an anomaly. as it was higher than normal as there hadn't been any draws for 3 weeks.
5. If you are able to obtain 1 year working in NOC A, B or O before your IEC expires, no one can guess.
6. Note you have to stop working when your IEC expires, there is no "implied status" for extensions.

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Orca33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apply for work permit extension predicament.

That makes sense. Thanks very much for the info!