Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Apply for Skilled Worker Visa, Academic, IEC or wait for Express Entry

Apply for Skilled Worker Visa, Academic, IEC or wait for Express Entry

Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:36 am
Just Joined

dr_rob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for Skilled Worker Visa, Academic, IEC or wait for Express Entry

Dear Expats,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I was hoping to ask you lovely bunch a questions about what my best plan of action would be to get myself into Canada.

Recently I spent time in Toronto and surrounding areas and quite simply loved it. And I am now doing my homework on how to get there, possibly permanently.

A little background, I am a single male, 30 (31 in April 2015) and work as a engineering researcher at a University in the UK. I have a PhD. I am also a Croatian / English national.

My questions... what do you think would be the simplest/quickest/cheapest way of getting myself into Canada? From what I have been reading on the wiki and on these pages...

1) Apply for the skilled worker visa (for which I believe I would qualify).
Looks like a good option, but long processing times and expensive for the language tests, certificates etc.

2) Academic entry.
I have a few friends who are in Canada as post-PhD workers at University and they entered without any problems/visas. However they could only work at the university for the duration of the contract. I am currently looking most at this option.

3) IEC.
Looks brilliant but is some time away with no guarantee of success.

4) The Express Entry system.
Details are a little thin on the ground but it looks interesting.

I really loved my time in Canada and feel strongly that I would integrate well. If I could move tomorrow I would.

Do any of you have any thoughts on what might be the best way to get myself over there?

I really, really, appreciate any help. It is all a little daunting at this stage with many apparent options to entry and indeed residency.

Thank you all,

Rob
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for Skilled Worker Visa, Academic, IEC or wait for Express Entry

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by dr_rob
1) Apply for the skilled worker visa (for which I believe I would qualify).
Looks like a good option, but long processing times and expensive for the language tests, certificates etc.
Under which NOC code would you qualify? You'd pay pretty much the same for any route to PR though, and tbh in the cost of moving to Canada those fees are a drop in the ocean!

2) Academic entry.
I have a few friends who are in Canada as post-PhD workers at University and they entered without any problems/visas. However they could only work at the university for the duration of the contract. I am currently looking most at this option.
Can you clarify which visa route you're referring to here? Do you mean an academic LMIA exempt TWP?

3) IEC.
Looks brilliant but is some time away with no guarantee of success.
The program will open sometime between Dec-Feb, so tbh is probably going to be your quickest option anyway.

4) The Express Entry system.
Details are a little thin on the ground but it looks interesting.
Predicted by most to make it much harder to qualify for.

Bottom line is that if you want to move permanently, then you should apply as a FSW now if eligible. I personally wouldn't leave it until the Express system comes in, in case you find you no longer qualify.

Cheapest and quickest option would be the IEC, but that's not going to get you there permanently, so really it depends on what is more important to you? Don't forget that if you go with 'quick and cheap' now, you'd still have to apply for PR with all the associated costs at a later date anyway if you wanted to stay.

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for Skilled Worker Visa, Academic, IEC or wait for Express Entry

Also, what country is your passport issued by? As that determines what country you need to apply under IEC for (and by extension how many places there are and when the entries open).
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the super quick reply christmasoompa!

(1) - For the NOC I think I would be able to enter under the:

213 Civil, mechanical, electrical and chemical engineers
-2132 Mechanical engineers

or

214 Other engineers
-2146 Aerospace engineers

(2) - From having spoken to some friends who work as researchers in Ontario, they are not considered staff and are deemed students. As such, they arrived at the airport with contract in hand and explained that they were students. I think the reason for this is that "post-doctoral" is not recognised in Canada as a job and they defaulted to being a student. But this approach sounds somewhat 'how is the immigration officer feeling' to me!

Thank you for the advice on the best entry method. I would like to go today, but I guess I need to think a little more longer term! Perhaps going to residency is a better way in. I think my problem is that I rather severely underestimated the complexity of moving and indeed the time frame.

From the sound of things I should look into starting my skilled worker application.

Thanks again,

Oh and bc2015, thanks for the good point. I have two passports, one UK and one Croatian. Having had a look at the IEC for Croatia I'm not eligible for the available places as I do not have a agreed work contract. The other option is the working holiday one, but it's on as a "waiting list" which has not been updated in over a year. So I'm guessing it's a no go.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

The IEC re-opens once a year, usually around December but yes the permits are taken up pretty quickly once it opens.

However, it is by far the quickest permit to obtain as processing time is typically under 2 months (a lot of the time it's faster than that).
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:15 am
Just Joined

This is very good to know!

Would there be anything stopping me from applying for a IEC while also having an application in process for the Skilled Worker Visa?

I guess if I am spending the money anyway, another $155 won't kill me.

Originally Posted by bc2015
The IEC re-opens once a year, usually around December but yes the permits are taken up pretty quickly once it opens.

However, it is by far the quickest permit to obtain as processing time is typically under 2 months (a lot of the time it's faster than that).
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

(1) - For the NOC I think I would be able to enter under the:

213 Civil, mechanical, electrical and chemical engineers
-2132 Mechanical engineers

or

214 Other engineers
-2146 Aerospace engineers
2146 isn't on the eligible occupation list?

2132 is though, but just FYI, the reason I asked is that 2132 is one of the most popular NOC's, and may well be nearly full, so don't delay. If you definitely meet the criteria of that NOC, can prove you do the duties listed under it (and there isn't another one which better fits your duties), and have enough points etc, then I'd get cracking with an application asap personally.

(2) - From having spoken to some friends who work as researchers in Ontario, they are not considered staff and are deemed students. As such, they arrived at the airport with contract in hand and explained that they were students. I think the reason for this is that "post-doctoral" is not recognised in Canada as a job and they defaulted to being a student. But this approach sounds somewhat 'how is the immigration officer feeling' to me!
Even if they're classed as students they'd need a study permit though, so that all sounds a bit odd tbh! I assumed they were on LMIA exempt TWP's?

The other option is the working holiday one, but it's on as a "waiting list" which has not been updated in over a year. So I'm guessing it's a no go.
WHV = IEC. They're the same thing.

HTH.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:44 am
Just Joined

You were right, I was looking at an old list.

I think I would be better of going for 4012 - Post-secondary teaching and research assistants.

If anything it's probably much more suitable for me.

Do you mind telling me where you were looking for the numbers which had applied? I did see it the other day but can't find it for the life of me.

Thanks again, this is all information gold!

Rob

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
2146 isn't on the eligible occupation list?

2132 is though, but just FYI, the reason I asked is that 2132 is one of the most popular NOC's, and may well be nearly full, so don't delay. If you definitely meet the criteria of that NOC, can prove you do the duties listed under it (and there isn't another one which better fits your duties), and have enough points etc, then I'd get cracking with an application asap personally.

Even if they're classed as students they'd need a study permit though, so that all sounds a bit odd tbh! I assumed they were on LMIA exempt TWP's?

WHV = IEC. They're the same thing.

HTH.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Looks like I spoke too soon.

I don't look to be on '"The List" (if the one on the wiki is up-to date), if I apply as a 4012 - Post-secondary teaching and research assistants.

My other option would be to apply as a 2132 - Mechanical Engineer, but this might be a little more difficult to justify.

I feel like I fit more into the 4012 but have the requirements/skills for 2132.

It's hard not to feel a little :-( after realising how much time it may take.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I think I would be better of going for 4012 - Post-secondary teaching and research assistants.
?? 4012 isn't on 'the list' of eligible occupations either, I'm not sure what list you're looking at, but it's certainly not the current one! Applications we will accept – Federal skilled workers

You can see the numbers on the link above, but I really wouldn't rely on them as they're notoriously out of date. It gives you an idea of which are the more popular NOC's though.

HTH.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Looks like I spoke too soon.

I don't look to be on '"The List" (if the one on the wiki is up-to date), if I apply as a 4012 - Post-secondary teaching and research assistants.

My other option would be to apply as a 2132 - Mechanical Engineer, but this might be a little more difficult to justify.

I feel like I fit more into the 4012 but have the requirements/skills for 2132.

It's hard not to feel a little :-( after realising how much time it may take.
Sorry, we cross posted. Yes, it will take time and won't be easy, that's for sure, but if you think it's worth it then go for it! An IEC would be a good option if you don't qualify for FSW (you'd need to really fit the criteria and duties of 2132 to be considered under it), it would at least get you over there for a year and then hopefully you can try and stay permanently if you impress the hell out of your employer and make a good case for them to sponsor you.

Best of luck.