Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Apply for immigration before marriage

Apply for immigration before marriage

Old Nov 11th 2022, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

liammc.hugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for immigration before marriage

Hi everyone
i am looking for any advice on a few things. Me and my partner are looking to apply to immigrate to Canada. We current have our wedding booked at home in Scotland in may 2024. Ideally we would like to start getting the ball rolling before then but wondering if we are able to apply as a couple before marriage or do we need to wait until we are married to do so? I am a qualified plumber and my partner has degree in philosophy so I imagine we would be In good position to apply. We are hoping to move ASAP after our wedding.

any replied are massively appreciated
thanks
Old Nov 12th 2022, 7:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for immigration before marriage

Hi, welcome to BE.

Whether you can apply before marriage or not will depend on what you can by 'partner'. A personal question I know, but do you live together and have you done so for a year or more as man and wife? If so, then you could both go on one application as common-law spouses rather than waiting until married. If not, then you'd both need to qualify for a visa in your own right (note that your occupation and your partner's degree won't mean you automatically qualify for visas unfortunately!).

If you are eligible now, then I'd get an application in asap as the whole EE system is changing next year and if you are eligible now (double check your CRS score etc to see if you are) then I'd recommend you apply just in case you no longer are once the changes are brought in.

HTH, good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 11:53 am
Just Joined

liammc.hugh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Whether you can apply before marriage or not will depend on what you can by 'partner'. A personal question I know, but do you live together and have you done so for a year or more as man and wife? If so, then you could both go on one application as common-law spouses rather than waiting until married. If not, then you'd both need to qualify for a visa in your own right (note that your occupation and your partner's degree won't mean you automatically qualify for visas unfortunately!).

If you are eligible now, then I'd get an application in asap as the whole EE system is changing next year and if you are eligible now (double check your CRS score etc to see if you are) then I'd recommend you apply just in case you no longer are once the changes are brought in.

HTH, good luck.

thank you for the reply much appreciated. This is something we will now look into. If you are accepted for a visa how long does that stay open for?
I have family that are citizens does that go in my favour? And if so does that effect my partner applying with me if not married
Old Nov 12th 2022, 2:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liammc.hugh
thank you for the reply much appreciated. This is something we will now look into. If you are accepted for a visa how long does that stay open for?
I have family that are citizens does that go in my favour? And if so does that effect my partner applying with me if not married
Family members are unlikely to make any difference but it depends - what relation are they to you, and which province are they in?

If you get PR, then you have a year from the date of your medical to 'land' and activate it, once that's done you have to spend 2 years out of every 5 to maintain your PR status, so you'd have 3-4 years before you had to move.

Not sure what you mean about your partner applying with you if not married, as above s/he can only go on your application (or vice versa, check to see who would be eligible, it may be him/her rather than you) if you're either married or common-law spouses (have lived together for a year or more).

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 12th 2022 at 2:45 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2022, 7:21 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liammc.hugh
Hi everyone
i am looking for any advice on a few things. Me and my partner are looking to apply to immigrate to Canada. We current have our wedding booked at home in Scotland in may 2024. Ideally we would like to start getting the ball rolling before then but wondering if we are able to apply as a couple before marriage or do we need to wait until we are married to do so? I am a qualified plumber and my partner has degree in philosophy so I imagine we would be In good position to apply. We are hoping to move ASAP after our wedding.

any replied are massively appreciated
thanks
These questions invariably come down to the same elephant in the room consideration: are you or your partner eligible for a visa in the first place? If the answer to this question is "no" then the rest unfortunately becomes rather academic. As Christmas asked, what are your respective CRS scores? If one or both are at the required level, the rest of the equation becomes so much more "do-able"