Applications when unemployed?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 4:40 am
Just Joined

GalacticDan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applications when unemployed?

Hi,

I have had a PR application since Nov-07, I'm told assessed using the old system of points only.

I've been looking through the documentation and have seen something along the lines of employed so many years out of the last 5. In todays economy jobs are tight, people are talking of redundancies since the company share price has near bottom'ed. I also have been thinking about jumping ship since recent management changes.

1). What affect will this have on my application if for example I am not working when they finally ask for paperwork.

2). If I do leave or get made redundant - What paperwork should I ask my immediate manager to fill in, that may help my case?

Thanks,

DC
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:08 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applications when unemployed?

If you mean just resigning with no other job arranged then why would you do that? The visa officer would be suspicious of such an uneconomic move. If instead you meant looking for and getting another job and then resigning your present one then that is fine I am sure.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

Surely all that matters is that you have enough points? If you have at least 67 points, then why would your current employment status make any difference at all? Does the issuing officer really have the ability to reject an application on the grounds that the applicant has taken redundancy or is otherwise out of work?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:05 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

No one was talking about taking a redundancy offer which explains itself. Just resigning would probably lead to some investigation of the cause of the separation and also the security of finances since it is anti-economic behaviour.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:24 am
Just Joined

GalacticDan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jim,

In my case, I don't need the job to live however a contract has come up which is 4months with possible continued work. Waiting to see if I'm up for redundancy, the contact will likely be filled given there are a lot of other people out there looking for work.

If I stay, I could still be in employment when the paperwork is requested, assuming I don't get jacked but the 2.5hr(round trip) drive to work presently is a killer where as the local contract is by bike, however I may well be out of work when the paperwork is required, assuming I can't get another quickly.

So assuming, finances ok, employment history available with references, but unemployed at time of assessment, will this affect my PR?

DC
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GalacticDan
Hi Jim,

In my case, I don't need the job to live however a contract has come up which is 4months with possible continued work. Waiting to see if I'm up for redundancy, the contact will likely be filled given there are a lot of other people out there looking for work.

If I stay, I could still be in employment when the paperwork is requested, assuming I don't get jacked but the 2.5hr(round trip) drive to work presently is a killer where as the local contract is by bike, however I may well be out of work when the paperwork is required, assuming I can't get another quickly.

So assuming, finances ok, employment history available with references, but unemployed at time of assessment, will this affect my PR?

DC
I believe this would show adaptability rather than throw a spanner in the works but that's my opinion.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GalacticDan
Hi,

I have had a PR application since Nov-07, I'm told assessed using the old system of points only.

I've been looking through the documentation and have seen something along the lines of employed so many years out of the last 5. In todays economy jobs are tight, people are talking of redundancies since the company share price has near bottom'ed. I also have been thinking about jumping ship since recent management changes.

1). What affect will this have on my application if for example I am not working when they finally ask for paperwork.

2). If I do leave or get made redundant - What paperwork should I ask my immediate manager to fill in, that may help my case?

Thanks,

DC
Just my opinion, but I think they may look on this badly unless you could explain it away (taking time off work to do a course or look after kids etc). Being unemployed shouldn't impact your points, but since the new rules came in there is no obligation for CHC to approve PR even if a candidate has plenty of points. I think a truly unemployed candidate (ie. not a student or homemaker) might not look that attractive, given the current unemployment rate in Canada.

Only my opinion though.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

I really, really don't understand this. Does the assessing officer really have the discretion to refuse an applicant despite the fact they meet the points score and applied under the old system (as the original poster stated)? How can they "look upon it badly"? If the facts show that the applicant is entitled to the points that they are claiming for, then what more is required (well, apart from the usual police checks, proof of funds etc)?

If they can decline an application because the assessor doesn't agree with an applicant's career choice (whether that includes deciding to be unemployed or not) then where does it end? Can they reject someone because they didn't like the university you went to or the town you lived in? Or the look of your photo? This seems to fly in the face of having points-based assessment.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KS2008
I really, really don't understand this. Does the assessing officer really have the discretion to refuse an applicant despite the fact they meet the points score and applied under the old system (as the original poster stated)? How can they "look upon it badly"? If the facts show that the applicant is entitled to the points that they are claiming for, then what more is required (well, apart from the usual police checks, proof of funds etc)?

If they can decline an application because the assessor doesn't agree with an applicant's career choice (whether that includes deciding to be unemployed or not) then where does it end? Can they reject someone because they didn't like the university you went to or the town you lived in? Or the look of your photo? This seems to fly in the face of having points-based assessment.
In truth, I didn't realise that the OP had applied under the old system and, I understand, approval was automatic if the points were met.

For applications since February 2008, I guess all the points you raise could be used to decline an application, although I would hope that CHC would use a more objective basis than simply having a bad photo. I was simply saying that in a time of economic uncertainty, being unemployed may not be looked on favourably. I may be wrong in this. Who knows?

Fingers crossed our photos are okay!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:51 am

It is not a simple case of add up the points. They are very important but other factors may overcome them. The thing is here that it would lead to a closer examination on several fronts including attachment to the labor market.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:50 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If you mean just resigning with no other job arranged then why would you do that? The visa officer would be suspicious of such an uneconomic move. If instead you meant looking for and getting another job and then resigning your present one then that is fine I am sure.
I have just finished work without a new job to go to! I was on 3 months notice and wanted to move on after 5 1/2 years in the same company. I figured it would be very hard to find a new job on 3 months notice so had to bite the bullet. Bad timing but we decided during my final week that we wanted to move to Canada so started the process then. I have not yet been out of work 2 months and have some potential interviews lined up (including working for a Canadian company, but for a pittance!) Would it seem odd that I changed jobs during my application, or could not find work since my resignation?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oicur0t
I have just finished work without a new job to go to! I was on 3 months notice and wanted to move on after 5 1/2 years in the same company. I figured it would be very hard to find a new job on 3 months notice so had to bite the bullet. Bad timing but we decided during my final week that we wanted to move to Canada so started the process then. I have not yet been out of work 2 months and have some potential interviews lined up (including working for a Canadian company, but for a pittance!) Would it seem odd that I changed jobs during my application, or could not find work since my resignation?
I'm sure you'll be fine. The application process can take up to 12 months, and then you have another 12 months to land, and maybe another 2-3 years before you move to Canada permanently. Lots of people will change job during this period. Keep looking for new jobs and good luck. I think this thread makes things look much, much bleaker than they actually are.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:08 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
I'm sure you'll be fine. The application process can take up to 12 months, and then you have another 12 months to land, and maybe another 2-3 years before you move to Canada permanently. Lots of people will change job during this period. Keep looking for new jobs and good luck. I think this thread makes things look much, much bleaker than they actually are.
I don't regret my decision even if it makes my application harder. It's just good to gauge everything, so I might add information to my application to cover all the bases. I am working on an exquisitely worded cover letter! At least it will parade my English skills, if nothing else
Old May 4th 2009, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

gypsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
It is not a simple case of add up the points. They are very important but other factors may overcome them. The thing is here that it would lead to a closer examination on several fronts including attachment to the labor market.
We applied in Nov 2007 with me as the principal applicant. I have been a housewife since Oct 2005 to care for my children and am so worried this is going to affect our application. Is there anyone out there in my situation or do you know of anyone who has made it (or not) in this position?

Do you think the officer will be most interested in my work experience prior to applying or my current unemployment status.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.