Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

application for travel document help

application for travel document help

Old May 29th 2008, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

BaNdy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question application for travel document help

Hi,

I have now completed an application for travel document (permanent resident abroad) MM5524.

From the cic website in pdf format, printed it all out and enclosed a seperate sheet for question 18 regarding the circumstances as to why I should retain my PR on compassionate and humanitarian grounds.

I have a few questions though if someone would be so kind to assist me.

Am I the only person required to fill out such a form? my husband and family are not canadian and have never been so - I imagine the travel document required is just for me correct? I have read so much over the last few days with so many things going on my brain is about to fizzle!

In making payment at my local visa office, the canadian high commision in london (100 miles away) how the heck do I pay? and how much is it, the website sends you round and round the garden from one site to another, And Is so confusing am still not sure even now.

The final thing is this, my passport is currently being renewed, can I still submit this with a covering letter suggesting passport is to follow, in order that the process is given a jump start? or do I have to wait until the passport is in my hands and submit it will the application travel document and my "Imm-1000" that my parents kindly found for me, although no longer valid.

I cant believe had I gone to Canada using it prior to 2003 we would be where we wanted to be, Like I said I have argued my case and hope something will come of it.

Andrew Miller, I understand you have dealt with this sort of thing before, may I submit the plea I have made arguing my circumstances to you, is my case really a non starter - would you be able advice/guide my letter into making the right kind of argument at all - as I would appreciate a professional opinion on the matter?

Thanks

Andrea

Last edited by BaNdy; May 29th 2008 at 8:01 pm.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:08 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: application for travel document help

You submit it to CHC London - fee payment instruction is here:

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/fees/e_fees.htm

I hate bringing more realistic perspective here, but IMHO you have zero chance for keeping PR status on H&C grounds.

Person who has a center of life in Canada, his/her only residence and family are in Canada, but who for work/business related reasons travels a lot (always returning home to Canada from trips) may have a small chance for H&C consideration.

You probably use in your defense the argument that you were minor (unable to make decision for yourself) when parents removed you from Canada. But officer will seek answer to the question - what have you done to retain your PR status since you became an adult? A lot of years passed since, you are married and have children - you've done nothing for those years to even try to retain your PR status, you didn't try to move back to Canada.

I've seen miracles happen (especially in CHC London), but don't hold your breath.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You submit it to CHC London - fee payment instruction is here:

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/fees/e_fees.htm

I hate bringing more realistic perspective here, but IMHO you have zero chance for keeping PR status on H&C grounds.

Person who has a center of life in Canada, his/her only residence and family are in Canada, but who for work/business related reasons travels a lot (always returning home to Canada from trips) may have a small chance for H&C consideration.

You probably use in your defense the argument that you were minor (unable to make decision for yourself) when parents removed you from Canada. But officer will seek answer to the question - what have you done to retain your PR status since you became an adult? A lot of years passed since, you are married and have children - you've done nothing for those years to even try to retain your PR status, you didn't try to move back to Canada.

I've seen miracles happen (especially in CHC London), but don't hold your breath.
Just to add to Andrew's comments the Federal Court ruled in favour of one applicant who had returned home with his parents when he was 12 and attempted to return when he was 21. The court agreed that he had returned to Canada at the first opportunity and should retain his PR status.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Just to add to Andrew's comments the Federal Court ruled in favour of one applicant who had returned home with his parents when he was 12 and attempted to return when he was 21. The court agreed that he had returned to Canada at the first opportunity and should retain his PR status.
Was this under the pre-2002 law or the current law?
Old May 30th 2008, 3:24 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
Was this under the pre-2002 law or the current law?
Pre 2002, but it set a precedent.
Old May 30th 2008, 6:57 am
Just Joined

BaNdy is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guyz,

I do understand its a long shot!

In my position you would try also, and I have to go throught this procedure to clear it up regardless.

so is it a waste of time submitting it without my passport?

Thanks again.
Old May 30th 2008, 7:27 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to go through the process no matter what, thus time is not wasted.