British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   application as a spouse seems to be moving too quickly? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/application-spouse-seems-moving-too-quickly-941680/)

jamesy2 Nov 22nd 2021 12:29 pm

application as a spouse seems to be moving too quickly?

Hi All,

My partner is Canadian and we currently live in the UK, we submitted our application for a partner/spouse sponsorship and it was marked as 'received' on July 13th 2021, i did my Biometrics in London in October and i was invited to pre-arrival services on October 26th, my medical was completed/passed on the 13th Nov and today i have had my letter saying my application for permanent residence is almost complete and to submit a few more documents to vfs global to be issued with my COPR. From everything i have received, it seems things should be wrapped up by next month but everything i had read online and on this forum seems to suggest we would have at least a year to wait or maybe more? Have we just got lucky or is there some other step that is going to take a while? It seems we need to get planning earlier that we had thought but just want to check if there might be some delay to expect ?

christmasoompa Nov 22nd 2021 1:03 pm

Re: application as a spouse seems to be moving too quickly?

Hi, welcome to BE.

You've still got background checks etc to go yet, which can take months, but it does sound as though it's been processed quicker than usual.

Good luck with the rest of it.

jamesy2 Nov 22nd 2021 1:15 pm

Hey

Thanks for the reply! the wording on the letters from Canada is odd considering that in theory i could still be rejected. e.g the last letter starts with this...

"The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete and IRCC is ready to issue the documents you need to travel to Canada and become a Permanent Resident'. You must complete the steps below within 30 days in order to be issued your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and if applicable, you permanent residence visa."

The wording seems very, things are imminent and i have been approved, but as you say, background checks could take months possibly, not that i am complaining!

christmasoompa Nov 22nd 2021 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jamesy2 (Post 13074579)
Thanks for the reply! the wording on the letters from Canada is odd considering that in theory i could still be rejected. e.g the last letter starts with this...

You need to break it down and translate it in to 'government speak'………..

The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete

Processing is almost complete, but the result of processing can be a rejection or approval.

and IRCC is ready to issue the documents you need to travel to Canada and become a Permanent Resident

We might be ready but if you're not approved then we won't issue them.

You must complete the steps below within 30 days in order to be issued your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and if applicable, you permanent residence visa."

You must do what we say, but we still don't say for sure that you will be issued COPR.

:lol:

It's all sounding promising, and as (presumably) a UK citizen with a straightforward background, there's no reason for rejection or for it to take another year at this stage. But you can never say for sure with IRCC!

glendem4 Dec 9th 2021 3:53 pm

Back in 2018 I submitted my documents for spousal PR in April and was approved in July. It can happen that quickly if you have everything in place.