Application on hold

Old May 22nd 2005, 9:26 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Application on hold

my mother in law has recently been diagonesed with breast cancer.. and has just had surgery and is about to begin radio and kemotheropy.

Prior to this we were looking forward to moving to canada with our children etc..but now for obvious reasons my wife now does not want to go.

we have already applied to the CHC in london and received our AOR in January.
Here lies my problem....
we are desperatly hoping that my mother in law makes a full recovery..but that could be 2years at least until she is in full remission.

It is possible that then my wife may wish to proceed with going to canada...however if we are successful we will receive our visas 6 months to a year before that.

so my question is...as the principal applicant i must land in canada within a set time limit of visa issue, but im not sure how long i must stay?....and how long can i stay out of canada on a continuos basis before my visa becomes invalid??
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:24 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application on hold

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
my mother in law has recently been diagonesed with breast cancer.. and has just had surgery and is about to begin radio and kemotheropy.

Prior to this we were looking forward to moving to canada with our children etc..but now for obvious reasons my wife now does not want to go.

Here lies my problem....
we are desperatly hoping that my mother in law makes a full recovery..but that could be 2years at least until she is in full remission.

It is possible that then my wife may wish to proceed with going to canada...however if we are successful we will receive our visas 6 months to a year before that.

so my question is...as the principal applicant i must land in canada within a set time limit of visa issue, but im not sure how long i must stay?....and how long can i stay out of canada on a continuos basis before my visa becomes invalid??

If you wish to continue your application and receive your PR visas then you would be expected to land within their validity. To keep your PR status you would need to spend at least 2 of the next 5 years in Canada.
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If you wish to continue your application and receive your PR visas then you would be expected to land within their validity. To keep your PR status you would need to spend at least 2 of the next 5 years in Canada.
Given current processing times in CIC London, it's likely to be close to 2 years before you get your PR visa anyway.

Jeremy
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:16 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Given current processing times in CIC London, it's likely to be close to 2 years before you get your PR visa anyway.

Jeremy
Yep agreed, it's only about £500 up front costs and this gets you in the system...hopefully all will work out well in between and you have lost no time. You can leave the file to process and not be too distracted by the perils and wonders of emigrating, whilst you concentrate on more pressing domestic matters ?

Good luck & hope all works out well,

Rich.
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:28 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

It must be a very difficult time for you and your wife, but time is on your side andyo do not have to make any firm decisions for sometime yet. But if you have AOR Jan 05 it is possible January 07 before you hear for medicals even, or if you get them earlier, you will have one year from date of medical to land. Then you could both go over for a few days, or a week or two, to officially land and return to UK. Then you can stay out of Canada for 2 years, before deciding if it is to be permanent. Then you must stay there for 3 years solid, or risk losing PR.
So you have really got quite a long time before you had to make any decision, unless you are one of the small number that get medical requests early. realistcally you have about 4 years before you could go.

So much could happen in that time, but at least you do have that time. I would leave the application in the system, and re-assess the situation at a later date when you know.

One of my favourite quotes is "Live today, as tomorrow is promised to no one"
Enjoy the time with your family now, support your wife, and mother in law, when they need you , having your children around will help your mother in law a great deal.

My mother in law had breast cancer, was treated recovered and lived a fully active life for a great number of years before finally passing away in mid 70's.
I wish you all well.

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey

Here lies my problem....