Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Application for Canadian Citizenship

Application for Canadian Citizenship

Old May 21st 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Anne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant future
Default Application for Canadian Citizenship

I was just hoping if anyone has received a "Notice To Appear - Hearing with a Citizenship Judge" letter?

I have lived in Canada for 5 years, born and bred in the UK. I had assumed when I applied for my Citizenship I would automatically receive an invitation to sit an exam. That was the case with my husband.

Instead I have told that The Citizenship Judge needs more information to make a decision about my citizenship application and hence I must appear for a hearing.

Has anyone else received such a letter?

Any feedback much appreciate as I am quite worried that there may be a problem with my application.

Anne
Old May 21st 2008, 11:48 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Application for Canadian Citizenship

Hearing with judge indicates problems - either it is a problem with eligibility to apply due to prohibition or due to absences from Canada or there may be some problem with your PR status.
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Anne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant future

Interesting .. I cannot imagine where the problem is.

If anyone has any experience with receiving this letter I would be very interested to hear details from you.
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:12 am

Other's problems may not be of any help with your problem. If you want some help then instead of looking into experience of others (irrelevant to yours) you should simply provide details of your case here:

- when did you become a PR (exact date please)

- how long you lived legally in Canada prior to becoming a PR

- when did you apply for citizenship (exact date please)

- how many days you resided in Canada between landing as PR and applying for citizenship

If your answers above won't provide any clue about the problem then you will need more serious help as it may be related to prohibitions or problems with your PR status (how it was obtained and maintained)
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne

If anyone has any experience with receiving this letter I would be very interested to hear details from you.
As Andrew says it's not normal. CIC most likely think something is wrong in terms of your background, PR status or absences from Canada. You can see this in section 3.10 of Chapter 2:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/cp/index.asp

Of course, it's quite possible they just have made a mistake.

If you know that everything is above board, bring all the documentation they request to the interview and more if necessary.

Otherwise you might want to consider professional advice immediately.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

I'm a bit confused...didn't you say in a past post that you were already a Canadain Citizen?
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:04 am

Are you in Canada? Your location indicator says 'England'....
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your comments.

Nope, I'm not a canadian citizen. If I made any reference to being one it was probably on behalf of my husband who took his oath in January 2007.

I submitted my Citizenship application on June 13, 2007, received confirmation of receipt and the Citizenship booklet on July 30, 2007 and received my Notice to Appear on May 16, 2008.

When I applied i had a total of 1097 physical presence days in Canada. I guess it is so close to the 1095 requirement that is probably why I've been asked to interview.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Yes I live in Canada, been here for 5 years.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

I should have added I came to Canada legally on June 24, 2003 and stayed here legally with work permit until I received PR status on January 27, 2005.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

The CIC website says:

"To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children do not need to meet this requirement.

You may be able to count time you spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident if that time falls within the four-year period."

As you had only been a PR for 29 months when you applied for citizenship perhaps the problem is whether you can count time in Canada before becoming a PR? It seems it could just be a minor problem that will be sorted at your interview.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi Fushiagirl - I completed the Residence Calculator honestly and accurately. My number of physical presence days equated to 1097.

I'm not going to worry. I would like to thank you, Andrew Miller and JAJ for your feedback, it is most appreciated and found this site so helpful. I will let you know what happens in case anyone else in the foum encounters something similar.

Wish me luck
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fushiagirl - I completed the Residence Calculator honestly and accurately. My number of physical presence days equated to 1097.

I'm not going to worry. I would like to thank you, Andrew Miller and JAJ for your feedback, it is most appreciated and found this site so helpful. I will let you know what happens in case anyone else in the foum encounters something similar.

Wish me luck
I'm sure you will be fine - I was only trying to suggest a possible reason why you have been called for interview

Best of luck

Jo
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The fact you are only 2 days over the residence requirement may be the reason you are being interviewed (especially as people can make mistakes, so CIC can't be sure that it wasn't 1085 days or something).
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JAJ, and the link you sent me was also very useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.