Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

AOR from London Jan & Feb 2010 - Progress updates

AOR from London Jan & Feb 2010 - Progress updates

Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:18 am
Permanent Residents

Mac2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AOR from London Jan & Feb 2010 - Progress updates

Originally Posted by oceaneoneill
Hi STC,

Our 'landing' last March was a wee nightmare as there was a HUGE queue ahead of us - so a 4 hour wait with two demented 3 year olds!
But I'm told this is NOT usual. When we got to the front the official was calm & v laid back. No mentions of proof of funds - although we had our statements. All went well...
We were returning to sell our house so they told us to give in our Goods To Follow list when we landed permanently & our goods were being shipped... So in June we gave in the list & it was extremely smooth - lots of lovely Welcome To Canada greetings & Congratulations... The only thing we were asked was whether we were shipping any mattresses (we weren't) as they are prohibited...

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll be fine
Hi,

As far as I am aware, you are allowed to bring in second hand mattresses as a new immigrant and they do not need fumigation
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Mattress_Fumigation

Mac2
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

StopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant future

Hey man!

Thanks so much. I guess I'm just nervous as I've wanted this for so long and now I'm in a dream like state that this is actually happening.

Thanks for the calming words!

Much appreciated!! Thank you

Originally Posted by oceaneoneill
Hi STC,

Our 'landing' last March was a wee nightmare as there was a HUGE queue ahead of us - so a 4 hour wait with two demented 3 year olds!
But I'm told this is NOT usual. When we got to the front the official was calm & v laid back. No mentions of proof of funds - although we had our statements. All went well...
We were returning to sell our house so they told us to give in our Goods To Follow list when we landed permanently & our goods were being shipped... So in June we gave in the list & it was extremely smooth - lots of lovely Welcome To Canada greetings & Congratulations... The only thing we were asked was whether we were shipping any mattresses (we weren't) as they are prohibited...

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll be fine
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by StopTheClocks
Hey man!

Thanks so much. I guess I'm just nervous as I've wanted this for so long and now I'm in a dream like state that this is actually happening.

Thanks for the calming words!

Much appreciated!! Thank you
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Glad it's finally happening for you bud. We've been in Calgary since June last year and loving every day !!!!

Go for it!

Gav.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

STC - glad it's finally happened for you, been a LONG time.

Other Jan & Feb'ers, glad you're settling well and enjoying Canada!!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

StopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stokesey
STC - glad it's finally happened for you, been a LONG time.

Other Jan & Feb'ers, glad you're settling well and enjoying Canada!!

Hey man!

Thanks so much..

I landed and everything went fine!

For anyone interested, the following was my experience:

Basically had to join a different immigration queue, wait for about an hour (there were a lot of people in front of me) then had a few questions at the
desk about how much I was bringing or going to transfer in the future to my account here (no proof needed), which goods were to follow (they wanted a list with approx value of items listed next to it also) and then asked where I was staying, what the address was and that was it really..

They gave me a bit more information on how to get myself set up with a SIN number (like NI no.) and setting up a bank account etc but it was very smooth!

Thanks for all the previous advice amigos.

I'm now in sunny but cold Calgary and looking forward to being back in Vancouver in a few days!

Drop us a message if anyone wants to connect. I'd love to buy some of you guys a beer or 5.