Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

AOR from London Jan & Feb 2010 - Progress updates

AOR from London Jan & Feb 2010 - Progress updates

Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

StopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant future
Default Re: AOR from London Jan & Feb 2010 - Progress updates

Originally Posted by G77
He's the resident accountant, but I don't think he hangs around in the Immigration section (not normal to see tax issues in here), so I sent him the thread for his comment....

IIRC someone on here before was told misleading information about claiming moving expenses to Canada from the UK (I believe there is some provision for within Canada, but not from UK to Canada).
I would seek professional advice when you get there I guess but im keeping everything... just in case
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:26 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StopTheClocks
I would seek professional advice when you get there I guess but im keeping everything... just in case
I'm already here, he is a professional
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Michael-B is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. I received my AOR on Feb 22nd, but when I use the above link and select ID type "immigration file number" I get a page saying that the system isn't able to identify me.

Could this be because insufficient time has elapsed? Or because I select the wrong type of ID? I'm entering my 'B' number against this
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

rump33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael-B
Thanks for that. I received my AOR on Feb 22nd, but when I use the above link and select ID type "immigration file number" I get a page saying that the system isn't able to identify me.

Could this be because insufficient time has elapsed? Or because I select the wrong type of ID? I'm entering my 'B' number against this
Hi Michael-B,
I had the same problem for a few weeks. I was entering UK rather than England as my country. Just a thought.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Tax stuff

Just spoke to my accountant in Canada (im finishing my 09 return) and just in case you havent been doing it, keep all receipts safe for medicals, fees for visas, moving costs etc as these can be deducted on your tax return if you land in 2010

Cheers

STC
Thanks to G77 for pointing me to this thread.

Note that you can only claim moving expenses if you are a deemed or factual tax resident of Canada before and after the move.

This is the definition in the Income Tax Act subsection 248 (1)

“eligible relocation” means a relocation of a taxpayer where
(a) the relocation occurs to enable the taxpayer

(i) to carry on a business or to be employed at a location in Canada (in section 62 and this subsection referred to as “the new work location”), or

(ii) to be a student in full-time attendance enrolled in a program at a post-secondary level at a location of a university, college or other educational institution (in section 62 and in this subsection referred to as “the new work location”),
(b) both the residence at which the taxpayer ordinarily resided before the relocation (in section 62 and this subsection referred to as “the old residence”) and the residence at which the taxpayer ordinarily resided after the relocation (in section 62 and this subsection referred to as “the new residence”) are in Canada, and
(c) the distance between the old residence and the new work location is not less than 40 kilometres greater than the distance between the new residence and the new work location

except that, in applying subsections 6(19) to (23) and section 62 in respect of a relocation of a taxpayer who is absent from but resident in Canada, this definition shall be read without reference to the words “in Canada” in subparagraph (a)(i), and without reference to paragraph (b);

I note that STC was on a BUNAC in Canada in 2009 so (s)he would be taxed as a resident while (s)he was here. However, to qualify to deduct his/her moving expenses (s)he would have had to maintain his/her tax residency status in Canada between leaving at the end of his/her visa and reentering in 2010. Not impossible, but unlikely.

The moving expense deduction is not intended for immigrants or emigrants.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:42 pm

gjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Just to pitch in, here's our progress so far:

FSW application to NS: 2.7.09
120 day letter received: 1.9.09
Full application sent to London: 1.12.09
AOR: 17.1.10
ECAS (never thought it would change but it does!): as of 13.4.10, showing "in process"

Anybody have any ideas how long from this stage, we have a holiday booked in Toronto during August, would be great to use as landing (a long shot I know!)

Thanks for all the posts, it's been a great help all the way through this.

Good luck everyone!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Originally Posted by gjack
Hi All

Just to pitch in, here's our progress so far:

FSW application to NS: 2.7.09
120 day letter received: 1.9.09
Full application sent to London: 1.12.09
AOR: 17.1.10
ECAS (never thought it would change but it does!): as of 13.4.10, showing "in process"

Anybody have any ideas how long from this stage, we have a holiday booked in Toronto during August, would be great to use as landing (a long shot I know!)

Thanks for all the posts, it's been a great help all the way through this.

Good luck everyone!
Excellent, at least we know we're well into the Jan AOR's now, hopefully more to follow soon. Will be interesting to see how long the rest of the process takes as there still appears to be big delays after taking meds.

Good luck all.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Originally Posted by stokesey
Hi All - I know there are a handful of us that have received AOR from London in January or February 2010, I think we're all waiting for status to change from 'Received by Visa Office' and no doubt checking ECAS on a daily basis!

This thread is to track our progress, I'll start with my timeline:

FSW1 (NOC 0111) CIO app sent to CIO 01/10/09
Received Nova Scotia 07/10/09
120 day letter received 23/12/09
Full app sent to London 20/01/10
AOR received (and new file number) 29/01/10

I know there's the other 'CIO' thread started by Martin but I think has got a bit busy and it's difficult to keep track of the useful posts.

Can we please try to keep on topic and only update with relevant information.

Thanks and good luck.

Stuart.
See my sig. for dates

Starting to get frustrated!!!!

Gav.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glam
See my sig. for dates

Starting to get frustrated!!!!

Gav.
My guess would be you'll go 'In Process' in the next week or 2, there's evidence their now processing Jan AOR so it can't be much longer?

Last edited by stokesey; Apr 18th 2010 at 3:17 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

StopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant futureStopTheClocks has a brilliant future

My guess would be you'll go 'In Process' in the next week or 2, there's evidence their now processing Jan AOR so it can't be much longer?
I hope youre right mate.. I too am getting frustrated...

Do any of you guys live in London? where will u get medical checks done as I guess that will hopefully be the next step..

Old Apr 18th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

I hope youre right mate.. I too am getting frustrated...

Do any of you guys live in London? where will u get medical checks done as I guess that will hopefully be the next step..

We used these http://www.visamedicals.info/

They are based in Knightsbridge just up the road from Harrods. Our Doctor was very clued up on the process and they were very efficient in completing and then sending off the results.

Tim
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

I hope so. We're just back from Calgary....been there for 3 weeks and want back already!!

Gav.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tim010
We used these http://www.visamedicals.info/

They are based in Knightsbridge just up the road from Harrods. Our Doctor was very clued up on the process and they were very efficient in completing and then sending off the results.

Tim
Thanks Tim.. when are you landing and where?

Congrats
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Thanks Tim.. when are you landing and where?

Congrats
Gonna be landing in Edmonton probably around Sept/Oct time. I am just waiting on confirmation of when my job training course starts.

Tim
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

trumptons will become famous soon enough

Hi!

Can I hijack this thread? Just checked ecas (submitted docs to London on 01/04) and it has changed to... '

Your application and supporting documents were received by the London England office. They are pending review.

We transferred your application to the London England office on March 10, 2010. The London England office may contact you.'

After a swift forum search it appears we have AOR! We do right?

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.