AOR and bank accounts

Old Sep 5th 2004, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

achak is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile AOR and bank accounts

Hello,

My family and I have just submitted our application for PR vis the skilled worker route. I have been reading the messages with great interest. They are all a huge help as we start the long journey. I have read a couple of postings re timescale and they mention AOR. Call me dense but what is AOR?
Also does anyone know if it's possible to open a bank account in Canada whilst still living in UK?

Thanx

Angela
Old Sep 5th 2004, 5:28 am
squarepants

Default Re: AOR and bank accounts

aor= acknowledgement of receipt !

Its hard to open an account whilst still living in the uk, you need two forms of ID to open a canadian bank account here. I have heard HSBC can open an account for you in the uk, and have it transfered here, but note that they don't have branches in every corner and province, the major 5 banks also charge a monthly transaction fee.

Go for the no fees ones if you can:

presidents choice ( www.pcfinancial.ca )

ing direct ( www.ingdirect.ca )

Originally Posted by achak
Hello,

My family and I have just submitted our application for PR vis the skilled worker route. I have been reading the messages with great interest. They are all a huge help as we start the long journey. I have read a couple of postings re timescale and they mention AOR. Call me dense but what is AOR?
Also does anyone know if it's possible to open a bank account in Canada whilst still living in UK?

Thanx

Angela

Old Sep 5th 2004, 5:44 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

In many countries the Canadian banks are able to open an account in Canada for you unless there is some local law forbidding it. I would not bother though unless you have need for one.

Hello,

Thanx

Angela
Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Squarepants

Thanks for that, I knew it would be something simple.

What is it like in Milton? Is it family friendly? I have not been to Canada so I am in the dark....I know it has got to be better than UK....

If you don't open an account prior to landing how is it possible to bring large amounts of money with you. I'm sorry if these questions seem abit dim but we have literally only just submitted our app.

Any clues on how long the whole process is likely to take would be useful too. We have used an immigration lawyer in Toronto, we have enough points and no medical problems so assuming it will all be straight forward what would be a reasonable length of time to wait?

Thanx

Angela

QUOTE=squarepants]aor= acknowledgement of receipt !

Its hard to open an account whilst still living in the uk, you need two forms of ID to open a canadian bank account here. I have heard HSBC can open an account for you in the uk, and have it transfered here, but note that they don't have branches in every corner and province, the major 5 banks also charge a monthly transaction fee.

Go for the no fees ones if you can:

presidents choice ( www.pcfinancial.ca )

ing direct ( www.ingdirect.ca )[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for replying ,

How is it possible to transfer money if we don't have a bank account in Canada?

Angela

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
In many countries the Canadian banks are able to open an account in Canada for you unless there is some local law forbidding it. I would not bother though unless you have need for one.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:13 am
squarepants

It's nice actually, and yes it's family friendly, and it has quick access to the 401 ( hwy ), that leads to Toronto and western ontario.

http://www.escarpmentcountry.on.ca/

I have heard of people using HIFX or something like that to bring their dough over. What class are you applying under?

Squarepants

Thanks for that, I knew it would be something simple.

What is it like in Milton? Is it family friendly? I have not been to Canada so I am in the dark....I know it has got to be better than UK....

If you don't open an account prior to landing how is it possible to bring large amounts of money with you. I'm sorry if these questions seem abit dim but we have literally only just submitted our app.

Any clues on how long the whole process is likely to take would be useful too. We have used an immigration lawyer in Toronto, we have enough points and no medical problems so assuming it will all be straight forward what would be a reasonable length of time to wait?

Thanx

Angela

Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:30 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It not usually required that you transer funds prior to landing. Is it illegal where you live for a Canadian bank branch or representative in your country to open an account for you in Canada?

Thank you for replying ,

How is it possible to transfer money if we don't have a bank account in Canada?

Angela
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

chrisfearon will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Thanx

Angela
i went over to canada in april and opened a bank account with scotia bank the whole process from start to finish took 5 mins and they only requested driving license and passport.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 11:28 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrisfearon
i went over to canada in april and opened a bank account with scotia bank the whole process from start to finish took 5 mins and they only requested driving license and passport.
I did the same a couple years back. Only issue is: Not being a Canadian Resident (Perm. or temp) I had to pay a foreign residents tax of (I think it was around 30%) on the capital gains I realized with my funds in Canada until I could proove residency.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanx for the link, it was a big help.. It looks lovely.
We are applying as skilled workers. I suppose I am being a bit previous worrying about a bank account when we have only just applied but I imagine carrying a suitcase stuffed with cash and panic.....
:scared:

Originally Posted by squarepants
It's nice actually, and yes it's family friendly, and it has quick access to the 401 ( hwy ), that leads to Toronto and western ontario.

http://www.escarpmentcountry.on.ca/

I have heard of people using HIFX or something like that to bring their dough over. What class are you applying under?
Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:55 am
squarepants

And once you move here, your old IDs won't be good enough, and you will have to provide two new ones, passport and some other one.

Also there is a monthly charge ( transaction fees from the 5 major banks ). Am not used to paying fees, and I refuse to now.

Originally Posted by mhhp
I did the same a couple years back. Only issue is: Not being a Canadian Resident (Perm. or temp) I had to pay a foreign residents tax of (I think it was around 30%) on the capital gains I realized with my funds in Canada until I could proove residency.

Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:57 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Angela

Can I ask what lawyers you are using in Toronto

We are just about to hire the services of Abrams and Krochak , are you to !!!!!!!!

If you are using them, how did you find them ?????

Eddie
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

chrisfearon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by squarepants
And once you move here, your old IDs won't be good enough, and you will have to provide two new ones, passport and some other one.

Also there is a monthly charge ( transaction fees from the 5 major banks ). Am not used to paying fees, and I refuse to now.

i no with scotia bank. if you have more than $2000 in your account and then all fees are waived.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Eddie,

Yes we are using Abrams and Krochak. We are currently in a queue to have our application submitted. They have all the documents and fees and are just sending it to CIC any day now. We have twice had to send additional docs to them so they are very thorough, plus offer a money back guarantee.
They were not cheap but worth every penny when we get in. I am very interested now in how long we are likely to have to wait.

I'll kepp you posted..

Angela
Originally Posted by Voyager970
Angela

Can I ask what lawyers you are using in Toronto

We are just about to hire the services of Abrams and Krochak , are you to !!!!!!!!

If you are using them, how did you find them ?????

Eddie
Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:22 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Angela
We researched and researched the net trying to find a "quoted" legal representative to assist us in our quest to move to Canada.

We found Abrams and Krochak the most suited to our needs, and the best value for money.
I also found them the cheapest, although they are not cheap !!!. I was given quotes of anything up to $3500 to assist us from other established lawyers. They were binned as you would appreciate.

I would be obliged if you could keep me posted, we are applying under Skilled workers class, what are you applying under.

How long did it take you to get all of your documents together ????

I anticipate at least 3 months to gather all the required information for our application.

Keep me posted

Eddie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.