Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

For anyone who has used nexus as a PR

For anyone who has used nexus as a PR

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

tastyh will become famous soon enoughtastyh will become famous soon enough
Default For anyone who has used nexus as a PR

Hi! I'm a PR of Canada and thinking about getting nexus. I am a uk citizen. I cross the border by land and air quite a few times a year and am tired of the long line ups and exhaustive questioning. So although I know that I will still have to travel with my passport and get my fingerprints etc taken every time I need a new vwp stamp, will I still be questioned to the same degree as any other vwp user? Or is it a quick breeze without anything asked?

Also, are you always asked to produce your passport? I always will but just out of interest wonder if you need it, especially for returning to Canada.

Finally, are there any complications with using global entry as a uk citizen?

I appreciate any help, thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice
Default Re: For anyone who has used nexus as a PR

Hi, I've recently applied for mine online and am now 'pending approval'. They took the money so I'm assuming the rest is a formality and I'll be asked for an interview (present documents) soon.

I will be travelling to the US quite a bit with work and just did my first business trip last week. No problem with US customs at Halifax Airport and a 'welcome' home when returning to Canadian Passport control

I had also got an ESTA before I travelled although wasn't sure if this was really necessary ??

I'll pop back and update once/if I get my Nexus ...
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

NEXUS is a good alternative if using major airports or land border crossings though be aware that it is not 24/7 at all land border crossings.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

You use dedicated NEXUS kiosks but be aware that you can be questioned by an officer at any time. What will be funny in a few years time might be that everybody is using NEXUS cards and not enough kiosks so you will end up waiting while the human lines might be shorter
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:03 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

NEXUS is useful for re-entering Canada as a PR. Useless for entering the US until you are a Canadian though. I believe that every time you get a new I-94W this has to be registered with NEXUS, which is obviously more hassle than it is worth. Still useful for getting back to Canada though.