Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Anyone sponsored their spouse from outside of canada?

Anyone sponsored their spouse from outside of canada?

Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

mark-r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone sponsored their spouse from outside of canada?

hi, has anyone living outside of canada, with no job or owned home (in canada) managed to sponsor their wife or husband succesfully?

If so would love to hear from you.

My wife has been living with me in england so quite naturally, i'm worried about her sponsoring me as she has no job or home. I however have a job in canada lined up, and money to get a home straight away if this counts.

Might my wifes parents be able to sponsor me instead of my wife? they have jobs and a big home, not sure if this is possible.

TIA,
Mark.

Last edited by mark-r; Aug 20th 2004 at 1:59 am.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:10 am
Just Joined

sayaka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone sponsored their spouse from outside of canada?

I do not own a home, and I was finishing my Masters degree while I sponsored my husband (successfully!) My income was student loans, a sizeable scholarship, and very part-time work....
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sayaka
I do not own a home, and I was finishing my Masters degree while I sponsored my husband (successfully!) My income was student loans, a sizeable scholarship, and very part-time work....
thanks

that's good to know!!

out of interest we're your family offering to help you out till you got on your feet?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:45 am
Just Joined

sayaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no... I'm very self-sufficient! Although I do suppose they'd help if I'd needed it. But my husband and I have managed on our own...

Best of luck.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sayaka
Oh no... I'm very self-sufficient! Although I do suppose they'd help if I'd needed it. But my husband and I have managed on our own...

Best of luck.
thanks!!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:08 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

You don't need to have a certain income level to sponsor a spouse. Essentially, all they're doing in these circumstances is checking that the applicants are not going to be a danger to the locals - in terms of criminal activity or health. So, according to a lady at the Canadian High Commission, if you're genuinely married and have no criminal record or paticularly nasty infectious or contagious diseases, they'll wave you in.

Originally Posted by mark-r
hi, has anyone living outside of canada, with no job or owned home (in canada) managed to sponsor their wife or husband succesfully?

If so would love to hear from you.

My wife has been living with me in england so quite naturally, i'm worried about her sponsoring me as she has no job or home. I however have a job in canada lined up, and money to get a home straight away if this counts.

Might my wifes parents be able to sponsor me instead of my wife? they have jobs and a big home, not sure if this is possible.

TIA,
Mark.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rhodes
You don't need to have a certain income level to sponsor a spouse. Essentially, all they're doing in these circumstances is checking that the applicants are not going to be a danger to the locals - in terms of criminal activity or health. So, according to a lady at the Canadian High Commission, if you're genuinely married and have no criminal record or paticularly nasty infectious or contagious diseases, they'll wave you in.
ahh thanks mate that's really helpful, thanks ever so much

Last edited by mark-r; Aug 24th 2004 at 12:06 am.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you've had all the answers you need but I'll add mine in aswell. My Canadian wife has lived here with me in the UK for the last four years and has sponsored me to move to Canada. It was pretty straight forward with no requirement of income but she did have to confirm that she would be returning to Canada to live. The process took a little over six months and we fly out next month.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stepnek
Looks like you've had all the answers you need but I'll add mine in aswell. My Canadian wife has lived here with me in the UK for the last four years and has sponsored me to move to Canada. It was pretty straight forward with no requirement of income but she did have to confirm that she would be returning to Canada to live. The process took a little over six months and we fly out next month.
great, thanks mate. all sounds really good for me then, especially as we managed to get a spouse visa for england.

thanks mate and best of luck!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 10:50 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Originally Posted by stepnek
The bit about proving that we were going to live in Canada was the bit I found most difficult to understand. We just said that we were going to stay with my wife's parents and left it at that, I think!

Can I ask on what dates you put in your application, when your wife was approved as sponsor, when you got your request for passports and so on, please, stepnek? We sent the papers off in April (received in Mississauga on 27th) and they started processing my bit of the application on 8th June. I know it's early days, but I am wondering when I might hear from them again.

Of course, I know that every case is different and I should be patient, but I am finding the latter rather difficult!
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Lori6666 is an unknown quantity at this point

When it asked for proof of returning to Canada on the forms - I had my Dad write a letter. I was going back to Canada to work for the family company - and my spouse was hoping to join us in the ranching side of the company. In Dad's letter - he wrote he was looking forward to having my spouse join him in the company as he would be an asset due to his experience and education levels.