Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved to Canada as a newly qualified OT?

Anyone moved to Canada as a newly qualified OT?

Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:54 am
Just Joined

chuchip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone moved to Canada as a newly qualified OT?

I've been looking at the gocanadaot website, which has a 'success story' featuring a woman from the UK who moved to Canada as a newly qualified occupational therapist. However, I thought at least a year's experience was needed first. Has anyone moved either way? I'm also interested to hear about experiences of OTs on temporary work permits. Thank you.

Last edited by chuchip; Dec 14th 2014 at 12:56 am.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved to Canada as a newly qualified OT?

How old are you? If you're 30 or under check out IEC, will be your easiest and quickest option.

International Experience Canada - travel and work abroad
Old Dec 14th 2014, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
How old are you? If you're 30 or under check out IEC, will be your easiest and quickest option.

International Experience Canada - travel and work abroad
I'm sadly too old for the IEC, otherwise I'd go for that.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chuchip
I'm sadly too old for the IEC, otherwise I'd go for that.
Ah thats a shame. Sorry, my knowledge outside of IEC is pretty limited, someone with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly. I imagine without any experience you'll have a hard time with it though. How about any other professional experience prior to training in OT?
Old Dec 14th 2014, 7:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a regulated occupation in most Provinces, so you would need to ascertain the requirements to register for the Province of choice. Occupational Therapists (NOC 3143-A) - Vancouver Island and Coast Region, British Columbia - education and job requirements (national) - Job Bank (you can also see what jobs are available here).

Once you have that sorted out you can look into the different streams for PR.

Welcome to BE by the way!
Old Dec 14th 2014, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's a regulated occupation in most Provinces, so you would need to ascertain the requirements to register for the Province of choice. Occupational Therapists (NOC 3143-A) - Vancouver Island and Coast Region, British Columbia - education and job requirements (national) - Job Bank (you can also see what jobs are available here).

Thank you and thank you also to ChrisBan. Would it be potentially possible to get a twp once qualified and work for a year as an OT assistant? During that time I could gain some experience within the right environment and also be able to sit the assessment/exam.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Thank you and thank you also to ChrisBan. Would it be potentially possible to get a twp once qualified and work for a year as an OT assistant? During that time I could gain some experience within the right environment and also be able to sit the assessment/exam.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd think it fairly unlikely tbh. I doubt that it would be worth anybody's while to pay $1000 and wait months for you to be able to start work if you were an assistant, not to mention having to prove that no Canadian could do it, but you can certainly job hunt and see what happens!

Best of luck.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd think it fairly unlikely tbh. I doubt that it would be worth anybody's while to pay $1000 and wait months for you to be able to start work if you were an assistant, not to mention having to prove that no Canadian could do it, but you can certainly job hunt and see what happens!

Best of luck.
Thank you. I guess so. Perhaps a temporary position on a twp as an OT, with a view to possibly doing the experience class route later on. I've seen several OT roles that state a degree but don't specify experience, while others do.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I guess so. Perhaps a temporary position on a twp as an OT, with a view to possibly doing the experience class route later on. I've seen several OT roles that state a degree but don't specify experience, while others do.
If you can get a TWP (bearing in mind the stumbling blocks I mentioned above), then you wouldn't need to wait a year to apply for PR via the CEC, as it's a skilled job you should be able to apply under the new Express Entry (FSW or PNP).

Good luck.