British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Anyone have a LMO approved first time? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/anyone-have-lmo-approved-first-time-833917/)

ktmumma May 14th 2014 9:56 pm

Anyone have a LMO approved first time?

Hi,

We are in England currently and my husband has a job offer with a Canadaian company. They are going to apply for a LMO very soon we hope. :fingerscrossed: I have read a lot about LMO rejection and negative results, especially for first applications. I was wondering if any of you have had positive approved LMOs on first application?

We are trying not to get too excited yet as I guess if it is denied we won't be able to go unless they reapply and it get approved but not sure how long they will be willing to wait. :unsure: I also know that his work place have never recruited in this way before, so are new to applying for LMOs and. HR were reluctant to go ahead with it to begin with.

Any insight into how the process went for you would be really helpful.

We are feeling in limbo at the moment but hoping it will all be worth it in the end and we will finally get to begin our Canadian life!

Thank you.

GC44 May 15th 2014 2:28 am

Re: Anyone have a LMO approved first time?

Our LMO was rejected on the first 2 attempts cause the company tried to take shortcuts in the process ie not advertising the vacancy correctly locally or nationally. Silly things that cost them time and effort and cost us sleepless nights. Try to ensure the company that is applying for yours dot there I's and cross there T's, recommend they contact there provincial immigration department for advice on the LMO process if unsure about anything.
Our (companies) 3rd application was successful and we have never looked back.
Good luck.

red_onion May 15th 2014 2:59 am

Yes, I was lucky enough to get my LMO approved first time. I'm in IT and it took around 6 months.

scootb May 15th 2014 11:58 am

Got added to an ALMO within weeks!

christmasoompa May 15th 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by scootb (Post 11261524)
Got added to an ALMO within weeks!

A-LMO's don't exist anymore though, so probably not terribly relevant to the OP. :D

scootb May 15th 2014 12:07 pm

I know,but it felt good getting something like that so fast lol.

bc_guy May 15th 2014 12:24 pm

I noticed a pattern where all of my LMO processing times for recent jobs had a 70-day rule. You count only the working days and not weekends or holidays. Therefore 14 - 16 weeks, however some abnormal applications can take even longer.

My job is in fast food, so more highly-skilled LMOs take much less time than this. My employer applied for LMOs that got decisions in exactly 70 working days. One of them was approved on the first try (before the new rules came into effect last year), while the other was rejected (under the new rules). The rejected one was appealed for 2 months and then approved. In total, it took just one week shy of 6 months to get that LMO.

LMO processing times can drag on for 5 - 6 months if further investigation is warranted by Service Canada. It's probably best to bombard Service Canada with as many extra documents as you can from the get-go. That way, they won't doubt or scrutinize your application, making the process even longer than it needs to be.

lounan May 15th 2014 1:13 pm

3 LMO's all approved first time, roughly 8 weeks, husband in Games Industry.
First one approved from the u.k, other two from Canada.

ktmumma May 15th 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. It is good to know that it does happen, just hope his company complete everything that needs to be completed correctly. Crazy to think that our future is going to be in the hands of complete strangers and down to paperwork being done correctly! Not liking it being so out of my control. Fingers crossed!

Eddmac May 15th 2014 11:32 pm

I just received the bad news (half an hour ago) that my LMO had been rejected. The LMO was applied for approx six weeks ago and it was rejected due to not complying fully with the advertising rquirements - bit disappointing as I had been assured they had complied - but they hadnt advertised on he WorkBC site and that got the rejection.

Now they have to re-advertise on this site for an another 4 weeks and then they can re-apply. Im massively gutted but hope that the second application is turned around in 6 weeks as this still puts me on track for an August arrival.

Fingers crossed.

Aqua May 16th 2014 1:02 am

I had mine approved first time, I'm a PM. They had to advertise the vacancy for 6 weeks

bc_guy May 16th 2014 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Eddmac (Post 11262467)
I just received the bad news (half an hour ago) that my LMO had been rejected. The LMO was applied for approx six weeks ago and it was rejected due to not complying fully with the advertising rquirements - bit disappointing as I had been assured they had complied - but they hadnt advertised on he WorkBC site and that got the rejection.

Now they have to re-advertise on this site for an another 4 weeks and then they can re-apply. Im massively gutted but hope that the second application is turned around in 6 weeks as this still puts me on track for an August arrival.

Fingers crossed.

I know how you feel. Waiting around for an LMO really sucks. Also, you might have to wait longer longer than 6 weeks since they're going to lift the moratorium on the food service industry really soon (before the end of next month). There will, without a doubt, be a major backlog of LMO applications when that happens, as weeks worth of LMO applications come surging into Service Canada all at once.

Geordie Lass May 16th 2014 3:04 am

Yes my husbands was approved 1st time. See my timeline for how long it took from approval to moving over to PR etc.

"Limbo" is the right word. You don't know whether you are coming or going (literally) waiting on an LMO decision

Good Luck! :)

fabretti18 May 16th 2014 3:28 am

Got mine first time, took approx. 8 weeks but then there's not many shepherds in this part of Canada :)

Mikeypm May 16th 2014 5:43 am

Mine took over 20 weeks, but it eventually happened and I'm hoping the LMO for my TWP extension does not take as long. Meanwhile the PR app gets sent back next week. Forgot to include a translation of my OH's birth certificate and had the whole app sent back doh